AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RDX Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-performance-parts-modifications-162/)
-   -   P2R Intake Manifold Gasket (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-performance-parts-modifications-162/p2r-intake-manifold-gasket-858311/)

BigHatch 05-24-2012 09:16 PM

P2R Intake Manifold Gasket

Here's a pic comparing the P2R insulating gasket vs. the stock one.

It's about 1/8" or so.

https://acurazine.com/forums/picture...ictureid=53701

BU 05-24-2012 10:45 PM

That's one thick gasket.

Do you have full picture of it ?

JCRDX11 05-25-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by BigHatch (Post 13798078)
Here's a pic comparing the P2R insulating gasket vs. the stock one.

It's about 1/8" or so.

https://acurazine.com/forums/picture...ictureid=53701

Is it diffcult to DIY?
Did you notice any difference?

acurdx988 05-25-2012 10:33 AM

what's it supposed to over the original one?

BigHatch 05-25-2012 01:52 PM

Just had the extra piece to show the difference in thickness.. The gasket is already on my car.

Some brands use different ones for each application, some brands use one gasket for multiple applications with either a marked line or groove in it to cut off for use as appropriate.

The RDX is one of those shared applications.

It's function is to insulate the intake manifold from conductive heat from the head.

I did it at the same time as the intercooler and exhaust so I can't rightfully say "this is due to this", but physics don't lie.

InfamousJamous help us out! Get one and data log some intake temp comparisons!!

Install involved pulling the manifold back enough to insert the gasket, rather than removing the entire manifold out of the car. Mr. HT did mine, but should be pretty straightforward DIY.

InfamousJamous 05-25-2012 02:08 PM

I'll pick one up and see what I can find. $35 doesn't sound too bad.

Links to HT's product pages:
P2R http://www.heeltoeauto.com/p2r-therm...-k20-p101.html
Hondata http://www.heeltoeauto.com/hondata-h...hsgas_k20.html

I wonder what those two look like in comparison.

Any suggestions on driving conditions for an accurate data log comparison?

DRR98 05-25-2012 03:38 PM

Intake air temp varies based on so many factors or conditions.

Ambeint air temp and r/h, maf, bypass valve position, i/c function...

Maybe best to look at peak iat numbers to evaluate gaskets effect.

Everything else seems based on variable conditions.

IJ,
If your Summer peak now is ~ 140 degrees f, see if it changes up or down after inst.

I'm skeptical about this product. But if it does no harm, its $30.

Me want conjoined twin/hybrid tmic. Fade to dream sequence...

Inlet side - first half-air to air, like oem.

2nd half- coolant to air- fed via 12v pump thru fmic, with an insulated iced coolant tank normally bypassed, ice coolant flow on with >10# boost only.

Mmm, hot day, cold intake air, sweet.

BigHatch 05-25-2012 04:44 PM

You'd need simmilar conditions, maybe back to back afternoons over the same run.

Maybe a trip up and down some of these local hilly roads through Lake Forrest or something simmilar in the area. Not sure how much time you may be able to capture/plot, or maybe a co-pilot can note some readings at different points to capture readings under load up hills, under steady driving, and also where it should be cooler, like downhills off throttle too.

DRR98 05-25-2012 05:39 PM

When you're off throttle it recircs the air not going into the cyls, and a very low mass air flow.

This makes the IAT hotter.

The more maf the cooler the intake gets.

BigHatch 05-25-2012 05:48 PM

Hmmm... That would seem kinda counter intuitive at first thought, as not all the air recirculates, and there's less T from less compression of the air charge.

...whatever, I could be wrong.

At any rate, before & after data readings (wherever they would be high or low) will paint the picture as to how much impact these gaskets may have.

BigHatch 05-25-2012 05:53 PM

Yeah DRR you seem to be right..

See the "details" under the images

http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html

DRR98 05-25-2012 05:56 PM

I'm just reading and learning trends off my data logger.

We are lucky to have access to this valuable info.

InfamousJamous 05-27-2012 01:06 PM

Interesting. I'll try to replicate that Hondata run on a hilly road. Just need to pick up my order from HT.

Has anybody tried bypassing the throttle body heating and idle control valve heating? It looks easy.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...stk701_e01.png

DRR98 05-27-2012 06:51 PM

I put a valve on the feed line on our '00 Prelude. You could not close it off fully without it throwing a code. Don't remember exact details now. It ran fine ~ half open.

InfamousJamous 05-31-2012 01:28 PM

Good to know.

Gasket on back order.. waiting for HT.

swoosh 05-31-2012 03:12 PM

Be careful with that gasket....

couple 3G TL members are having problems with the gasket kinda melting coz of the high temps....

i ran the P2R gasket on my TL without a problem but just as an insurance i sandwiched the P2R gasket between 2 stock gaskets :thumbsup:

InfamousJamous 05-31-2012 05:13 PM

Wow that's scary. The last thing I need is boost leak. I'm wondering if I should go for the Hondata gasket instead.

