My RDX Intake and BOV System - PICS and Videos INSIDE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 08:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My RDX Intake and BOV System - PICS and Videos INSIDE!

Hey guys! First post here. You guys are great! Very informative, helpful, and just loaded full of content!

I've been happily sporting my 07 RDX for a month now, and I just knew I had to free up that intake system so I could hear the turbo, blow-off valve, and intake.
I cruised on here for a while looking at the options, but I was really unhappy with the prices of most of the well-known intake systems, like K&N.

Ebay has a killer deal for a Cold-Air intake System that includes everything you need for a reasonable price of just $65!!!
Link: Red 07-11 RDX Intake - EBAY

I also installed a dual-port blow-off / bypass valve while I was at it. It too works really well and is a great price of $90!
Link: Dual-Port Adjustable BOV

Here are my install pics. Pardon the dirty engine compartment. I am planning on cleaning it today.

Link to a short video of the sound of my intake and BOV:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dj4B6vPuN6w9enzdA

Any questions, just ask! After I clean the engine compartment today, I'm going to hood-mount my Go-Pro and get a better video of the intake sounds from outside the car!
While I was at it, I instaled LED fog lights, turn signals, and DRL/High-Beams, as well as interior lights. Take about an IMPROVEMENT! I bought all the LEDS on Amazon.
Here's an install comparison.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:51 PM
10th Gear

Videos taken today, while it was humid and bit rainy:
Outside the car: (note the waterproof housing of my GoPro muffles the sound quite a bit)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/X99kNh2ajm4oxUMf7

Inside the car, with Easy throttle input:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xy3b9bDdXJ3AyqRa6

Inside the car, with Moderate throttle input (slightly more aggressive):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JXho6Ztu6uaSBFx1A
Old 09-09-2018, 12:19 AM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Welcome to the forum for the first generation RDX! I’m glad your loving and modding it right away. Check out my thread if you want to check out some cool pictures and modifications....Did the intake cause a cel? Also did the blow of valve cause stalling?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 AM
10th Gear

No CEL, no stalling. in fact, I feel a greater response off the line and much better throttle response from a roll in 2nd and 3rd gear. It was important to reset the ECU, because after I installed the intake I immediately drove it and noticed a lag from a dead start. Once I reset the ECU (by disconnecting the negative battery cable for an hour, then letting it idle for 5 minutes before driving again) it drove like a new machine!

The sound may cause some placebo butt-dyno horsepower, but I swear it's more powerful now. It turns heads all the time, and it gets noticed a lot when I'm out. Thanks for the Fast and Furious series for making those sounds well known today!
Old 09-09-2018, 07:41 PM
CSmoney28

Yeah, the well known intakes come with instructions and it tells you to disconnect the battery as the first step. That resets the ecu’s memory so it has to re-learn your driving style.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:13 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered one of these BOV. As this is an ajustable valve, are you recirculating, venting to atmosphere or 50/50? If your venting some to atmosphere, any problem with running too rich and stalling?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 PM
9th Gear

I received my BOV a few days ago. There was some issues with fitting the ports, and it flutters all the way up to 6000 Rpm even at the softest setting, therefore causing a compressor surcharge. The seller said these BOV's have very stiff springs and recommended that you cut a coil off. I can hear in your video that you also have fluttering. Might want to soften the spring, and maybe cut a coil or two.

As much as the fluttering sounds great, it's not recommended.

Last edited by Monty15; 09-19-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:31 PM
CSmoney28

I recommend a full recirculating bypass valve for our vehicle to keep it from stalling or running too rich. The full blow off valve might caused issues with a steady idle. The blow off valve and bypass valve might also cause these kinds of issues. You can hear the bypass valve enough through our intake that your don’t really need to vent to atmosphere and potentially cause problems...
Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by CSmoney28
I recommend a full recirculating bypass valve for our vehicle to keep it from stalling or running too rich. The full blow off valve might caused issues with a steady idle. The blow off valve and bypass valve might also cause these kinds of issues. You can hear the bypass valve enough through our intake that your don’t really need to vent to atmosphere and potentially cause problems...

I agree, the bypass valve is plenty loud. I ended up returning the BOV. I experimented with venting to atmosphere, 50/50 and recirculating, and neither of these setups caused stalling problems. As RDX's are automatic, you're never really letting go of the gas to shift, and the RPM won't drop low enough to cause a stall with a rich fuel/air mixture. Even in neutral, it would not cause a stall. It was the fluttering that turned me away from using this BOV. The minimal gain in blow off sound (when using an intake) is not worth causing long term damage to your turbo.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:11 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Monty15
I received my BOV a few days ago. There was some issues with fitting the ports, and it flutters all the way up to 6000 Rpm even at the softest setting, therefore causing a compressor surcharge. The seller said these BOV's have very stiff springs and recommended that you cut a coil off. I can hear in your video that you also have fluttering. Might want to soften the spring, and maybe cut a coil or two.

As much as the fluttering sounds great, it's not recommended.
I ended up cutting off 3 coils of my spring. It eliminated the fluttering and makes a much better sound now. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tim Martin
I ended up cutting off 3 coils of my spring. It eliminated the fluttering and makes a much better sound now. Thanks for the heads up!

What is your spring setting at now that you've cut off 3 coils? Is it set to all the way to hard or is it set all the soft?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:56 PM
CSmoney28

Hybrid Blow Off & Bypass Valve <——— 💨
Old 04-23-2019, 07:49 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Sophal Somkhit
What is your spring setting at now that you've cut off 3 coils? Is it set to all the way to hard or is it set all the soft?
I actually went with a setting somewhere in between. Not all the way soft, but not all the way hard. In fact, I found a setting to be ideal when it was completely covering the rubber o-ring at the top of the BOV body to be the best. I played with it quite a bit, and adjusted it maybe 5 times to find the best setting with no flutter but no long, drawn-out exhaust from the BOV.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:24 PM
CSmoney28

Pictures and Videos coming soon...