Performance Upgrades Order

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Performance Upgrades Order

Hello all, I'm a new member here. I purchased a certified preowned '12 RDX back in August. I loved upgrades on my old car but it wasn't the best modifiable car so I'm going to have some fun with the RDX. As soon as I got it I upgraded all the lights to LEDs, from DRLs, fog lights to all the interior lights. Additionally I purchased the CP-E Intake but I see there's plenty more I can do from ask the reading I've done on here. What I have in mind now is the following upgrades:
- ETS Intercooler and Hondata Isothermal Gasket (possibly spark plugs, not sure if they're worth it, people can chime in on this)
- RV-6 Downpipe and midpipe
- Hondata Reflash Pro

Now my question is, should I do them in any specific order? I kinda like the order I have them in now and would love to leave the Reflash for last once I have all the mods I want, unless someone suggests otherwise.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:35 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
spark plugs arent needed unless they are dirty then OE replacement fine.. i contacted NGK to see if they make a hotter plug but they dont.. our OE is an odd size and not common

intake, TMIC and downpipe are all good starters.. still hungry? flashpro, catback exhaust will help your next boost up for more powa!.. can add lighter pulleys too..
Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
You've got the intake.
Id go exhaust next.
Full catback, do it the first time.
High flow cat(or test pipe) and downpipe.

Back to your intake... larger intake mani if possible
large throttle body if possible
throttle body spacer
If you have a 3in intake you can upgrade to 4 at this point. you could probably use it.

new pulleys
if you really want you can check out some race spark plugs and a larger fuel rail.
Id skip the spark plugs and fuel rail
Time for hondata and flashpro. Retune that sucker then start saving for some forced induction.

Done and done.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
You've got the intake.
Id go exhaust next.
Full catback, do it the first time.
High flow cat(or test pipe) and downpipe.

Back to your intake... larger intake mani if possible
large throttle body if possible
throttle body spacer
If you have a 3in intake you can upgrade to 4 at this point. you could probably use it.

new pulleys
if you really want you can check out some race spark plugs and a larger fuel rail.
Id skip the spark plugs and fuel rail
Time for hondata and flashpro. Retune that sucker then start saving for some forced induction.

Done and done.
Throttle body spacer, useless. Fuel rail, useless. Any intake larger than 3" will require the maf needing to be rescaled via flashpro. Doesn't need "race" spark plugs, whatever you think those might be. Oem replacements are fine. One step colder would be needed making ~350whp. Flashpro is made by Hondata. Not sure why you said both. The rdx is already turbo. What's to save for forced induction?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Slow98teg
Throttle body spacer, useless.
Not tried one myself so I couldn't say. But I know a lot of users here like theirs.

Fuel rail, useless.
Figured as much, hence why I said Id skip that.

Any intake larger than 3" will require the maf needing to be rescaled via flashpro.
Well I told him to get a flashpro so there ya go.

Doesn't need "race" spark plugs, whatever you think those might be.
Sorry I was replying to the OP asking about spark plugs. I meant larger/aftermarket injectors.. I guess race is a vague term but any critical thinker would understand what I meant.

Flashpro is made by Hondata. Not sure why you said both. The rdx is already turbo. What's to save for forced induction?
Time for Hondata flashpro and retune that sucker then start saving for some more forced induction.
OP can always upgrade his turbo.

God damn, you gonna give the OP some tips or just try to bash on someone trying to help out from their cell phone?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Racer

There are no turbo upgrades for the rdx. TB spacers, pulleys and IMG are mods that aren't really worth the money. Better off putting the money elsewhere in parts that actually make power.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:52 PM
WTF?

pulleys are a matter of opinion.. some people can tell some cant.. it wouldnt be the first thing i do unless i had them.. but it sure wouldnt be something i would leave out.. throttle response is better.. and your take off is better.. hp is about 5 gain.. you do that with the manifold gasket and i am sure you will notice a difference
The following users liked this post:
usdmJON (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

There are no turbo upgrades for the rdx. TB spacers, pulleys and IMG are mods that aren't really worth the money. Better off putting the money elsewhere in parts that actually make power.
So I ask again... are you going to tell the OP what these parts are or just talk shit on your high horse?

No turbo upgrades? You mean you cant take the turbo out and run a larger turbo?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:59 PM
WTF?

ya no turbo upgrade meaning there isnt a bigger one out to swap to.. but i am sure its a matter of time before something comes around
Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Racer

So I ask again... are you going to tell the OP what these parts are or just talk shit on your high horse?

