Hondata reflash now available for the RDX

Old 10-08-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
Hondata reflash now available for the RDX

http://www.hondata.com/reflash_rdx.html

Old 10-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the post ... good work on the project!

Is the only way to facilitate the reflash by sending the ECU to Hondata? Is there a portable reflash unit available? One that will hold the performance file as well as the stock file ... where the owner can actually flash the ECU back and forth between the performance file and the stock file?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

Nice numbers!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 PM
7th Gear

Glad to see a reflash for our SUVs. I just have a few question for you.

If I upgrade the intercooler/intake/exhaust/ etc., can we send back the computer for another reflash and how much would this cost?

Can your vendors flash the computer with a custom dyno tuned map?

I only ask because I had problem with preloaded maps for my subaru. They always ran extremely rice and need to be dyno tuned to show improvement. I am not saying your company doesn't know what they are doing, but all cars are different.

I am, however, a fan of reflashing computers and would love to run your product if a vendor is able to dyno tune with it.

Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to your response.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Old 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sick results. I have a few questions.

-If an alternative/extra ECU was purchased, will the car accept it, or is it serialized to only accept the ECU it originally came with?

-The engine is obviously designed to handle the additional load, but will it cause the engine to work at peak stress levels, or is this under the limit threshold?

-With the reflash, will this violate the warranty?

-What is the gas mileage after the reflash?

This should be all for now...
Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 PM

Most of these questions have already been answered on this page:

1) We only have one product - a reflash and it requires sending the ECU to Hondata.

2) The only modification we have tested with is an exhaust - and Church Auto have a tuned reflash for that - covered on the RDX page. As parts become available, we will test them with the reflash.

3) You can send in a new ECU, but an Acura dealer will need to match the immobilizer before it will work on your car.

4) We have had reports of an increase in gas mileage, but it is something we have not tested nor is is something that we advertise. Obviously a product like this has a tendancy to encourage more liberal application of the throttle with a subsequent decline in mileage.

5) We do not believe we are stressing this engine out in the slightest.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hondata
Most of these questions have already been answered on this page:

1) We only have one product - a reflash and it requires sending the ECU to Hondata.

2) The only modification we have tested with is an exhaust - and Church Auto have a tuned reflash for that - covered on the RDX page. As parts become available, we will test them with the reflash.

3) You can send in a new ECU, but an Acura dealer will need to match the immobilizer before it will work on your car.

4) We have had reports of an increase in gas mileage, but it is something we have not tested nor is is something that we advertise. Obviously a product like this has a tendancy to encourage more liberal application of the throttle with a subsequent decline in mileage.

5) We do not believe we are stressing this engine out in the slightest.
Thanks for the response. I quickly scanned the website and only caught a few key items.

I know that some questions require direct contact with the dealership, but you will get these questions from a lot of customers in the future.

With the warranty disclaimer, your webpage says that:

"If you suffer engine damage that is related to excessive revs Honda / Acura will not cover your warranty."

This can normally be caused with or without the reflash program, so the main question is, will this void the warranty, as soon as ACURA determines that the ECU values are other than stock. This modification is much more than a carb legal part(s), and definately alters/modify the emmission structure.

I assume that I answered my own question, but I would prefer to hear it from the makers of the program.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Racer

You can pretty much rest assured that performing the flash will void your warranty, considering Honda/Acura does virtually everything to get out of warranty claims in a normal situation, let alone after changing ECU values.

This looks like a terrific bang for buck mod, though. Once my warranty is up, I'll be all over this.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 PM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...Your mileage may vary...

Hondata: "4) We have had reports of an increase in gas mileage, but it is something we have not tested nor is is something that we advertise. Obviously a product like this has a tendancy to encourage more liberal application of the throttle with a subsequent decline in mileage."

I mentioned this in another post about my prior experiences with boosted rides. Yes indeed, mileage gains can be realized, but only if you can keep the BOOT out of it! Actually, once the need for speed thrill was sated, my 'average' driving habits revealed more mpgs from similar mods.

