oil and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil and warranty

hey guys,
i just read one of the posts stating that warranty will be void if mobil 1 oil was not used.
I wonder:
1. is this true? where can i read about this on official site/ documentation?
2. assuming the stmnt above is true, what if i'm not an original owner? so i'm buying a vehicle that was not serviced with mobile 1 - i'm out of luck and warranty?....
thank you
A.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Advanced

You have incorrect information. 5W-30 mobile 1 or any equivalent oil meeting Acura HTO-06 standard should be fine. Look for HTO-06 label.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rexmaster
You have incorrect information. 5W-30 mobile 1 or any equivalent oil meeting Acura HTO-06 standard should be fine. Look for HTO-06 label.
thank you. What about my other question?
thank you
Old 03-25-2009, 10:54 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
this question should be asked at the place u bought from, or call Acura directly...i wouldnt rely on any one person's opinion...each dealer may tell u different
Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMike1981
this question should be asked at the place u bought from, or call Acura directly...i wouldnt rely on any one person's opinion...each dealer may tell u different
True, but I just stated what's in the manual. As long as the oil meets HTO-06 stanard, there should not be any issues with warranty.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 AM
big shot.

yea there shouldnt be...doesnt mean there wont be
Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 PM
6th Gear

I just got off the phone with CS. Their answer - bring to dealer and he should run checks ( $) to determine if the car is in good condition - have all the right parts etc.. they ( Acura ) go with the dealer determination on this.

how much is for certification? do you guys know ?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
big shot.

the dealer is usually king so just be careful and get some solid authority
Old 03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Some dealers don't know what they are doing. If you have issues with one dealership, go to a different dealer in your area with good customer service reputation. It happened to my wrx with speedometer gear failure. This dealer where I purchased my car denied the warranty service since I have reflash and turboback. Yet the speedometer gear failure has nothing to with any modifications. Even SoA (Subaru of America) acknowledged that! I went to a second dealer and they were able to diagnose the problem and covered in under warranty.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

How would they even know if the car had non-synthetic oil? Just start using the correct oil (HTO-06 standard) and be done with it.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
The dealer will only start investigating oil change history if you have engine problems that are related to using incorrect oil or not changing oil on time. The need of receipts is not always necessary, they typically take engine apart and look at some specific parts of the engine, and if they see things that are consistent with:
1) Not using HTO6
2) Not changing oil on time

Only then they will start investigating and possibly denying your warranty. This happened to a person I know with his toyota, he was an idiot and did not change oil on time (20K or more), then he had some engine noise and problems, so dealer took his engine apart and found some sludge that only happens when you don't change oil on time.

another thing to note, dealer is paid by Honda for waranty repair, so its not in their interest to deny your warranty, however, they are obligated to do the MINIMUM of whats required by Honda to investigate/verify (because they don't want to lose $$$). Its not in their interest to be very anal and deny as many warranty repairs as possible.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:06 AM
big shot.

the battle of warranty repairs and placing blame on the consumer is just that - the consumer is the way out of spending $$, yea the dealer wants the money for the service, but they are not authorizing the call to do the work - Acura needs to authorize it first (hence why alot of the time they wont and you are screwed).....they may investigate, but the burden is ultimately on YOU to prove the problem in situations...it is ALWAYS helpful to have receipts/proof of work or product, not doing so would be idiotic
Old 03-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I am telling you a specific example to what happened to somebody I know. It obviously varies from case to case, but this is the general outcome to expect.
Simply because you don't have receipt, they can not deny coverage of your engine. Only if the problem is related to not using the right oil or changing it on time.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:04 PM
6th Gear

thankyou RussainDude, you seemed to read my mind on the subject
good site, btw. all folks from ua?

to Mike:
not to argue, but "innocent until proven guilty" ( ONCHR, art. 11 http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/lang/eng.htm ).
Old 03-29-2009, 01:07 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The manual clearly states Mobil 1 5W30 or any HTO-06 approved oil. So they would be grasping pretty hard if you used another HTOP-06 brand and tried to void your warranty,

Keep in mind, that they would likely never even begin to know or question that unless you had engine issues - which is highly unlikely. If you'r A/C conks out, they aren't going to ask you for oil change records to validate warranty.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by babo

to Mike:
not to argue, but "innocent until proven guilty" ( ONCHR, art. 11 http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/lang/eng.htm ).
jsut to clarify, did u just actually link human rights......lol

the REALITY is, is that this has nothing to do with guilt, innocence, or proof (altho that always helps)...you are at the mercy of the company and the dealer, regardless of what you think, or, what you think you are entitled to (whether that be a human right, a legal right, or the magnuson act etc etc)
Old 03-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MMike1981
you are at the mercy of the company and the dealer, regardless of what you think, or, what you think you are entitled to (whether that be a human right, a legal right, or the magnuson act etc etc)
I agree, its true that its all up to the company. But from a business point of view, it does not make a lot of sense to give people hard time getting things fixed under warranty. Dealer certainly welcomes warranty work, and the manufacture wants people to stay happy with Acura brand.... if too many people start b*tching that Acura is pain in the ass to stand behind their product, things won't look good for Acura. Think about, just because you don't have a receipt for oil change and your engine broke down does not mean you get no warranty work. what if you lost a receipt... or in my case dealership got bought by another dealership, and apparently they don't have prior records.... does it mean I am screwed?

Last edited by russianDude; 03-31-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:23 AM
big shot.

fixing little things...no it doest, makes more sense to keep the customer happy when its costing you a small nominal amt...however, when vehicles need much bigger service, where there is gray area in terms of the root of the problem, how and when it existed etc n so forth.....you can bet on that "warranty" service not coming as quick as you may expect, or in some cases, denial of something covered under warranty

proof/slips/service records...of course would always help, but are not conclusive of anything, they are just proof of work that day/time frame....if the owner says one thing, the dealer will say another thing...so who ultimately calls the shot...the company, when the company says no...what do you do? well thats the choice many consumers have to make....eat the service bill or engage other options, which of course, will cost you probably the same if not more money than the actual service bill to fix whatever the conflict is about

those battles happen all the time -- thats why finding a good dealer, and more importantly, a GOOD SERVICE DEPT, is a plus when it comes time to getting the things that you need done, whether that be QUICK hassle free warranty work or just good work in general, you want the dealer on your side, they are the link between the company....whether they are rooting for u or against you, thats another thing, but u can have some control or influence over that

but when the company would get involved...having those records or slips etc is much better than not having something, just to say YO, here is the work, done by you, so now its your problem.

in my experience, honda and acura have been great....really no issues....mazda & nissan, very very different. Acura lemoned my car in 1 month....mazda, 6 month ordeal and still would not admit the problems but bought the car back literally...nissan, similar results...other companies....similar stories, after the point of sale, the chances of the company spending money on your ride diminish (obviously) and the chances of the company obsorbing big $$ for something they can possibly get out of def rise...consumers get taken advantage of thats really all there is to it
Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just look for the oils that have the "HT0-06" label on the back:

Mobil 1
Pennzoil Synthetic
0w-30 Amsoil