No turbo upgrades? You mean you cant take the turbo out and run a larger turbo?
Hahaha. Boo hoo. I just gave advice not talk shit. How did you come to that? Sorry I don't sugar coat things.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Aaaah. So no company has put a turbo on the shelf with an RDX label on it.
You can definitely still swap out the turbo for a larger one. Give the guys at garrett a call, Im sure they'll know what size turbo will work.

No you didnt. You shot down my suggestions then said
Better off putting the money elsewhere in parts that actually make power.
Then failed to share what these parts were.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Racer

Aaaah. So no company has put a turbo on the shelf with an RDX label on it.
You can definitely still swap out the turbo for a larger one. Give the guys at garrett a call, Im sure they'll know what size turbo will work.

No you didnt. You shot down my suggestions then said

Then failed to share what these parts were.
The OP stated down pipe, intake, flashpro and tmic. Thats pretty much it for the RDX. No point in stating what's been mentioned. You do realize that putting ANY other turbo on right now will require a new manifold/downpipe and other fab work right? No one makes a drop in replacement. I'd stop giving advice for rdx's and go back into the ilx section.
justnspace (10-30-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
No you didnt. ...
-OMG-
Slow day on the ILX forum?

Old 10-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
No, there is no possible swap for an RDX right now since Acura used a very unique design with Variable Flow valve that is controlled by ECU. There is nothing like that on the market.
So please stop misleading people.
The following 4 users liked this post by protoRDX:
justnspace (10-30-2013), Slow98teg (10-29-2013), TheWrench116 (10-30-2013), usdmJON (11-04-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
at USDMJON.
please, stick to your own subsection, the entry level ILX section
Old 11-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Ok well, I didnt expect this thread to turn into this but taking away all the childish behavior and misinformed user. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I'll be starting with the ETS tmic, just contacted them and hopefully I can get a group buy going again. Still unsure about the Hondata Isothermal spacer I figured that since I'll be removing the intercooler anyways, I might as well give it a shot since I'll basically be in that general area. Hence why I mentioned the spark plug upgrade as well, but seems like it's unnecessary. However, the car has almost 30k miles so should I just go ahead and get the spark plugs over with?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
WTF?

spark plugs are suppose to be good between 80k and 100k miles.. they are iridium.. i personally am pretty anal when it comes to it and prefer to do plugs every 1.5 years regardless.new ones will set you back about 50+ dollars
Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Old 11-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
If you are at 30K then I would wait on spark plugs, save you around $150-$175 if you took them to a shop. I have the TMIC and hondata gasket and I think those are really good upgrades considering the limited support for the RDX at the moment.
FC2012RDX (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vividsi
If you are at 30K then I would wait on spark plugs, save you around $150-$175 if you took them to a shop. I have the TMIC and hondata gasket and I think those are really good upgrades considering the limited support for the RDX at the moment.
Sounds good, I guess I'll save the cash and put it towards the gasket and TMIC.

How long did it take you to put in the gasket? My brother and I swapped out his intake manifold and added a gasket to his G35 and it wasn't too bad besides the fact that he did it alone at first and must have had a huge vacuum leak since his car wouldn't start.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I had everything done at the shop, intercooler, spark plugs, gasket. Maybe took 2 hours.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FC2012RDX
Ok well, I didnt expect this thread to turn into this but taking away all the childish behavior and misinformed user. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I'll be starting with the ETS tmic, just contacted them and hopefully I can get a group buy going again. Still unsure about the Hondata Isothermal spacer I figured that since I'll be removing the intercooler anyways, I might as well give it a shot since I'll basically be in that general area. Hence why I mentioned the spark plug upgrade as well, but seems like it's unnecessary. However, the car has almost 30k miles so should I just go ahead and get the spark plugs over with?
I would not rush and buy the ETS right now since there is an attempt of building an air-to-liquid kit by RV6. The ETS still has that infamous heatsoaking issue while air-to-cool project will solve it completely. So why pay for the basically the same IC scheme as your stock one if you might get a real solution soon.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM
WTF?

^ price might be better too... the only worry is water could get into your intake and lock your engine.. chances are slim.. but it could happen at some point
Old 11-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced

I don't know how I feel about the water cooled one. I know mods in general are an issue when it comes to warranty but I literally just bought this certified pre owned and the water cooled IC seems to mess with a lot more than the ets one. Unless you want to elaborate on it fit me and convince me that it's just as easy and more rewarding.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by protoRDX
No, there is no possible swap for an RDX right now since Acura used a very unique design with Variable Flow valve that is controlled by ECU. There is nothing like that on the market.
So please stop misleading people.
Ahhh I see

I still find it hard to believe no turbo will work for the RDX. If someone wants to do it they will find a way. It isn't impossible is all I am saying.
Maybe not a larger turbo but a bigger inter cooler?

