Why isn't methanol injection more popular?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 03:12 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why isn't methanol injection more popular?

I am wondering why there are so few water/methanol injection setups on here. I have an 08 with the old Hondata reflash. I am considering Flashpro and from what I have read it seems the stock setup is very likely to knock outside optimal conditions. The tuning notes I've looked at seem to suggest that adding boost means accepting that the ECU will pull a bunch of timing. This still produces a net increase in power, but wouldn't dealing with the knock produce great bang for the buck? Wouldn't adding methanol injection with even the basic reflash allow the ECU to preserve timing, increasing power 10-20% for the same boost levels? Hondata even notes (in reflash docs) specifically that higher octane gas alone would likely show gains for the reflash tune. I only can find one member (Ivan_baez) even using it at all.

Is there some reason I am missing for avoiding a water/meth injection setup?
Old 08-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Because most people don't want to deal with a secondary system. I ran it on my turbo accord v6 and it was awesome, then the pump and failsafe died and dumped 2 gallon of water meth into the engine, intercooler, and pipes.

Another thing is is if you run out of water meth and you are tuned on it. Can the parameter in your tune pull timing fast enough to avoid detonation.

Dont get get me wrong water meth is great. Allowed me to run extra timing and what not by lowering IAT
The following users liked this post:
AZ_RDX_08 (08-06-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:20 AM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
And additional system to fail and also maintain. The ECU / hondata doesn't have enough flexibility or access to get it to run the specified timing.