K&N Typhoon Air Intake System VS. Acura RDX XcelTM Air Intake, which one is better ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Typhoon Air Intake System VS. Acura RDX XcelTM Air Intake, which one is better ?

which one is better in terms of sound and performance ?

BTW, can anyone confirm with me to see if the 2008 K&N typhoon air intake system parts number 69-0017TS will fit on the 2009 RDX model

please let me know

thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since they are basically the same thing, they should sound and perform identical.

I went K&N simply based on name/quality, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the CP-E option either.

The only thing I might add, based off an old memory, was that CP-E built their MAF housings to lean out the AFR slightly to add a few ponies. This might make a difference compared to the K&N, but they both dyno fairly decent from the limited dyno's I've seen.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
But I just found out a few days ago that CP-E has a flaw .The CP-E intake leaned the mixture out about 2-3/10ths of an air fuel ratio point and Hondata does not recommend running any exhaust , Hondata reflash , CP-E intake all together since the reflash and any exhaust are already causing the car to lean the mixture out a little . But I just talked to Shawn Church 2 days ago to see if there is anything that can be done about this since he is very close to Hondata and waiting on an answer from them which suck's cause I bought a CP-E intake and should be here this weekend and can't install it now cause of this and I am not sure if the K & N Intake will do the same waiting on that answer also so for all planning to do what I did to there car hold on and don't spend your money or you will get ass out like me and end up very upset and disappointed I will let all you know what I here on this . Also I have an appointment with Church Automotive in 2 weeks they are going to see if something can be done on that day to make it work ???????
Old 03-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Instructor

This comment was mostly said for anybody planning to install more than an INTAKE on there car if you are planning just an INTAKE both brands would work good with the RDX .
Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Instructor

will the K&N fit on 2009 RDX ?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Pro

I see no reason it shouldn't. There are literally no changes anyone is aware of under the hood.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I think some info needs to be clarified in this thread. I've spoken with one of the engineers at CP-E and this what we discussed:

When someone installs a new intake onto their new RDX, the resulting air/fuel at wide open throttle will change. Which direction the mixture goes is mostly dependent upon the diameter of the MAF housing. If the MAF housing diameter increases the air velocity flowing through it relative to stock, the car will run rich. If the velocity slows the vehicle will run leaner. If the change from stock is significant, then the ECU will recognize this condition and throw a check engine light.

With the RDX intake CP-E mechanically tuned the car slightly because they figured most users would not be performing many modifications to the vehicle, and at the time there was no reflash available. So they developed the intake to provide the biggest and most reliable performance gain possible with the information they had available at the time. Once the intake was produced, Hondata contacted them and showed interest in creating a supporting flash for our product. As you can see Hondata did not do that.

So now an intake that is far superior to others on the market is getting bashed b/c because CP-E intentionally tried to make some more power with it.

I like K&N products but look at the K&N product. They placed the MAF sensor in a bend, which is a very common design flaw. Air has mass like everything else, and when the air goes around that bend, the average route the airflow takes changes due to centrifugal force. That means if the sensor is well calibrated at idle, the change in airflow through at higher airspeeds will likely throw the calibration off after the bend. Look at all of CP-E's intakes, and notice that ONLY ONE places the MAF sensor after a bend, and they can do that because they include an airflow straightener in the MAF housing to smooth the airflow out (similar to what AEM has done on a number of cars).

Now, will the K&N work with the Hondata tune? No! If the tune is not made specifically for that intake, then the result will not be consistent. The same is true with the CP-E intake, or any other on the market. Hondata needs to create a flash that supports the intake as they promised they would.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I think some info needs to be clarified in this thread. I've spoken with one of the engineers at CP-E and this what we discussed:

When someone installs a new intake onto their new RDX, the resulting air/fuel at wide open throttle will change. Which direction the mixture goes is mostly dependent upon the diameter of the MAF housing. If the MAF housing diameter increases the air velocity flowing through it relative to stock, the car will run rich. If the velocity slows the vehicle will run leaner. If the change from stock is significant, then the ECU will recognize this condition and throw a check engine light.

With the RDX intake CP-E mechanically tuned the car slightly because they figured most users would not be performing many modifications to the vehicle, and at the time there was no reflash available. So they developed the intake to provide the biggest and most reliable performance gain possible with the information they had available at the time. Once the intake was produced, Hondata contacted them and showed interest in creating a supporting flash for our product. As you can see Hondata did not do that.

