2008 RDX: Hesitant start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 RDX: Hesitant start

Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a new 2008 RDX-- so far have been very pleased and enjoy the car greatly, but was curious about one thing.

Every so often (about 50% of the time), I notice that the car takes a while to start up. This can occur at first start-up for the day when cold, or even after subsequent startups with a warm engine. It seems to take a while to crank before it actually turns over, almost like it is "hesitant" to turn-over. It does not seem to be a battery issue, as it seems that the starter is operational completely and the starter itself is not sluggish, it's just that the engine does not "catch" immediately. It's almost as if the starter is "spinning" a while before the engine catches. A few times, I have actually had to pause (because it will not turn over after about 5-8 seconds), wait, and try again before the car will start up. Once started up, I have no problems thereafter. It idles fine and seems to be at an acceptable level, and does not stall out at any point after the initial hesitancy. I notice no performance lags either. I have used the required premium gas and have even tried fuel from several stations to no avail.

Anyone having similar issues? I figured I'd ask here first before a trip to the dealer. I wasn't sure if this was a normal characteristic for the startup of this car, as this is my first turbocharged engine. However, I have never had a Honda take so long to start up successfully, or actually have "failed" startup attempts before as I have with this vehicle.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
5-8 seconds? if that is correct, then there is an issue. hmmm...i assume no check engine light. how long have you owned the RDX and how many miles are on it? if you take to the dealer, they will look at it - start it a few times and tell you NPF (no problem found)...believe me - possibly a fuel pressure issue but not sure...GOOD LUCK!!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah it's about 5 seconds on average (but again does not happen all the time). The car has about 800 miles on it and was picked up new off the lot in the middle of December, 2007. There are no warning lights whatsoever and everything else appears to be working normally.

It just seems to turn-over a lot slower than it should.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Advanced

I also have a 2008 with the same problem. I went to Acura and asked if there were any issues with the 08's starting. They said NO. They also said to make an appointment if it continues. They said the bluetooth HFL could be causing a draw problem.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85300
https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-clubs-meets-15/track-meet-sat-byron-il-april-12-a-100058/

My 2004 TL acted similarly at times and above are links to the discussion relative to the TL. Both engines are ULEV, so perhaps the same is true for the RDX.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the link. I'll see what happens.. maybe try holding out a bit longer before starting after I turn the key to on. It's just very unpredictable; sometimes turns right over when cold, and less quickly so when hot.

Part of it may be the entirely different starting "characteristic" of this vehicle compared to my old '00 Accord-- this car is without that characteristic "Honda" start-up sound! A completely different "feel" altogether.

Though, having to try starting the car twice was a bit annoying.

Thanks for all the advice.. will keep you all advised.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:19 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Seekup41
Thanks for the link. I'll see what happens.. maybe try holding out a bit longer before starting after I turn the key to on. It's just very unpredictable; sometimes turns right over when cold, and less quickly so when hot.
Fuel injection lines are more subject to vapor lock when hot, and of course the engine will not run until it has purged vapor from the fuel rail.

From the RDX Service Manual:

The fuel pump should run for 2 seconds when the ignition switch is first turned on.
They mean when the switch is placed to "On" not the spring-loaded start position. Operating the fuel pump pressurizes the line from the tank all the way to the fuel injectors. All new cars are fuel injected and have a means of running the fuel pump before start. VW does it when the driver door opens. Most cars do it at ignition switch to "On".

As a general procedure, turn the key to "On" and watch the needles do their cool sweep thing, that's enough time to pressurize the line. Then go to "Start" and the engine should fire right up.

If you are still having a problem, there may be a fuel pump issue. Open the fuel door and remove the cap. Put your ear close to the fuel port and listen for the fuel pump while someone turns the key to "On" without starting the engine. The pump should run smoothly with no chattering for 2 seconds.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
I once turned the key to start the car quickly and didn't wait for the fuel pump to prime (I usually do) and the car just made a noise one would hear when you start an already started car.

