2008 RDX water pump replacement. Other parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 RDX water pump replacement. Other parts?

First time poster, just moved from a 97 CRV to a 08 RDX Tech with 114K miles. Bought from original owner, all regular services done on schedule with exception of 105K interval (did fluids up to present mileage, but not parts). I realize the plugs must be done ASAP. As for DIY-ing the water pump replacement, looking for suggestions on what other parts to do along with it. I'm thinking belt, complete tensioner, and thermostat. What about radiator hoses? Anything else while I've got the WP off?

I'm also curious about buying parts online from Acura sources versus generic OEM supply houses. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Just curious - is it leaking or making noise? Usually you have some advance notice before a water pump goes. As for what to replace with it...it wouldn't hurt to replace the accessory belt and tensioner while you're in there. Maybe the thermostat and at least inspect the coolant hoses while the system is empty.

BUT

Unless the pump is actually showing signs of wear or imminent failure, I'd make sure the coolant has been flushed at some point in the last couple years and just keep on truckin'.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by joerand
generic OEM
Not sure what this means?

For something as essential as a water pump, I'd definitely stick with OEM parts.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:29 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Generic OEM.
Not sure what this means?

For something as essential as a water pump, I'd definitely stick with OEM parts.
Acura parts are available online through Acura dealers - guaranteed genuine OEM parts typically warranted for 12,000 miles. Same parts as my local Seattle area dealer but for half the price, so makes sense for me to buy them online. I'd call these genuine OEM parts.

On the other hand, online parts warehouses (non-Acura dealer, let's call them generic) offer numerous choices for a given part with various levels of warranty, many lifetime. Just looking at the serpentine belt alone, there are at least a dozen choices ranging in price from $17 to >$75. Several say OEM, some of the pricier ones are not OEM but are guaranteed to fit and carry lifetime warranties. Gates alone makes three different belts for the RDX. I suspect a top of the line Gates likely exceeds the OEM specs of Acura.

I drove my 97 CRV for 250K and always grabbed lifetime warranty parts locally. I'm a little more concerned with buying parts for the RDX. Maybe I shouldn't be. Just new to Acura and trying to get some advice from the experienced members. Am I good to go as long as a part says OEM?
Old 02-21-2016, 02:12 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Just curious - is it leaking or making noise? Usually you have some advance notice before a water pump goes. As for what to replace with it...it wouldn't hurt to replace the accessory belt and tensioner while you're in there. Maybe the thermostat and at least inspect the coolant hoses while the system is empty.

BUT

Unless the pump is actually showing signs of wear or imminent failure, I'd make sure the coolant has been flushed at some point in the last couple years and just keep on truckin'.
This would have been my inclination as well. I had an inspection before buying and Acura prepared a list of recommended repairs - valve adjust, plug replace, WP/belt/tensioner. Two service reps (spoken to independently) said their top priority would be to do the WP first. They said once you notice a leak the pump has already failed and they go fast. Not worth getting stranded or overheating, esp with turbo. Hence my concern. Again, I'm new to Acura and turbos. Frankly, new to dealer service as well. Did all my own service on my Hondas in the past. Plugs seem the first order of business to me - notice poorer starting when engine is hot.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
There's OEM. There's Generic. There's no such thing as generic OEM.

Generic parts parts will claim OEM fitment and performance (some deliver, some don't). I've purchased generic's with a lifetime warranty.....and had to use it (3 tries to get a good AutoZone starter for my ex's '97 CR-V (great little vehicles, by the way)).

In some cases, if the part was outsourced to a 3rd party manufacture (such as Bosch or Denso), you can buy the 3rd party branded part. Look closely though, just because the radiator says Denso, doesn't mean it's of the same build and quality as the Denso sourced Honda radiator.

That said, we're probably saying pretty much the same thing.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
If the WP is cheap and easy, then I'd say go for it. I only question it because I know a lot of guys on the board here are in the 150-200k mile range and have not had to do any of those services yet. Agreed with the others on going OEM though. Some sites have pretty solid prices: WATER PUMP for 2008 Acura RDX|19200-RWC-A01

And good on you for driving the hell out of that CR-V - those B-series engines are insanely durable. My brother has a '99 that's about to tick over 300k. Interior is shit, the driveshaft snapped off this past summer (it's just a FWD model now), the a/c barely does anything, but it shifts as smoothly as day one, and with a set of new engine mounts it would drive the same.