So now an intake that is far superior to others on the market is getting bashed b/c because CP-E intentionally tried to make some more power with it.

I like K&N products but look at the K&N product. They placed the MAF sensor in a bend, which is a very common design flaw. Air has mass like everything else, and when the air goes around that bend, the average route the airflow takes changes due to centrifugal force. That means if the sensor is well calibrated at idle, the change in airflow through at higher airspeeds will likely throw the calibration off after the bend. Look at all of CP-E's intakes, and notice that ONLY ONE places the MAF sensor after a bend, and they can do that because they include an airflow straightener in the MAF housing to smooth the airflow out (similar to what AEM has done on a number of cars).

Now, will the K&N work with the Hondata tune? No! If the tune is not made specifically for that intake, then the result will not be consistent. The same is true with the CP-E intake, or any other on the market. Hondata needs to create a flash that supports the intake as they promised they would.
so to sum it up you would go with the CP-E intake ?, does it void the warranty in Canada ?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cwepruk
I see no reason it shouldn't. There are literally no changes anyone is aware of under the hood.
so it's ok to install it right ?, because I called the acura delarship and they don't have the parts number and I called K&N, and they have no clue, I dont' wanna install it if it doesn't fit.

thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Pro

You are drawing speculative conclusions. CP-E purposely tried to lean the MAF out, K&N did not. IIRC, Hondata tested and said it will still acceptable anyways.

This is after the bend:

And unless you can post a dyno with AFR's, you are speculating that AFR's will be affected.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Instructor

is XcelTM Air Intake the same as the CP-E intake ?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Instructor

what's hondata ? another intake ?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ucsmfu
is XcelTM Air Intake the same as the CP-E intake ?
Yes.

Hondata is a computer reflash.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Instructor

http://www.hondata.com/reflash_rdx_intake_test.html
Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Hey the reason for my post is concerned if I would not have found out about this issue I would have installed my CP-E INTAKE and f***** up my engine but I still want to keep my CP-E and try to make it work . Now due to the fact that when I purchased my reflash I was not aware of this problem since it was not noted on Hondata's website . Now I also did not want to see any fellow RDX Acurazine member go thru that problem knowing that I had that information that would just suck because I think there are a few members in here that already have the reflash and an intake and also want some kind of exhaust . Now I don't think anybody here is bashing on any brand I think everyone here thinks there all pretty good and about the same in there own ways .
Old 03-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Yes.

Hondata is a computer reflash.
so with the CPE I need this hondata reflash to be compatible with my RDX ?

in terms of performace which one is better though ?, seems like the K&N is a favorite. Does the intake void the warranty ?

thanks
Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Instructor

so with the CPE I need this hondata reflash to be compatible with my RDX ?

in terms of performace which one is better though ?, seems like the K&N is a favorite. Does the intake void the warranty ?

thanks
No the Hondata Reflash is compatible with both intakes for the RDX and you don't need the reflash to install any intake .On the performance side there both about the same unless you had it on a dyno which would very small difference probably not noticeable when driving and who you ask . As for favorite I think from looking at posting it's a 50/50 with both brands and depending who you ask . Now you ask if an intake voids your warranty and that is no unless the dealer can prove that the intake was the cause of the problem and the dealer you take it too. Good example tranny goes out still under warranty and you take it to the dealer and they see the intake this is not cause to void warranty . Now you take it to the dealer your engine won't start you take it to the dealer and your engine is hydro-locked can they void your warranty yes and if they prove that the intake was the cause of it .
Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazycated
No the Hondata Reflash is compatible with both intakes for the RDX and you don't need the reflash to install any intake .On the performance side there both about the same unless you had it on a dyno which would very small difference probably not noticeable when driving and who you ask . As for favorite I think from looking at posting it's a 50/50 with both brands and depending who you ask . Now you ask if an intake voids your warranty and that is no unless the dealer can prove that the intake was the cause of the problem and the dealer you take it too. Good example tranny goes out still under warranty and you take it to the dealer and they see the intake this is not cause to void warranty . Now you take it to the dealer your engine won't start you take it to the dealer and your engine is hydro-locked can they void your warranty yes and if they prove that the intake was the cause of it .
so what are the chances of the engine being damaged or any other parts with the aftermarket intake ?

hondata reflash is another mod to increase the power of the car right ?, what's the risk in this modification and has anyone done it before ?

