Way Over My head DIY B1 Service

Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way Over My head DIY B1 Service

I'm sure some of you guys are just as adamantly against giving money away to the stealerships for maintenance as I am. So I decided to buy a service repair manual and figured I'd do things slowly by the book and learn as I go.

Well this would be my first B1 service and to be honest, I'm overwhelmed by the check list for this service. The oil change and tire rotation is easy enough, especially with the DIY guides posted on here, but everything else seems like my life is going to depend on it (removing calipers ).

So what do you guy think? Should I do it myself, or pucker up and pay the damn dealership for the the B1 service. Maybe do half (oil and rotation) and have the dealership do the checks.

This is the checklist from the manual. (No copy-write infringement intended, it's just a checklist)
Attached Thumbnails Way Over My head DIY B1 Service-12-13-2011-9-39-15-am.jpg  
Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
What i did when i got that was:

1> did my oil change myself
2> reset the code
3> took it in for a 150 point inspection ($100)

called it a day
Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
to be honest, the 100pt inspection is just bullish.

rotate tires, change oil, reset oil life monitor and call it a day.
and if you're not wanting to call it aday..... every 6k miles, you're going to have to repeat this.

Dont know how much you drive, but if i had to do a 100pt inspection every 6k miles...I'd be fed up!!!
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (12-24-2012)
Old 12-13-2011, 01:30 PM

^^^ B1 doesnt show up every 6K miles....

A1/A12 etc shows up every 6K miles....which is oil and filter + rotate tires....

Also, I think its good to get ur car inspected every 105K miles....i got it done the first time i got B1 (i was a :noob: )

then i got it done with my 105K miles servicing (@133K miles )

awaiting the next 105K miles service to get it done
justnspace (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^still, its a lot to check.
and even then....most of the components are not failing.
if they were, you would know.
swoosh (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Most of that list is just visual inspection. If you have no automotive experience then you'll have no idea what to look for. Worst case scenario; you miss a leaking brake line and wrap the car around a tree. Chances are next to nill this will happen. However, if you feel uncomfortable, laying on your back under the car, tugging at driveshafts, Take it to the dealer.
justnspace (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 01:44 PM

you bet....but when i pay the dealership $100 for a 150 point check they:
1> do the check
2> lube all the stuff that needs greasing....

and hence i do that....else i wudnt pay $0.01 for them to check something when i can check it myself....

but i do understand ur point of view as well....
justnspace (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 02:06 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Omnious
I'm sure some of you guys are just as adamantly against giving money away to the stealerships for maintenance as I am. So I decided to buy a service repair manual and figured I'd do things slowly by the book and learn as I go.

Well this would be my first B1 service and to be honest, I'm overwhelmed by the check list for this service. The oil change and tire rotation is easy enough, especially with the DIY guides posted on here, but everything else seems like my life is going to depend on it (removing calipers ).

So what do you guy think? Should I do it myself, or pucker up and pay the damn dealership for the the B1 service. Maybe do half (oil and rotation) and have the dealership do the checks.

This is the checklist from the manual. (No copy-write infringement intended, it's just a checklist)
If you go to the dealer-do not tell them you want the B1 service-just ask for a oil/filter change and if you want ask for the tire rotation. They will do an inspection. I take my car to an acura dealer for all my service-not overcharged and not sold unneeded service. The last time I went was Oct. 28th-car had 127,913 miles with the B-1 code showing. They did an oil/filter change and tire/rotation balance. My brakes measured 6 in front and 5 in back. Not bad for the originals.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:34 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
and even then....most of the components are not failing.
if they were, you would know.
I know a guy who did not routinely inspect his AWD sports car. The rear differential was leaking and he didn't know it. When the diff lost enough fluid it overheated and caught fire. The fire couldn't be controlled quickly enough and it consumed the car.

Most of the RDX inspections are fairly easy to do. However the Service Manual shows you what to do but not how to do it. So go get these two Hayne's Techbooks:
1. the Suspension, Steering and Driveline Manual
2. the Brake Manual.
Just about everything you need to know to do underbody inspections is in there. There is much more on internet forums and videos.

You can see all of the RDX brake pads by removing the wheels and looking through the caliper windows, no need to remove calipers.

Look for leaking fluids at axle shaft seals and check the levels in the SH and transfer by removing the fill plugs with a 3/8 drive.