TYou do realize that putting ANY other turbo on right now will require a new manifold/downpipe and other fab work right? No one makes a drop in replacement.

So get to fabbing for crying out loud!! Someone has to start somewhere.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Advanced

Maybe not a larger turbo but a bigger inter cooler
Yes bigger intercooler would be the ETS intercooler that I mentioned at the beginning of the thread
Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Aha! Well looks like you have a solid idea of what needs to happen.

Sorry if my posts were misleading as other users have stated.
I come from a 1994 integra, you can make anything fit if you know how to do it. I take that mentality on with me to my ILX a tried to implement it here.

I understand there may be no turbo system on the market yet, but someone had to do a j swap before there were write ups on it and the first guy to swap an LS into his 240 didnt pull motor mounts off a shelf. My comments are gearing towards what can be done... not toward what is available. I dont know what is available I dont shop for an RDX.

Good luck with the tuning, can't wait to see where it goes!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FC2012RDX
I don't know how I feel about the water cooled one. I know mods in general are an issue when it comes to warranty but I literally just bought this certified pre owned and the water cooled IC seems to mess with a lot more than the ets one. Unless you want to elaborate on it fit me and convince me that it's just as easy and more rewarding.
I dont want to convince anyone here.
You would very well know how bad heatsoaking is in the RDX if you ever drive this car in +28- +33 C during the summer. Sometimes its really scary to overpass the car in front of you after standing 1 min on the traffic light. You are basically driving 4k pounds of weight with 4 banger with no turbo in that case. And your acceleration is in about 11-12.5 sec range for 0-60.
Then, if you try to solve this major issue (which is also sensitive for any TMIC cars, such as Mazda CX7s, WRX STis and etc.) you have 3 options:

1) cheapest and the most simple one - bigger TMIC- the ETS.
Basically this is not a solution. You just make this moment when your TMIC becomes a hot stove longer. Thats it. Its still a TMIC - bloody frying pan.
2) you can go FMIC path. Its complicated, its expensive, but efficient. Its way better than TMIC. Except of one thing - you increase your turbolag. Which is painful.
3) or....you can go Porsche's, Ford's, Veyron's and many other performance cars way - air-to-liquid IC setup. It costs not that much (well, might be cheaper than even FMIC) and when properly done it can solve your issue completely without sacrificing your turbo lag.

Now, you ask me to convince you? No, this is not the way such a big and major upgrade should be done. You gonna feel when you are ready to go that path, you must realize that yourself without anyone convincing you.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Aha! Well looks like you have a solid idea of what needs to happen.

Sorry if my posts were misleading as other users have stated.
I come from a 1994 integra, you can make anything fit if you know how to do it. I take that mentality on with me to my ILX a tried to implement it here.

I understand there may be no turbo system on the market yet, but someone had to do a j swap before there were write ups on it and the first guy to swap an LS into his 240 didnt pull motor mounts off a shelf. My comments are gearing towards what can be done... not toward what is available. I dont know what is available I dont shop for an RDX.

Good luck with the tuning, can't wait to see where it goes!
We are talking about very different cars with different customers here. Most people who owns Integras, or who do the J swap, or LS swap are very different from the majority of RDXs owners. The audience is very small, not very tech educated and mostly consist of soccer moms. Again, I'm talking about the majority.
Thats why its very slow here. And the 1st gen RDX platform can be way closer to the end before enough people will gather for doing something crazy with these cars.
And the last point. Do not forget this is an AT platform and your safe margin for the power/torque upgrade may be limited to 350 hps/380 lb/ft.
usdmJON (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by protoRDX
We are talking about very different cars with different customers here. Most people who owns Integras, or who do the J swap, or LS swap are very different from the majority of RDXs owners. The audience is very small, not very tech educated and mostly consist of soccer moms. Again, I'm talking about the majority.
Thats why its very slow here.
And the 1st gen RDX platform can be way closer to the end before enough people will gather for doing something crazy with these cars.
And the last point. Do not forget this is an AT platform and your safe margin for the power/torque upgrade may be limited to 350 hps/380 lb/ft.
Points taken.
protoRDX (11-04-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
A cat-back like the full ATLP system is going to be imperative to making more power when the engine is flowing more. It should be on the list, definitely.