I challenge those beta testers and early adopters to post their mpg observations once they have calmed down. Just a little.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

If we live local, can we drive by and do a while-you-wait with an appointment?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 AM
El Chulo...

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Post Intake friendly..?

How would the hondata respond to the intake that is being designed for the RDX...?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
If we live local, can we drive by and do a while-you-wait with an appointment?
Go through Epic Motoring. They are located down the street from Hondata and are able to take the car down there while you wait. You cannot deal through Hondata directly, usually and must go through one of their authorized dealers. So your best bet is Epic Motoring.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Missin my TSX =(

this is awesome... so should we wait until an intake/headers/exhaust is available for the car? or can we get it now?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:01 PM

- Providing the intake is correctly designed, the ECU will compensate for any additional cooler air. If we are sent one we will test it and post results.

- Headers for a turbo system will be a little tricky as the turbo pretty much bolts onto the head.

- It should work well with an exhaust system. Church Automotive has developed a reflash optimised for their exhaust.

- We do not take drive ins, but there are local dealers who can bring the car / ECU to us.

- Warranty will depend on the relationship you have with your dealer. Several Acura dealerships are interested in selling this reflash.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Meat Popsicle

[QUOTE=Fishbulb]You can pretty much rest assured that performing the flash will void your warranty, considering Honda/Acura does virtually everything to get out of warranty claims in a normal situation, let alone after changing ECU values.
QUOTE]

Interesting. I have found the exact opposite to be true. I hope you do not think that they should cover the engine when it is being re-engineered by another company? Seems like Hondata should assume the risk, if not the consumer.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 PM
B A N N E D

I would get an OK from Acura corp. to be sure, because you never know.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Which dealers are interested in selling the reflash? I have 6 plus years left on my powertrain warranty, but am VERY interested in the reflash. It would be worth shipping my ecu to just such a dealer to sidestep voiding my warranty.

Joe
Old 10-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We ended up getting an MDX but I am interested in seeing the track numbers and some vids from a reflashed RDX. Do you have any available?

Mike
Old 10-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by scudzuki
Which dealers are interested in selling the reflash? I have 6 plus years left on my powertrain warranty, but am VERY interested in the reflash. It would be worth shipping my ecu to just such a dealer to sidestep voiding my warranty.

Joe
Lol, no dealer is going to sell you an aftermarket ECU reflash, let alone warranty it.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Advanced

So you're saying that Hondata is lying about dealers interested in reselling the reflash? Pretty bold assertion. Have anything to back it up or are you just being a loudmouth?

Joe
Old 10-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
Lol, no dealer is going to sell you an aftermarket ECU reflash, let alone warranty it.
Audi does. BMW does too through third party aftermarket companies. Both either increase boost or increase the rev limit among other things, are sold at the dealers and do not void warranties. Dinan for BMW, and Audi ... I'll have to check an old Road and Track... I forget the name.. damn... definitely NOT GIAC or APR...

Best of both worlds if you ask me!!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by scudzuki
Pretty bold assertion. Have anything to back it up or are you just being a loudmouth?

Joe
Common sense. Look into it.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:11 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
unless there is a def way to not void warranty, i'll wait till my warranty expires...nice option though!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:39 PM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Ebony

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
Folks, go back and re-read the post. We're talking about Hondata dealers doing the reflash, not Honda or Acura dealers.

Link to Hondata Dealers
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Hondata > *

For those concerned with warranty issues, do not be. After all the years of other Honda's having performance reflashes, there have not been any incident where warranty was denied due to ecu reflash. The dealer cannot detect it using the Honda tool, nor any obd2 scan tool.

Coming from RSX community who does this stuff on a regular basis, i tell everyone, this is the BEST mod you can hope for, especially since its coming from Hondata. The TL owners are dying for one, some other newer Honda's BEG for it, and so on. Hondata does not give a flash pushing the limits of your engine, rather a conservative, but better than stock reflash catered to RDX's across the country with varying weather conditions taken into mind.

