Approaching 100k Timing Chain/Plug/Valve Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:15 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Approaching 100k Timing Chain/Plug/Valve Service

On my '07 RDX Tech. Was at my dealer today getting 97k service - tranny fluids changed: $300. I've saved quite a bit of cash on free oil changes there so I don't mind too much taking the car in for stuff like this and the RDX is kind of complicated after all with the turbo. Anyway, Tech informed me that I'd have another service minder come on soon, this one she said will cost ~ $650...now we are getting into some very costly territory.

She said it was MM 4 which according to Acura site is:

5 Speed Automatic w/Technology Package - Recommended service:

Replace spark plugs
Inspect valve clearance

Independent of the maintenance items in the information display, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).
Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 only if they are noisy.

She also said they adjust the timing chain if necessary.

Q: Has anyone had this done at dealer or elsewhere, and what did you pay?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to add onto your question since my car is is about to due for the same service. Do we need to change the water pump on these rdx along with the serpentine belt?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Spark plug service is your cost driver there, but if you can DIY it you'll save a ton. Dealers generally charge 15 or so per plug, plus a couple hours of labor due to having to remove the intercooler. If you do this yourself, you can buy the plugs for under 10 each and that's all the money you'll have to spend. Plenty of how-to's here on taking off the i/c.

Also I believe the water pump is power by the timing chain, no need give it a glance when changing the serpent belt. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong there,
The following users liked this post:
Pacer (04-16-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

There is no such thing as a free oil change. You're paying for it over time. Water pump is externally driven on the accessory belt. Look closely and you'll see the 3 bolt bell and hoses. There is a weep hole on a pump body under the spindle to indicate if a seal is bad. Its not really complicated, but there are a few extra parts that make it seem that way. You can do the plugs in an afternoon, giving you a good chance to run some coil cleaner over the dirty I/C. adjusting chain tension shouldnt be necessary. I think its a hydro/automatic tensioner.

Valve clearance is another thing. I will do my own on the s2k but thats because I like to drive it hard and have frequent high rpm operation. Typically, the techs will check the play in the rockers and only adjust it if it requires it and sometimes not at all. You can do it with regular tools, but for $10 you can get a special wrench with built in screw driver for doing the maintenance much easier. If its not "noisy" I wouldnt bother disturbing it for another 50k. Being an automatic is like having a layer of protection on the drivetrain. Slightly out of spec will result in a little power and economy loss you probably dont notice. It already gets pathetic gas mileage.

So, plugs - DIY $40 parts

Coolant, DIY. $50 parts (2 gallons needed to drain/fill, good for another 60k)

A valve adjustment job might cost 300 by itself unless you know a self-taught expert. I find the dealerships to be rather clueless (all brands) in most cases.

Are you awd? How are the axles and vibration?
The following users liked this post:
Pacer (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:42 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm SH-AWD. Smooth on highway and elsewhere, haven't noticed any vibration.

Thanks for the tips, gents.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
A few months ago I had taken my RDX to an independent shop that only does Honda/Acuras. They charged me $200 to replace the spark plugs (MM 4).
Old 05-21-2016, 12:42 AM
Intermediate

Holy shit. I charged myself $40 - the cost of plugs. All you need is the plugs and basic tools. A wrench that does lb/in helps, but not "necessary". Having to take off all the stuff on top could warrant the charge of 200 by any shop because they're charging you an overestimated value based on the hours book.