RDX Ski Attachment

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI, for those who bought the RDX ski attachment, be warned that the instructions are not for an RDX. The cross member shown in the instructions is not an RDX cross member (not sure, might be CR-V). There is no plastic cover to remove to get the end of the cross member off so you can slide the t-bolts in. I couldn't get the ends off because the torx bolts were so tight, so I removed the rubber strip and took a dremel to the channel to open it up at one end so I could slide the t-bolts in. This is a very poorly designed rack system, but if you have the right tools you can modify it to work as I did.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by djbarber
FYI, for those who bought the RDX ski attachment, be warned that the instructions are not for an RDX. The cross member shown in the instructions is not an RDX cross member (not sure, might be CR-V). There is no plastic cover to remove to get the end of the cross member off so you can slide the t-bolts in. I couldn't get the ends off because the torx bolts were so tight, so I removed the rubber strip and took a dremel to the channel to open it up at one end so I could slide the t-bolts in. This is a very poorly designed rack system, but if you have the right tools you can modify it to work as I did.
I don't see the plastic cover either. So to remove the crossbars do you need to unscrew the top torx bolt?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Cruisin'

FYI on the ski rack. The instructions do not mention re-installing the the weather stripping on the cross bars after the rack is installed, so i left it off, the forward cross bar whistled like crazy from 25 mph and up. I cut up the weather stripping to fit around the ski rack mounts, problem solved.
Now only problem is if i wish to keep the cross bars on in summer i will need rubber stripping. Bet you can't buy it!!

Good Luck!