DRR98 05-31-2012 07:07 PM

Hey IJ, I got a new high iat yesterday. 156f while idling ~10 min. OAT WAS ~95f. Takes awhile to get rid of that much heat.

crazycated 05-31-2012 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by InfamousJamous (Post 13811282)
Wow that's scary. The last thing I need is boost leak. I'm wondering if I should go for the Hondata gasket instead.

I have had my hondata gasket since 2008 and no problems .

BigHatch 05-31-2012 10:54 PM

guess i'll keep an eye on it...wonder what else those guys are doing?

exist12 06-01-2012 08:07 AM

I had the hondata one on my old turbo rsx with no issues

swoosh 06-01-2012 10:55 AM

I have been using the P2R gasket since 09 as well....no issues....

i just wanted to put it there as some people are having issues with them....

InfamousJamous 06-01-2012 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by DRR98 (Post 13811491)
Hey IJ, I got a new high iat yesterday. 156f while idling ~10 min. OAT WAS ~95f. Takes awhile to get rid of that much heat.

Man that's hot! I've hit 150 while idling and my water temp hits 213f. What intake are you running?

I wrapped my K&N in adhesive heat wrap (after I got my gauges). I need to work on my ice box for the summer. I got some 1/8" ABS plastic sheets and epoxy.

InfamousJamous 06-26-2012 01:22 PM

Picked up my P2R gasket last week. Haven't had time to install it yet but I'll provide an update when it's in.

BigHatch 06-27-2012 07:45 PM

cool. eager to see any #'s relative to before

RDX_NRG 08-29-2012 10:05 PM

For those of you who have replaced the gasket, did you have to relieve the fuel pressure?

si2rdx 08-29-2012 11:07 PM

Hey BigHatch I got a question for you if you don`t mind answering it. With these mods just a ball park how much hp and tq would you have. The reason I`m asking cause I`m looking at all three and I plan to do them all at once but I would like to hear from someone who has it. Also does the car feel faster to respond. Thanks

InfamousJamous 09-01-2012 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by RDX_NRG (Post 14007354)
For those of you who have replaced the gasket, did you have to relieve the fuel pressure?

I believe that, once unbolted, there is enough play to swap out the gaskets without having to relieve the fuel pressure. I still have not swapped mine as I have been busy.

RDX_NRG 09-08-2012 02:23 AM

Would anyone be able to do a detailed DIY on how to install the intake manifold gasket?

I changed my stock TMIC with the ETS TMIC today and ventured to try installing the hondata gasket. I gave up after an hour trying to figure out how to disconnect some of the wire/hoses on the underside of the intake manifold. My problem is that I can't reach the bottom 3 bolts on the intake manifold. There is too many hoses and wires in the way.

For those who have installed any intake manifold gaskets on an RDX, did you cut-off the connector (zip tie like plastic) for some of the wires that is behind the harness (harness underneath the intake manifold)?

BigHatch 09-14-2012 08:23 PM

It feels much faster to respond. i did my exh, gasket, intercooler at once, and already had the hondata. Definitely very noticeable improvement over hondata and K&N alone. I'd say a must have to work in conjunction with the hondata. It loves to pull on the fwy. Did great in the high desert heat this summer too. i would definitely reccomend any of these items. As for power, well, who's to say...never had it dynod, but many of the parts have sheets floating around out there.

Install of the gasket was done at HT, very straightforward. Just unbolted the manifold and lower support and pulled it back enough to remove the old and install the new. No unhooking of any lines, cutting of any clips/ties, etc..everything is dry, no water or fuel lines involved. Just takes the right extensions i guess.

r3devi7 07-23-2013 08:57 PM

SUPER OLD THREAD BUMP WARNING

Anyone have issues with the P2R intake manifold gasket? I have it on my 04 base, and was considering it for my 08 TLS. I asked over at Hondata forums if they planned on making one for the TL and this was the response I got

The V6 engine has a heavy intake manifold and a fairly thin margin between the intake plenum and fuel injector bases, so the gasket must be steel or something which can carry a lot of pressure. You can't increase the thickness between the fuel injector bases and the cylinder heads, otherwise the plenum doesn't fit correctly. So no plans for a V6 gasket.
I have the Oem gasket under the P2R on the 04, so Im not that worried about it yet. Just wanted to see if anyone had uninstalled theirs and noticed any problems...

Edit: Just noticed this was RDX forum, found thread through Google.

swoosh 07-23-2013 11:03 PM

I have been running mine for a while without an issue

BigHatch 07-23-2013 11:30 PM

never uninstalled it, but the outer edge looked fine last time I checked.. no problems at all, and I go where it gets REAL HOT at least a 5-6 times a year for a few days at a time. Before the gasket and intercooler, I could really feel the heat effect so, so much.

InfamousJamous 09-07-2013 02:12 PM

Man, I still need to install mine!

InfamousJamous 05-23-2014 05:09 AM

So I installed mine when I upgraded the injectors.. My intake temp now averages ~125F. It used to run about 15 degrees hotter.