does oil filter needs to be changed evey oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 707 Likes on 549 Posts
does oil filter needs to be changed evey oil change?

If you read the manual, it looks like you can do it every other oil change, but probably most people still replace the oil filter each time they put new oil. replacing oil filter is a bit more messy than replacing oil, so I was wondering if I can drag it out
Old 07-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
on the rdx its far from a mess, I make more of a mess draining the oil (missing the pan lol) then removing the filter and its way too easy to replace on the x.

On my prelude and I bet your CL it sits in such a tight location you can actually burn your hand getting to it.

Either way, I change the filter on all cars at every oil change. I'm sure if you use a good quality filter you don't have to worry about changing it but with honda filter I wouldn't.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

well, when I changed it on RDX it was easy to drain the oil, not a dropped spilled and hands clear, but when I unscrewed the filter, oil came pouring on my hands and it made a mess. I am glad I only slightly warmed up the car... yeah, honda filter is nothing special, I was thinking of getting Mobil1 and change it every other oil change, which is what owner manual recommends.
btw, do you need to fully warm up the car before changing oil? I think it just needs to be slightly warm(thats what I did), this way it drains faster, but otherwise if you just need to let it drain a bit longer.
its so easy to change oil on RDX, I can't believe it! Besides, I am doing it properly! I've got torque wrench and all... Last time my Acura dealer tightened drain plug way more than 29 lb/ft, bustards, and they also charge you $80 for oil change, it cost me $30 and 30 min of my time (well, not really, when oil was draining I went doing other things.)
Old 07-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Speaking of my CL, i need to get ramps, and then I am not sure if I can easily remove the filter. I change oil on CL once a year, so its not a big deal. But on RDX, my wife drives so much... it needs oil change every 3 month. I'd be broke if I had to go to the dealer each time.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
If you read the manual, it looks like you can do it every other oil change, but probably most people still replace the oil filter each time they put new oil. replacing oil filter is a bit more messy than replacing oil, so I was wondering if I can drag it out
My take on this - after you take a shower do you replace your underwear? Same difference in my eye.
Yes I always change the filter during an oil change.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Briar
My take on this - after you take a shower do you replace your underwear? Same difference in my eye.
Yes I always change the filter during an oil change.
well, if manufacture does not require it, then I am up to it if it helps me reduce the amount of mess and time it takes. Yes, I know its easy to change the filter, but I find it a bit more messy job than simply draining the oil
Old 07-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Go for Wix (or napa gold) over M1 for a quality filter.

since your int he US you can buy bulk from fleetfilters.com
Old 07-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Curious question...

Before buying my RDX I obtained a Carfax for my trade. I was surprised to see every service visit was on the report - even oil changes!

I guess what I'm saying is I found out a Carfax report can help you or hinder you in the buying process.

It sounds like if you change your own oil you save *A LOT* of money, but has anyone considered the trade-in ramifications in this situation?

Is there any value in being able to prove you did the maintenance and did it right?

I'm aware Acura dealer mechanics are fallable, but I think they are predominately better than the average Acura driver at the same tasks probably because they have most of the right tools and data for the job.

Lastly, does a lease make any difference? If you're going to get rid of the car after a few years is maintenance less important since you may not have to deal with the problems that can happen later on?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by STLBill
Curious question...
Is there any value in being able to prove you did the maintenance and did it right?
I am making entries into a maintenance log book and also stapling receipts for oil and filters. Buyers will accept this as a proof.

I'm aware Acura dealer mechanics are fallable, but I think they are predominately better than the average Acura driver at the same tasks probably because they have most of the right tools and data for the job.
You are right, they are better at certain tasks. But I can guarantee you that the way I change oil is better than any dealer. First of all, I give plenty of time for oil to completely drain (1 hours+). dealers are often in rush to get cars moving, and don't wait for a complete drain. Second, I use torque wrench to torque drain bolt to 29 ft-lb. My 1st oil change was free from dealership, and guess what, they over-torqued the drain plug way over 29 ft-lb. And thats because they dont even use torque wrench. I do it myself and I do it right, and it gives me great satisfaction knowing its done right.
On top of that, I save $50 each time I change oil myself. It takes me the same amount of time that I would have spent driving to the dealership and waiting for them to be done.

Lastly, does a lease make any difference? If you're going to get rid of the car after a few years is maintenance less important since you may not have to deal with the problems that can happen later on?
If you are leasing the car you still have to maintain it. Its true that you might get lucky that the car will not break while you own it, but if it does brake and you fail to present a proof of maintaining it, you will have to pay for its repair. I know someone who ignored to change his oil because he was thinking what you were thinking and his engine was sounding funny, so when he brought it back, they heard the noise and started inspecting the car, they even opened something in engine and found an indication of sludge so they asked him for a proof of oil changes. In the end they wanted $2K extra for him to get out of lease to remove the sludge. I would not say it happens often that they check, but something seriously wrong will not go unnoticed.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think those monkeys have ever touched my car without screwing something up. It was easier for me to just put a compressor in the garage than deal with them.