Other Intake Upgrade Options?

Old 04-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Other Intake Upgrade Options?

Does anyone know of any other intake upgrade options such as intake manifold upgrade, throttle body upgrade or has anyone used this ---> centerfeed plenum (https://skunk2.com/centerfeed-plenum.html). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 04-21-2019, 07:32 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I’ve never heard of someone using that intake manifold on our platform before. You could just have your stock intake manifold ported and polished but that would only yield one horsepower to the wheels. A lot of people have been doing zdx intake manifolds along with the corresponding throttle body. For me I would port and polish the exhaust manifold that would probably give you a better result...
Old 04-25-2019, 06:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CSmoney28
I’ve never heard of someone using that intake manifold on our platform before. You could just have your stock intake manifold ported and polished but that would only yield one horsepower to the wheels. A lot of people have been doing zdx intake manifolds along with the corresponding throttle body. For me I would port and polish the exhaust manifold that would probably give you a better result...
are there any gains using the ZDX? And how much?
Old 04-26-2019, 05:10 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't the ZDX have the V6?
Old 04-27-2019, 12:50 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for some clarification on this topic you can use any K series manifold on ours with some adapter pieces or custom cutting of ears etc but the direct bolt on's will be the K20A2 style'd intake manifold. They will all bolt up to our engine however you will need to sort provisions for lines/sensors with a swap. The plenum that was linked doesnt work with any stock components it would be for other styles and skunk 2 manifolds directly. I can tell you from experience unless your going for bleeding edge hp, looking to pay an arm and leg to make the engine bay look nice or your doing a custom route fmic setup and want the downward facing manifold like this (https://skunk2.com/induction/intake-...7-05-8085.html) that in conjunction with a front mount is very nice for routing getting rid of the "spaghetti" lol. Far as throttle bodies, the ZDX (yes J37 v6) and other specfic J35/J37 variants with DBW systems are a direct swap for us with plugs and bolt patterns and have gains to be had from the increased diameter but again these types of things should be near the end of modding as there is no big substantial increases there especially for the massive amount of money they all cost (tb is cheap though). Im also sure this is common sense but you cant even think about touching any of these things without having flashpro with the ability to proficiently tune it or your tuner on deck for you immediately after install or a standalone because it requires basically an entire remap of all fueling parameters including idle.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Excellent info.

So if someone had a tune, an ETS intercooler, and catless downpipe already, and could get a J37 tb would it be worth doing?
Old 04-30-2019, 02:59 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin2m4
Excellent info.

So if someone had a tune, an ETS intercooler, and catless downpipe already, and could get a J37 tb would it be worth doing?
Something to note if your considering this TB is for example the ZDX the entrance is 79mm aka 3.11" that tapers in the shape of a megaphone so to speak where it enters the intake manifold at 70mm (2.75") so of course you will need a different coupler for it, gasket and if using the stock intake some port work would be a good bet in order to keep the transition velocity up and gains. The better option of course would be going with an aftermarket manifold or an RBC but youll again have to compensate for various lines and sensors and have a completely new cold side pipe from your top mount which may get a bit funky with the bends needed basically doing a complete 180 at the throttle itself.

Far as gains go your still only looking at less then 10hp max out of something like this so to me personally i probably wouldnt do it unless i was swapping manifolds all together. Although you can sometimes find the j37 throttles for cheap af in junk yards i personally got one from a pick and pull yard for $25 then it becomes with it to me to do that extra work in the downtime like port matching. Also note you will have to adjust your tune with this any way you would do it.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BuiltRDX
Something to note if your considering this TB is for example the ZDX the entrance is 79mm aka 3.11" that tapers in the shape of a megaphone so to speak where it enters the intake manifold at 70mm (2.75") so of course you will need a different coupler for it, gasket and if using the stock intake some port work would be a good bet in order to keep the transition velocity up and gains. The better option of course would be going with an aftermarket manifold or an RBC but youll again have to compensate for various lines and sensors and have a completely new cold side pipe from your top mount which may get a bit funky with the bends needed basically doing a complete 180 at the throttle itself.

Far as gains go your still only looking at less then 10hp max out of something like this so to me personally i probably wouldnt do it unless i was swapping manifolds all together. Although you can sometimes find the j37 throttles for cheap af in junk yards i personally got one from a pick and pull yard for $25 then it becomes with it to me to do that extra work in the downtime like port matching. Also note you will have to adjust your tune with this any way you would do it.

Thanks for the detailed reply!
sounds like ill be sticking to what i have.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Like I said it isn’t worth it to change the intake manifold for minimal gains if anything port and polish the exhaust manifold for better gains...