Does all of this apply to 2009 RDX as well ?

thanks
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Instructor

so what are the chances of the engine being damaged or any other parts with the aftermarket intake ?

hondata reflash is another mod to increase the power of the car right ?, what's the risk in this modification and has anyone done it before ?

Does all of this apply to 2009 RDX as well ?

thanks
Chances are very very rare I myself not worried besides that it happens on only true cold air intakes and there is none made for our cars . Yes Hondata is another very good mod for more power and this is my second Hondata Reflash had one on 2006 Civic SI and was great as for risk very rare I had 100% % more chance on damaging my SI with the reflash because of it been stick and having some kind of a miss shift and over excessive revs . But keep it in mind Hondata does not recommend the reflash, intake and exhaust all together only two of these mods together only due to it running to lean which could cause problems later and yes this will void your warranty as for now unless this problem gets fixed . ANY YEAR RDX .
Old 03-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Instructor

so IF i install the K&N intake + the atlp exhaust catback, there should no problems right ? For your 2009 RDX did you get the intake model number 69-0017TS, or did u just get the air filter ?, what's the diference between the air filter and intake ?, can u have both ?

i bleeive K&N only has air intake system for the 2008 RDX model, is it compatible with 2009 RDX ? model number 69-0017TS.

I'm thinking of adding the K&N intake system with the ATLP catback system.............should be ok right ?

btw what is this church exhaust ? where can u buy it ?, costs ?, quality ?, performance compare to ATLP ?

thanks guys, I'm such a noob for asking all these questions
Old 03-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Instructor

so IF i install the K&N intake + the atlp exhaust catback, there should no problems right ? For your 2009 RDX did you get the intake model number 69-0017TS, or did u just get the air filter ?, what's the diference between the air filter and intake ?, can u have both ?

i bleeive K&N only has air intake system for the 2008 RDX model, is it compatible with 2009 RDX ? model number 69-0017TS.

I'm thinking of adding the K&N intake system with the ATLP catback system.............should be ok right ?

btw what is this church exhaust ? where can u buy it ?, costs ?, quality ?, performance compare to ATLP ?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698126
Old 03-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Yeah you should be good with the ATLP and K & N INTAKE just don't go and install a reflash . As of right now I just have a K& N stock air filter which replaces the stock OEM one not an intake I did by a CP-E intake but can't install it and no you can't have intake and stock filter you have to remove your stock air box to install your intake. Church Automotive Testing is a company based in Southern California that tunes and dyno's cars they helped Hondata with the reflash tuning and you can buy there exhaust from them directly . As for the cost high $1,300 and I got installed no extra . Now you ask performance and quality well it depends on who you ask as for me I think it's great and looks better to me but it's hard compare since the ATLP EXHAUST is not even available yet to buy so you can't really know how good it actually is ?? so it's hard to compare as for the Church exhaust I am having my car dyno on March 18th at Church Automotive and maybe they will fix this intake problem ???
Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Instructor

so I can install the 2008 K&N typhoon intake on the 2009 RDX, no problems right ?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Cruisin'

Does the Hondata Reflash void the vehicle's warranty?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Instructor

K&N typhoon intake on 2009 RDX, should be no problem right ?

can anyone please confirm ?
thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Should'nt be a problem!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Instructor

where can u find or buy the cheapest K&N intake within Canada ?

anyone knows ?

thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

You are drawing speculative conclusions. CP-E purposely tried to lean the MAF out, K&N did not. IIRC, Hondata tested and said it will still acceptable anyways.

This is after the bend:

And unless you can post a dyno with AFR's, you are speculating that AFR's will be affected.
My friend I think you are drawing speculative conclusions of your own. How do you know that K&N didn't try to lean out the A/F ratios? The fact that no one from K&N will comment on the MAF’s housing diameter, and the fact that they don’t lathe their housings almost guarantees that they’re not using a stock diameter MAF housing now. So the intake will change the mixture to some degree. Furthermore, just about any performance part is going to lean the car out, be it an intake, header, or an exhaust system. Look at any of the dyno graphs on any manufacturer's website and you will see that with each modification the car’s resulting mixture got leaner.