Many other checks are simply for condition and security, such as the CV joint boots, brake, fuel and evap lines.

Just get started. Ask questions when you need to. You will wonder why you paid $70/hour for this.

Last edited by 737 Jock; 12-13-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justnspace
to be honest, the 100pt inspection is just bullish.

rotate tires, change oil, reset oil life monitor and call it a day.
and if you're not wanting to call it aday..... every 6k miles, you're going to have to repeat this.

Dont know how much you drive, but if i had to do a 100pt inspection every 6k miles...I'd be fed up!!!
I hear ya! Every 6000 miles B1 is really excessive for any vehicle and that doesn't include the cost between for A1.

My local dealership in Cypress CA quotes $90 for B1 service that includes the 29 point check instead. If I opt out of the oil and filter and only pay for the checks, it'll be $115 Dealerships and their crazy pricing.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm looking forward to getting greasy this weekend.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Jock
I know a guy who did not routinely inspect his AWD sports car. The rear differential was leaking and he didn't know it. When the diff lost enough fluid it overheated and caught fire...
Not likely. A riff that overheated and caught fire would be so obviously noisy proir to the act, with rattles, clanks and vibrations, (not to mention the fluid on the driveway/garage floor) that it should clue anyone familiar with their vehicle into getting it checked out.

Tell your friend to turn down the stereo in his car.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 12-14-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,175 Posts
I save a lot of $$ by planning ahead:

- lifetime free balance and rotation from discount tire
- lifetime alignment from firestone
- purchase own motor oil for oil changes at dealership
- K/N airfilter with cleaning kit
- purchase cheaper/better cabin air filter online

I pretty much cut my Acura bill close to 1/2 by doing the stuff above. I still have the Acura folks do any scheduled inspections and other scheduled maint (5AT flush, sh-awd oil change, inspect brakes, etc...).

My glory days of spending my weekend under my car up to my elbows in oil are over.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I save a lot of $$ by planning ahead:

- lifetime free balance and rotation from discount tire
- lifetime alignment from firestone
- purchase own motor oil for oil changes at dealership
- K/N airfilter with cleaning kit
- purchase cheaper/better cabin air filter online

I pretty much cut my Acura bill close to 1/2 by doing the stuff above. I still have the Acura folks do any scheduled inspections and other scheduled maint (5AT flush, sh-awd oil change, inspect brakes, etc...).

My glory days of spending my weekend under my car up to my elbows in oil are over.
why dont u get the lifetime balance and alignment at firestone....1 stop shop....

why dont you do your own oil changes ? its very very simple....

you can clean KNN air filter with soap water no need to spend $10 odd on the cleaning kit....

cabin filter, you can buy online and DIY

do all this and you will cut ur dealership bills by 100% haha
Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
why dont u get the lifetime balance and alignment at firestone....1 stop shop....

why dont you do your own oil changes ? its very very simple....

you can clean KNN air filter with soap water no need to spend $10 odd on the cleaning kit....

cabin filter, you can buy online and DIY

do all this and you will cut ur dealership bills by 100% haha
In my younger days, I did all my oil changes, brakes, trans flush, A/C checks, tune ups, water pump replacements, replaced CV boots, starter replacements, etc...

The lifetime balance and rotation was cheaper at Discount tire where I purchased my tires.

It cost $26 to change my oil at the dealership and they vac/wash the car afterwards. I'm willing to pay $26 for that compared to paying for filter, crush washer, oil disposal, clean up and the time from start to finish completing the entire task. Fair trade off in my book.

I could use Dawn to clean my K/N air filter; but, I haven't seen/read where folks are doing this? I would hate to find out the hard way regular soap caused long term problems.

I still prefer letting the professional do some of the work I don't want to spend time doing. Doing my part for the economy!!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Everyone, I just got the rdx (private sale)on friday today, the B1 service comes up, says oil life is 15%. I am like DANG already lol. Anyways, car has 42225. Anyone know the cost of the B1 service here in the greater NYC area? should I do all of it or just the oil and filter change. Thanks in advance

Also sorry for the thread jack OP, figured this would be the best place to put this.

thanks again
Old 12-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I used to get tires mounted and balanaced at discount tire then drive to firestone and get a free alignment but there always seemed to be ride issues, so recently i picked up new tires from discount and took them to acura and had them mount balance, program tpms and do the alignment all at once and it was the best ride ever with a perfectly straight steering wheel.