Let it set for a second or 2 while the fuel pump did its thing and boom starts fine and dandy.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
Fuel injection lines are more subject to vapor lock when hot, and of course the engine will not run until it has purged vapor from the fuel rail.

As a general procedure, turn the key to "On" and watch the needles do their cool sweep thing, that's enough time to pressurize the line. Then go to "Start" and the engine should fire right up.

If you are still having a problem, there may be a fuel pump issue. Open the fuel door and remove the cap. Put your ear close to the fuel port and listen for the fuel pump while someone turns the key to "On" without starting the engine. The pump should run smoothly with no chattering for 2 seconds.
Today upon a cold start, I experienced the same problem. This time I even turned the key to "on" first and waited about 5-8 seconds until the needles swept and everything should have been pressurized. Still, a sluggish start. It felt like it wasn't going to turn over again. Lots of spinning as the starter tried to engage, and then voila, it started. Still took about 5-6 seconds though. No warning lights or anything thereafter and I have no problems once running.

Could gas have anything to do with this (i.e., winter mix or a less than quality supply)? I try to always be selective in the gas I use (especially now since this is my first turbocharged engine) but sometimes wonder if this is a factor, though I'm beginning to wonder if this is really a mechanical issue deep down. I will try to get someone to listen to the fuel pump next time.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Is your car parked on an incli ne?E
Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Cruisin'

Nope. Parked flat all the time.

The temperature today was about 55 on startup--- though this problem happens equally between warm and cold extremes.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds to be like you have a problem with the fuel pump in the car. I had this problem with another car took it in and it ended up being the fuel pump. The thing is if the dealership ran a diagnostics test earlier it should have caught it. But I would take it in and have them check that for sure.

If they still don't find anything I would leave it at the dealership overnight on a cold night so they can experience it themselves.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
haole kama'a-ina

From the RDX Service Manual:

Engine is hard to start:

1. Check for Fuel Injection Diagnostic Trouble Codes
2. Check Immobilizer status and function
3. Check fuel pressure
4. Check plugged or damaged fuel line
5. Check for plugged fuel filter

Engine cranks slowly:

1. Check for loose battery terminals or connections
2. Test battery for low charge
3. Check starter for binding
4. Check for excessive drag in the engine
Because some RDXs had battery issues, that might be a good place to start. The battery may have enough charge to make the starter sound normal, but not enough for the computer driven systems. Also, a connection that feels tight to the hand may need another half turn for good electrical contact. Less than optimal contact can play havok with new cars.

Some of the other items on the list are not very likely with a brand new car, but they should certainly check FI DTCs, Immobilizer status and fuel pressure.

Good luck, and let us know.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Seekup41
This time I even turned the key to "on" first and waited about 5-8 seconds until the needles swept .
I've never seen the gauge needle sweeping when I turn the key to "on". I have a 2008 tech. Is this a 2007 feature?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

I've had the same thing happen to my 2008 Base that I picked up a few weeks ago. Only 850km on it so far. I keep it in a level garage. A couple times starting it cold it hesitates like described. Not enough to really bother me though, so I don't think much of it. But surprising to hear other people are having the same problem.

I didn't know about waiting a few seconds in On to start the car. I have to admit I just hop in and crank it over. I'll have to take my time from now on - soaking in that new car smell for a bit before starting up.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Cruisin'

I have a 2008 tech package and have the same problem. Not as bad as others but the start is a bit hesitant. I will have to try what others advised (turn the key to on for a few seconds and then start) and see if it makes any difference.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Advanced

m900s,
I believe the needle that moves is the fuel gauge. My 08 tech pack fuel needle moves when the key is turned. I have been waiting to start until it stops moving . It seems better but it hasnt been cold here either.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 AM
haole kama'a-ina

The needles don't sweep. I was thinking of another car.

My humblest apologies.

Just turn to "On" and ponder Joe Biden's presidential campaign. That should do it.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Jock
The needles don't sweep. I was thinking of another car.

My humblest apologies.

Just turn to "On" and ponder Joe Biden's presidential campaign. That should do it.

GM's needles sweep lol.

Honda's beep.