A3 service minder, followed by B13?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A3 service minder, followed by B13?

A few months ago I had service A3, oil change and transmission fluid flush.
Now the minder says B13, so oil/filter, and also transmission flush again?? In just 4 months??

RDX 2007, base, 95K. Shifts great.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by stathis
A few months ago I had service A3, oil change and transmission fluid flush.
Now the minder says B13, so oil/filter, and also transmission flush again?? In just 4 months??

RDX 2007, base, 95K. Shifts great.
When, oh when, will people learn to provide enough data for a response? Who did the service, and who reset the MID, on the initial A3? Has a *3* ever been shown on the MID, previous? Have you always owned the vehicle from new? or purchase used? We can't see your vehicle, can't read your mind.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:55 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
I get my RDX serviced at the Acura dealership and I have to double-check to make sure they do everything. I would check your last service receipt to make sure they did a full "A3" service or "A" service and forgot about the 5AT and/or transfer fluid changes. I'm not sure if the M.I.D. is smart enough to know if fluids where changed or not after the M.I.D. is reset at the last service?

A: Replace Engine Oil
B: Replace engine oil and oil filter. Inspect various systems and components.

1: Rotate tires and check tire pressure and condition
2: Replace air cleaner element, check drive belt, and replace dust and pollen filter
3: Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped).
4: Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt (if equipped), inspect water pump, and inspect valve clearance.
5: Replace engine coolant.
6: Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped).
Old 05-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Dealer has done all the servicing and resetting. Never had a 3 service until the A3 at around 90K.
I'm the original owner.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I get my RDX serviced at the Acura dealership and I have to double-check to make sure they do everything. I would check your last service receipt to make sure they did a full "A3" service or "A" service and forgot about the 5AT and/or transfer fluid changes. I'm not sure if the M.I.D. is smart enough to know if fluids where changed or not after the M.I.D. is reset at the last service?
NO - if the MID notification is *not* reset, the MID assumes the fluid was not changed. If the MID notification *is-reset*, the MID assumes the fluid *was* changed. Its not magic.

And to the OPer, sorry, my thought process did not completely make it into my previous reply - the dealer has the ability to individually reset the various notifications on the MID, and may have not reset the "3" service the first time (A3), so it was "still-there" at the next MID report (B13). When you yourself reset the MID, all notifications are reset. The dealer resets them (usually) individually.

And as MRGOLD has said - you can/ should check yourself, after the service, to see if the MID has been reset correctly, by looking at the MID yourself. See your OM for how-to.

Last edited by dcmodels; 05-16-2014 at 12:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 08:26 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmodels
the dealer has the ability to individually reset the various notifications on the MID, and may have not reset the "3" service the first time (A3), so it was "still-there" at the next MID report (B13). When you yourself reset the MID, all notifications are reset. The dealer resets them (usually) individually.
That is good to know. I usually change my AT and transfer case oil early before the M.I.D. notification. I hope they reset the M.I.D. for those items when they change out the fluids?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced

According to the manual it is easy to reset the MID in my base RDX. Press and hold the reset knob for 10 sec. I didn't know the dealer could reset each service item separately. That explains it. They probably forgot the "3".
In any case, last visit they charged me $150 for the ATF flush. I have to take this at face value, so it was done already.
Bottom line is, next ATF flush is at 180K, other things equal.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 236 Likes on 208 Posts
The tranny flush may actually pop up every 30k or so going forward. I believe each flush changes out about 1/3 of the fluid, so after the first it becomes a fairly regular maintenance. However if you want to save money look for a shop the specializes in Honda / Acuras. The one I go to only charges about 60 bucks for the flush.

There is a documented procedure that calls for flushing it 3 times with some driving in between to mix the fluids, but I don't see the dealer doing that for 150. (based on the parts and labor required I'd think a dealer would charge at least 300). I think it's 9 quarts (@ ~10 bucks per) plus a good 90 minutes of labor if you do the full deal.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
... I usually change my AT and transfer case oil early before the M.I.D. notification. I hope they reset the M.I.D. for those items when they change out the fluids?
I am going to guess that you are asking if the ATF is changed *early*, before the automatic MID notification, will the *dealer* reset the MID notification for the ATF?

The dealer uses the special Honda *device* which interfaces with the ODBII port, to read DTCs and also to reset any MID notifications. I do not know really how that device reads or resets MID notifications. But I would guess that if the MID has not actually reported a notification, then the dealer cannot reset such notification, since there is no actual notification. Or in other words, the dealer cannot reset the start of a new service period for that item - but I do not know that for a fact.

So performing any service early, such as an ATF change, means that you must then keep track of when to do it again (determine the next service interval).

However, do keep in mind, that a MID notification can be seen, before the MID displays 15% oil life and automatically *notifies* the driver that a service is due, when the engine is first started.

That is, you can use the driver procedure that would normally be used to actually manually reset the MID, to just view any current notifications and the current oil life, without actually performing a reset (CANCEL). In other words, any notification, such as ATF (3), may (or may not) be displayed by the MID, *before* the oil life reaches 15%.

I hope that the above is clear, but it is the best I can do with the "written word".

Last edited by dcmodels; 05-19-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Lets keep in mind that I only drove 4K miles since the last ATF flush per the A3 MID.

About costs: I have the current service coupon for "3" " replace transmission fluid" from the S Monica Acura dealer at $130.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Follow-up: I went to the dealer and they said, only do the B1 service, ATF is fine, and they reset the "3" symbol.
It is useful to have all work at the dealer, they have all the info in their system. So there is no confusion as to what needs get done.
Old 07-12-2024, 06:36 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by stathis
Follow-up: I went to the dealer and they said, only do the B1 service, ATF is fine, and they reset the "3" symbol.
It is useful to have all work at the dealer, they have all the info in their system here. So there is no confusion as to what needs get done.
My trusty C250CDi is approaching its 5th birthday and 43000 miles. The display has just come up with service A3 required. It looks a fairly simple service, but MBs online service calculator says this is a £950 job, a B service plus change brake fluid & fuel filter (both done last year), air filter change and auto transmission oil & filter change, £64 and £345 respectively. My question is that £345 seems a lot for the transmission work, is it amazingly complex or just MB dealer pricing. Is it the sort of thing my indy servicer could do?
Old 07-12-2024, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,691 Likes on 6,705 Posts
Originally Posted by alexanderowen
. Is it the sort of thing my indy servicer could do?
of course they can