07 RDX Steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07 RDX Steering noise

Hello everyone, got the RDX a few months back for the wife, she was telling about a weird noise in the steering, however it went away before I could hear it. well last night it was a about 53 degrees and the noise happened. Weird thing is the noise went away as fast as it appeared. PS fluid if full. I am thinking O ring from my research here. I am thinking I am going to have to do a drain and flush of the system as I don't know when or if the PS was ever serviced.

should I go to the stealership? or is this something any mechanic can do? Thanks in advance for your help.

Video is below

Old 05-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmax
Hello everyone, got the RDX a few months back for the wife, she was telling about a weird noise in the steering, however it went away before I could hear it. well last night it was a about 53 degrees and the noise happened. Weird thing is the noise went away as fast as it appeared. PS fluid if full. I am thinking O ring from my research here. I am thinking I am going to have to do a drain and flush of the system as I don't know when or if the PS was ever serviced.

should I go to the stealership? or is this something any mechanic can do? Thanks in advance for your help.
My dealer charges about $100 for a PS flush. The problem may also be the accessory drive belt, or one of the belt wheels. You have not stated the age (year) or miles on your vehicle. No data from you = difficult for us to help you.

You can use the Turkey Baster method to replace the PS fluid yourself, over a couple of days, or even in one day. Takes about 15 minutes to drain the PS tank once, and you do that about 6 times to replace around 70-80% of the old fluid.

Here is a thread, scroll down or use the table of contents at the beginning of the first post:
REPLACE THE POWER STEERING FLUID USING THE TURKEY BASTER METHOD:
FLUSH THE POWER STEERING FLUID:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828859

That thread also describes a method to fully flush the old fluid, but requires removing the right front wheel and wheel well inside plastic splash shield. But that is still easier than another thread which describes a flush which requires removing the front bumper.
======================

Your problem of course, is that by the time there is noise, it is likely that either the pump or the steering rack has been damaged. The rubber seals wear from the slurry of metal particles and PS fluid. Over a period of time, the aluminum parts of the steering rack also wear.

There is a thread in the TL section which describes replacing the seals in the pump, for like <$10. A new OEM pump is several hundred dollars.
========================

Try searching this forum for more info.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Wow, heard some odd noises in this clip, turned out to be some kids down the hall.

take it to the stealership.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DEFINITELY the o-ring!

Found this thread last night:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/diy-105-power-steering-whine-fix-754586/

Bought the o-ring today from my local Acura dealership for $.75. It took less than 5 minutes to remove the 10mm bolt and swap out the crappy black o-ring for the new orange one.

Don't unnecessarily give you $ to the stealership! 10mm open box wrench (stubby one if you got it) will get the job done. I changed mine at lunch in the parking lot at work.

GL
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (06-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Well good for you!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the late reply guys been working hard and log hours this past month, and noise hasn't resurfaced, however I am changing the Oring this week. I have a good mechanic friend (works on my maxima and he owns a tl so he know all about it). Just so you guys know my RDX is an 07 RDX tech with 44k.

Thank you Mr Marco and DC Models
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (06-08-2013)