DIY: Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda2.4
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...1_Brochure.pdf

I don't agree. Honda tested all the retail PCMO's on the shelf. According to Honda R&D, not Mobil, the others failed miserably. One passed, barely, but not enough for me to use it.
Oh yeah, and on that graph what is exactly "fully synthetic oil A, B, C...." If they did not want to specify the make of the oil they were testing, for all I know, it could be some really crappy synthetic oil that you would not put in any car, like "quaker state" or something worse
(sorry I never liked quaker state...)
And if you notice on a graph oil "A" meets minimally acceptable, and given marketing gimmicks, the graph shown might not go in equal units, so the gap looks very big because it was magnified like crazy
Old 03-05-2008, 01:00 PM
07 PWP RDX all day!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice tips thanks for sharing!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
RiDiX w/ Tech

Nice write up. I think I’ll do my own oil change next time.

I have a question about the amount of oil to put in. I think in the manual it states 4.9Qt, so roughly about 5 Qt. Should more oil be added until the oil level reads full on the dip stick?

I got an oil change at R & S yesterday, and had them use the M1 5Qt jug and a M1 oil filter I brought from WalMart. After dumping the whole 5Qt in, the mechanic checked the dip stick and said it was a little short. They wanted to put a little more in to top it off to full. I told him the manual only recommends 5 Qts. I asked them not to add any more, and that I will check again when I get home to add more if necessary.

Do I need to top it?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by m28matrix
Nice write up. I think I’ll do my own oil change next time.

I have a question about the amount of oil to put in. I think in the manual it states 4.9Qt, so roughly about 5 Qt. Should more oil be added until the oil level reads full on the dip stick?

I got an oil change at R & S yesterday, and had them use the M1 5Qt jug and a M1 oil filter I brought from WalMart. After dumping the whole 5Qt in, the mechanic checked the dip stick and said it was a little short. They wanted to put a little more in to top it off to full. I told him the manual only recommends 5 Qts. I asked them not to add any more, and that I will check again when I get home to add more if necessary.

Do I need to top it?

I would. It doesn't hurt to overfill a bit but it will kill if the motor is starved of oil (that doesn't mean go and put in a whole litre, I'd aim at the 2nd dot on the dot )
Old 03-14-2008, 01:02 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
How-To Steps (this helped me do my DIY on the TSX)

Getting Ready
Step 1:
Gather necessary tools and materials (refer to Necessary Items list). If you plan to change your oil regularly, consider investing in jack stands, a socket set and an oil drain pan.

Step 2:
Run the car's engine for 10 minutes before you drain the oil. Warm oil drains faster than cold oil.

Step 3:
Park the car on a level surface, engage the parking brake and turn off the engine. If your car has a low clearance, raise it by driving it onto a ramp or by jacking it up and supporting it securely.

Step 4:
Open the hood and place the new oil and funnel on top of the engine to ensure that you won't forget to add oil afterwards (an expensive mistake that many do-it-yourselfers make!).

Draining the Oil and Changing the Oil Filter
Step 1:
Crawl under the car once it is securely supported.

Step 2:
Locate the oil drain plug on the underside of the engine, usually near the front center of the car. Consult your owner's manual for the exact location.

Step 3:
Place the oil drain pan under the plug and loosen the plug with a socket wrench. Remember: turn counterclockwise to remove bolts.

Step 4:
Remove the plug by hand. Be prepared for the rush of hot oil!

Step 5:
Let the oil drain into the pan. Hold onto the plug.

Step 6:
Reposition the pan, if necessary, to catch all the dripping oil.

Step 7:
Wipe off the drain plug and the plug opening when the oil finishes draining.

Step 8:
Replace the drain plug gasket.

Step 9:
Reinstall the plug. Always start threading any bolts or screws by hand to prevent cross threading.

Step 10:
Tighten with a wrench or socket. Be careful not to overtighten the plug.

Step 11:
Locate the existing oil filter. Oil filters are usually on the side of the engine.

Step 12:
Position the oil pan underneath the filter to catch any remaining oil.

Step 13:
Use an adjustable oil filter wrench to unscrew the old oil filter.

Step 14:
Use a rag to wipe the area where the filter mounts to the engine. Make sure the rubber seal of the old filter is not stuck to the engine.

Step 15:
Use some new oil to lightly coat the rubber seal of the new filter.

Step 16:
Screw the new filter into place by hand. It's usually not necessary to tighten the oil filter with the oil filter wrench, but have it at the ready if you're grip's not strong (or large) enough.

Installing New Oil and Cleaning Up
Step 1:
Locate the oil filler cap on top of the engine. Remove it.

Step 2:
Place the funnel in the opening and pour in the new oil. Typically, you will use 4 to 5 quarts of oil. Check your manual for the correct oil capacity.

Step 3:
Replace the cap when you're finished.

Step 4:
Run the engine for a minute, then check the dipstick. Add more oil if necessary.

Step 5:
Check the area around the oil drain plug and the filter for oil leaks. Tighten the plug or oil filter if you find leakage.

Step 6:
Use rags and newspapers to wipe away excess oil.

Step 7:
Pour the used oil into a plastic container after the used oil cools.