Its almost impossible to damage the engine from overrev with the auto, as the ecu will not allow a "misshift" or any shift to where the rpms with be out of safety. And yes, the 7200rpm limit is still safe. Heck, on these RDX cams/valvetrain, its good up to 8000rpms, but there is no point in going that far bc no extra power is made past 6800. The 7200rpm is just to keep you higher in the rpms after a shift, keeping u in the peak power band.

This is my next and only mod for my gf's RDX! You can NEVER go wrong with Hondata.

You can purchase it online at **LINK NOT ALLOWED**.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Missin my TSX =(

so did anyone get one yet?, i wouldve got one, but still deciding if we gunna trade it for a lexus
Old 10-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Missin my TSX =(

and where can i buy the church exhaust?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

And one more question .. I know the Hondata flash was tested with a church exhaust, but is it possible (or recommended) to run the new flash without any further modifications, and how would that impact the numbers?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:30 PM

The dyno chart at the beginning of this thread shows a completely stock RDX (lower power curve). The upper power curve shows the same car with the only change being the reflash.

Running the reflash with a stock RDX is fine.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

From the Hondata site:

"Neither a new or used ECU will function with your car until the immobilizer system has been programmed to match your keys. This is something only an Acura dealer can do. A new ECU will also require a VIN number to be programmed into it. Again this is a job for your Acura dealer."

Does this mean the reflash will wipe out the immobilizer system programming?
And you cannot run the car until the Acura dealer re-programs the immobilizer data on top of the reflash?

If so, this means you need a spare car to drive for a few days to go through this process.

How much is a new RDX ECU? I might be easier to buy a new one for this reflash so you get to run your car during the process and keep the original ECU as a backup just in case you need to go back.

Also do you have to come up with a creative reason to ask Acura dealer to reprogram the immobilizer system data so that they don't mark the vehicle record to void certain equipment coverage?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

chinhman,

the reflash keeps the immob programming. using a NEW ecu would require you to get your dealer to add the immob programming back into the new ecu.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zuzzu
chinhman,

the reflash keeps the immob programming. using a NEW ecu would require you to get your dealer to add the immob programming back into the new ecu.

If that is the case then the following

[/QUOTE]Neither a new or used ECU will function with your car until the immobilizer system has been programmed to match your keys. [/QUOTE]

needs to be clarified as

Other than the original ECU that came with the car, no ECU will function with your car until the immobilizer system has been programmed to match your keys....
Old 10-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

well, maybe I am wrong. Hondata, what is the definitive word on this?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How would the dealer detect this?

I have had bad luck with warranties and mods before. Most dealers hook up a scan tool every now and then and I would hate to for them to find out.

If I get my RDX in the next three weeks, I'll probably do the reflash pretty quick.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Hondata > *

dealer cannot detect it without actually running the car in sportshift mode all the way up to the new rev limit.

Hondata uses the Honda PCM/ECM diagnostic machine (or at least their own makeshift programmer) themselves to tune. The programming is the same kind Honda/Acura uses, so there is no "marker" to detect a different "software".

To clarify the immobilizer questions, YOUR ECU is matched with YOUR car's immobilizer unit in the steering column. Another ecu, whether it be a new or used ecu, will not work without taking the ECU and car to the dealer to get it "matched".
Old 10-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

Just looked up the Hondata dealer list and found one Hondata dealer near where I live. I called them but they told me to call back next week because the guy that does the reflash is out this week. I hope there will be no [or little] unexpected cost beside the advertised pricing and I hope to share good news with everyone soon.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Advanced

I'm going to wait until next time I can give up my car for a couple of days, but I'm definitely going to pull the trigger on this.

Joe
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Intermediate

The guy told me it should take only a day since I can just drive the car there instead of shipping the ECU in and wait for it to come back.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:30 AM
AWD + Turbo = FTW

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
and where can i buy the church exhaust?
+1
Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRDX
+1
Not to sound too much like a skeptic, but if the ECU can be programmed to provide more power and torque and a flatter curve, AND it may actually improve gas mileage, AND it doesn't stress the engine in the least... why didn't Acura just ship it stock with the ECU tuned this way?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hondata reflash now available for the RDX