ATF replacement schedule

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014 | 08:26 PM
Advanced

ATF replacement schedule

I have 90K on my 07 base RDX. I never got a "3" service symbol to replace the ATF. According to the manual it should be replaced at 60K if driving mountains or towing. I only drive city.
In the last visit to the dealer they said the ATF is discolored. I guess it's due for replacement. I saw a thread in the DIY that it shouldn't be flushed. I guess there is a difference between replacing it and flushing the old ATF? Perhaps flushing moves grit around and may get jammed? My transmission has been working fine and want to keep it that way.

I have only had the rear differential fluid replaced twice so far. (Service symbol 6)
Also had the brake fluid flushed once at 45K, and it is now discolored (light beige), so I guess I have to change the brake fluid as well. There is no recommended schedule for brake fluid replacement in the manual. My brakes feel fine. But I guess it's not much money so I'll have that flushed.
Old 01-08-2014 | 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stathis
I have 90K on my 07 base RDX. I never got a "3" service symbol to replace the ATF. According to the manual it should be replaced at 60K if driving mountains or towing. ... I guess it's due for replacement. ...
I do not see a specific question, but will observe that there is a thread in the gen-TWO section of this forum, where more than one person has stated that the "3" service symbol to replace the ATF, occcurred at around an initial 30K miles.

I would have to wonder why the gen-TWO transmission requires ATF replacement more often than the gen-ONE trans ATF.

Obviously, if the gen-ONE requirement to replace ATF initially is only at 60K miles under severe conditions, then we may assume that under non-severe conditions, the first replacement requirement would occur at a longer interval. Yet the gen-TWO RDX sometimes requires ATF replacement much sooner than 60K miles.

Anyone know if there is a gen-TWO severe replacement interval, similar to such requirement for the gen-ONE RDX?
Old 01-16-2014 | 08:21 PM
Advanced

I wanted to see what has been the experience of other RDX 1 owners, regarding replacement of ATF, and brake fluid.
I guess 90K is probably a long time for ATF. But I'm not sure how to judge the color of the ATF, I don't really have a way to compare.
Similarly, the brake fluid is light beige, not yellow now, but I guess 45K is probably time to replace.
Old 01-18-2014 | 03:15 AM
haole kama'a-ina

I guess 90K is probably a long time for ATF. But I'm not sure how to judge the color of the ATF

No need to judge the color of the ATF; at 90k miles, it is overdue for a full replacement. The transfer unit oil should also be replaced. It's probably about time for the rear diff again as well.

At 90k miles, the power steering fluid should be replaced.

It is also time to replace the brake fluid again.

Auto systems don't usually fail -- the neglected fluid goes bad and ruins them.
Old 01-18-2014 | 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I wanted to see what has been the experience of other RDX 1 owners, regarding replacement of ATF, and brake fluid. ...
Oh, OK<

I replace the brake fluid yearly, to prevent damage to the ABS pump from rust.

I replace the power steering fluid yearly, using the turkey baseter method, and added an inline filter, to prevent damage to the pump and rack. See the DIY section.

I replace the rear diff ATF at 15K miles, but I am using fully synthetic RedLine brand D4 compatible with Z1, supposedly not compatible with DPSF, but then, I don't consider DPSF a good rear diff fluid - make your own choices. And based upon the amount of material on the drain plug magnet, either the clutches are seldom used, which is not unexpected knowing the driver, or else the synthetic D4 really works well. Only two small trace stripes appear on the magnet, on each side of the magnet, the two poles.

I replace the front diff/ transfer case fluid at 10K miles, but I am using fully synthetic Mobil-1 75W90 and have added a magnetic drain plug. And yes, I know its not a differential - that is inside the transmission cases.

For ATF, I added an inline filter in the cooler circuit. See the DIY section. I do one drain and fill every 5k - 10K miles, depending upon whether city or highway driving. And I am using RedLine brand D4 mixed with RedLine Racing type ATF, mixed 50:50, fully synthetic ATF.

Here are my opinions about ATF in case you missed them, :
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14810985#post14810985

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14837258#post14837258

Last edited by dcmodels; 01-18-2014 at 09:45 PM.