Also, just for reference, I had CP-E dig up the dyno files from their intake testing and attached a couple runs stock/modified to show consistency, actual hp gains, and AF ratios.

Name:  rdx.jpg
Views: 7104
Size:  77.4 KB
Old 03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Instructor

My friend I think you are drawing speculative conclusions of your own. How do you know that K&N didn't try to lean out the A/F ratios? The fact that no one from K&N will comment on the MAF’s housing diameter, and the fact that they don’t lathe their housings almost guarantees that they’re not using a stock diameter MAF housing now. So the intake will change the mixture to some degree. Furthermore, just about any performance part is going to lean the car out, be it an intake, header, or an exhaust system. Look at any of the dyno graphs on any manufacturer's website and you will see that with each modification the car’s resulting mixture got leaner.

Also, just for reference, I had CP-E dig up the dyno files from their intake testing and attached a couple runs stock/modified to show consistency, actual hp gains, and AF ratios.

To SUm all this up what does the dyno chart conclude ?

thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Pro

My friend I think you are drawing speculative conclusions of your own. How do you know that K&N didn't try to lean out the A/F ratios? The fact that no one from K&N will comment on the MAF’s housing diameter, and the fact that they don’t lathe their housings almost guarantees that they’re not using a stock diameter MAF housing now.
Funny how no comment (like they have been asked repeatedly?) on something = guarantee.

It's a tube with a cone filter, something that has never been an issue on 99% of cars out there.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Quote,
"just about any performance part is going to lean the car out, be it an intake, header, or an exhaust system."

This is very true. The guy (Pang) who made his own 3'' downpipe and mid pipe thus deleting both cats noted that with just those exhaust mods and the aftermarket air intake [ i forget which one ], the air/fuel ratio went to 12.1!!
He asked Hondata if they would provide a tune to richen the mixture a bit but they declined. Not surprised!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Exclamation

K&N typhoon intake on 2009 RDX, should be no problem right ?

can anyone please confirm ?
thanks
You have read through this thread, right? It will fit.

I think you should use the search feature for the rest of your questions...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Funny how no comment (like they have been asked repeatedly?) on something = guarantee.
Go ahead and ask them.

Funny how internet posters automatically = engineer.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Pro

I am actually a P.Eng. Funny how everyone who works at a speed shop is also an engineer. You were the one who said they would not comment and "almost gaurantees" - not me.

I'll try to measure the MAF housings this weekend to see what the difference is.

Last edited by cwepruk; 03-19-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

I am actually a P.Eng. Funny how everyone who works at a speed shop is also an engineer. You were the one who said they would not comment and "almost gaurantees" - not me.

I'll try to measure the MAF housings this weekend to see what the difference is.
Never said I was an engineer and I don't act like it either. I present info after speaking with the engineers who design the parts. If you request further information on the intakes feel free to let me know and I will get you in touch with an engineer at CP-E so you can talk to someone who actually is involved in the process.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:36 AM
10th Gear

Just to clarify, this was RDX dyno, correct? Was it their intake only? No hondata? If so that seems like a pretty nice gain, 15-20 hp and tq. K&N only lists like 8.55 hp gain although I know it is only suggested gain based on similar vehicles. Have you found any dyno charts of K&N typhoon or FIPK for the RDX? Just bought an '08 tech is why I ask, which to my surprise already had a K&N replacement filter in the stock housing. Anyway, thanks for any input.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow this thread gave me a head ache.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by windowlickingood
wow this thread gave me a head ache.
What gives people a bigger headache- the original thread comments or people that bumps a more than 3 year old postings.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:18 PM
OMGTHEDONNY

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
This intake tube comes with a drop in filter, does this filter fit our cars as well? Or do you need to order a green filter?

https://prlmotorsports.com/collectio...-intake-system

im going to install the tube and remove one resonator on the pipe itself and leave the stock air box alone
Old 12-06-2021, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
This will not fit on a gen 1 RDX. This will probably fit on a gen 3 RDX. If you want a drop in filter only, K&N makes one for our gen 1. I’m currently just running the stock intake box with drop in filter, deleted the resonator and front attachment, installed a silicone tube that reaches down into the bumper fender space for colder air.