Old 02-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
RV6 07-12 RDX Downpipe Tax Return Sale!

http://rv6-p.com/rdx-downpipe.html
Old 02-21-2014, 05:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pardon my ignorance and sheer newbieness but can this mod be done on the rdx without engine management. This is the 3rd turbo car I've owned and they are all a little different
Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 AM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
depends on what else is done to your vehicle.. if you do this with a full exhaust and intake you are fine.. if you do all the above and the regular reflash it will make you run too lean and can cause issues.. tuning is key instead of a regular reflash if you have all the bolt ons
Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Cruisin'

So bolt ons with no engine management are preferred over bolt ons with off the shelf reflash but obviously bolt ons with a custom tune is ideal? Sorry to clog this vendors thread but I am trying to understand.
The biggest downside of buying a new vehicle is becoming a forums newbie again
Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vinnyd00
Pardon my ignorance and sheer newbieness but can this mod be done on the rdx without engine management. This is the 3rd turbo car I've owned and they are all a little different
The RDX uses a ECU with a Wideband O2 sensor and preset AFR tables. It can compensate for pretty much any bolt mods. You can get more power out with a tune since the stock AFR maps are pretty rich. However I can't see any bolt on that could make the ECU not be able to hit its preset AFR. If you somehow did run lean the ECU would go into a limp mode.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM
WTF?

^ all true.. the rdx is a rich pig so running all boltons with no tuning is fine.. if you add the hondata reflash though it makes it run to lean which is why people get the custom tune or the flashpro..
Old 02-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you both. Also helps explain my crap for gas mileage
Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bluecarbonfiber
^ all true.. the rdx is a rich pig so running all boltons with no tuning is fine.. if you add the hondata reflash though it makes it run to lean which is why people get the custom tune or the flashpro..
The off the shelf reflash will not make the engine run "too lean" it will run as lean as the maps programmed into the ECU.

Your AFR will remain the same with or without bolt ons. Modern ECUs will compensate for changes in air consumption. If it can not compensate it will throw a DTC and go into limp mode. This is why modern cars operate flawlessly in death valley where the and in the mountains of Colorado. There are compensation maps and feedback from sensors that make sure everything runs safely and reliability. This is not saying a reflash won't give gains however you won't be putting your engine into a unsafe condition with or without it.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 AM
Cruisin'

Well now just time to wait for my tax return
Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
WTF?

Originally Posted by Richie v6
The off the shelf reflash will not make the engine run "too lean" it will run as lean as the maps programmed into the ECU.

Your AFR will remain the same with or without bolt ons. Modern ECUs will compensate for changes in air consumption. If it can not compensate it will throw a DTC and go into limp mode. This is why modern cars operate flawlessly in death valley where the and in the mountains of Colorado. There are compensation maps and feedback from sensors that make sure everything runs safely and reliability. This is not saying a reflash won't give gains however you won't be putting your engine into a unsafe condition with or without it.
per hondatas site http://hondata.com/reflash_rdx.html for the reflash

At the time of writing there were no intakes available for the RDX. Air fuel ratio is largely determined by the mass air flow sensor located in the intake. Any intake which does not alter the pipe diameter surrounding the mass air flow sensor (and thus the air fuel ratio) should work fine.

The reflash will work safely with an exhaust system.

the CPE intakes changed there map area a smidge to purposely run alittle leaner K&N intakes runs lean as well but not as much.. many moons ago when the RDX didnt have a downpipe option and people just had the intake, reflash, and exhaust they quickly learned with the custom downpipe they made it runs dangeriously lean cause of the intakes.. and thus i stated the boltons alone is safe but adding reflash is not, or if need to be you can add a reflash but not a intake system cause it makes the rdx run leaner
Old 02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
BlueCarbonFiber for the win! good call I though this was the case but didn't get to the info as fast as you.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Former Sponsor

per hondatas site http://hondata.com/reflash_rdx.html for the reflash

At the time of writing there were no intakes available for the RDX. Air fuel ratio is largely determined by the mass air flow sensor located in the intake. Any intake which does not alter the pipe diameter surrounding the mass air flow sensor (and thus the air fuel ratio) should work fine.

The reflash will work safely with an exhaust system.

the CPE intakes changed there map area a smidge to purposely run alittle leaner K&N intakes runs lean as well but not as much.. many moons ago when the RDX didnt have a downpipe option and people just had the intake, reflash, and exhaust they quickly learned with the custom downpipe they made it runs dangeriously lean cause of the intakes.. and thus i stated the boltons alone is safe but adding reflash is not, or if need to be you can add a reflash but not a intake system cause it makes the rdx run leaner
Didn't realized intakes implemented changes to the diameter to lean out the AFR. Good call.

Is there a post somewhere were someone dataloged this activity? I would think the ECU would detect the lean condition or knock and add fuel. I will look into this when our dyno is up and running.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:32 AM
FLETCH

its posted on CP-E's web page or it was at one point "many moons ago". they mad a slight change (made it bigger) in the diameter of the intake to fool the ecu as to the amount of air actually going through the motor.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:58 AM
WTF?

Originally Posted by Richie v6
Didn't realized intakes implemented changes to the diameter to lean out the AFR. Good call.

Is there a post somewhere were someone dataloged this activity? I would think the ECU would detect the lean condition or knock and add fuel. I will look into this when our dyno is up and running.
there was something that hondata did as a test to see

http://www.hondata.com/reflash_rdx_intake_test.html

and if you look at the recommendations it says

Hondata's recommendations

About the only configuration we would not recommend would be this:

If the customer's RDX is running all of the following:

- Exhaust
- Hondata Reflash
- CP-E intake
- California 91 octane fuel

i would be curious to see your results though if you have a chance to do a install 1 peice at a time to see what changes are done on the dyno.. for instance stock, dyno.. adding downpipe, dyno.. adding the reflash,downpipe, dyno.. ECT it would be lots of work but atleast we could see the results
Old 02-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Cruisin'

i would be curious to see your results though if you have a chance to do a install 1 peice at a time to see what changes are done on the dyno.. for instance stock, dyno.. adding downpipe, dyno.. adding the reflash,downpipe, dyno.. ECT it would be lots of work but atleast we could see the results
That is what I plan on doing.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Point to note guys, is that what Hondata recommends (in red above) is true, but, if you use the FlashPro instead of the Re-Flash then you can tune the fuel to acceptable and safe ratios.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if I ran the hondata reflash with the downpipe, exhaust, Ets intercooler would that run OK then? So as long as I don't run it with an intake.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 AM
WTF?

yes
Old 03-01-2014, 01:35 PM
FLETCH

Did you already buy the reflash?