Step 8:
Dispose the used oil properly: either bring it to a recycling center or an auto repair shop that can recycle it for you. Don't pour it down the sewer!
The following users liked this post:
Last Acura (09-05-2012)
Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura604

Getting Ready
Step 1:
Gather necessary tools and materials (refer to Necessary Items list). If you plan to change your oil regularly, consider investing in jack stands, a socket set and an oil drain pan.

Step 2:
Run the car's engine for 10 minutes before you drain the oil. Warm oil drains faster than cold oil.

Step 3:
Park the car on a level surface, engage the parking brake and turn off the engine. If your car has a low clearance, raise it by driving it onto a ramp or by jacking it up and supporting it securely.

Step 4:
Open the hood and place the new oil and funnel on top of the engine to ensure that you won't forget to add oil afterwards (an expensive mistake that many do-it-yourselfers make!).

Step 1:

Step 2:
Locate the oil drain plug on the underside of the engine, usually near the front center of the car. Consult your owner's manual for the exact location.

Step 3:
Place the oil drain pan under the plug and loosen the plug with a socket wrench. Remember: turn counterclockwise to remove bolts.

Step 4:

Step 5:

Step 6:

Step 7:

Step 8:

Step 9:
Reinstall the plug. Always start threading any bolts or screws by hand to prevent cross threading.

Step 10:

Step 11:
Locate the existing oil filter. Oil filters are usually on the side of the engine.

Step 12:

Step 13:

Step 14:
Use a rag to wipe the area where the filter mounts to the engine. Make sure the rubber seal of the old filter is not stuck to the engine.

Step 15:

Step 16:
Screw the new filter into place by hand. It's usually not necessary to tighten the oil filter with the oil filter wrench, but have it at the ready if you're grip's not strong (or large) enough.

Step 1:

Step 2:
Place the funnel in the opening and pour in the new oil. Typically, you will use 4 to 5 quarts of oil. Check your manual for the correct oil capacity.

Step 3:

Step 4:
Run the engine for a minute, then check the dipstick. Add more oil if necessary.

Step 5:
Check the area around the oil drain plug and the filter for oil leaks. Tighten the plug or oil filter if you find leakage.

Step 6:

Step 7:

Step 8:
Dispose the used oil properly: either bring it to a recycling center or an auto repair shop that can recycle it for you. Don't pour it down the sewer!
um..nice post, you could have added this to my picture post of an oil change in the DIY section!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:09 PM
G&V
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm a new RDX owner and am looking at doing my own oil changes down the road. Here is one little part that I found to be a great help when doing oil changes on my WRX:

Fumoto Valve - http://www.fumotousa.com/

It's a valve that lets you adjust the flow out of the drain pan... no more mess's! Also, not to worry - It's well designed in a way that a rock or debris cannot open the valve up while driving.

Has anybody done this to their RDX yet? I haven't been under the vehicle yet, but the site lists only two different Acura applications: 4 cyl and 6 cyl. Now, I know next to nothing about Honda engines, so would our turbo 4 cyl engine fit into the "normal" 4 cyl category? Also for those that have done the oil changes, will it need the adapter for recessed drain plug configurations?
Old 03-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Grand Pubah

Hey... Lrpba... 2nd change and still referred to this post... thanks again...... oh also... had the a16 service come up... bought the last oil from auto store but found the 5w30 at Wally Word @ 22.80 for 5qts...saved a few $$$ suggest all try Wally 1st... though my Wally didnt carry any M1 filters and the FRAM autoputer didnt reference any filters for '07 RDX.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Sporty X type

again, your welcome. Ain't it easy to do?? I usually get my M1 filter from Advanced Auto, but I'm sure there are others. Enjoy!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Grand Pubah

Originally Posted by Lrpba300
again, your welcome. Ain't it easy to do?? I usually get my M1 filter from Advanced Auto, but I'm sure there are others. Enjoy!
Yeah very easy... so much more than my MDX. I ended up getting the M1 filter at AutoZone... I was just trying to avoid taking a 2nd trip. In then end it was worth going to Wally World for the oil but had the one extra stop for filters... $9.99 a pop... ouch...
Old 03-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Sporty X type

Talking

Originally Posted by one4gatr
Yeah very easy... so much more than my MDX. I ended up getting the M1 filter at AutoZone... I was just trying to avoid taking a 2nd trip. In then end it was worth going to Wally World for the oil but had the one extra stop for filters... $9.99 a pop... ouch...
....yea, but M1 filters are good filters & $10 ain't that bad, not when your saving that much on the oil from Wally world & Acura service dept.!!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear

first timer...
oil changes at the dealership are $$$ so im trying to save myself some money
Originally Posted by sasair
29 lbf·ft (39 N·m , 4.0 kgf·m)
what tool do u use to get those numbers to plug the engine oil?

and

does anyone know the measurements for the washers?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tacca_chantieri
first timer...
oil changes at the dealership are $$$ so im trying to save myself some money

and

Just tighten it with the finger, and then follow through with a quarter turn with the wrench.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
Just tighten it with the finger, and then follow through with a quarter turn with the wrench.
Tighten it until it's tight with a combination wrench. If you are a first timer, stay away from a ratchet.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:42 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by G&V
Well, I'm a new RDX owner and am looking at doing my own oil changes down the road. Here is one little part that I found to be a great help when doing oil changes on my WRX:

Fumoto Valve - http://www.fumotousa.com/

It's a valve that lets you adjust the flow out of the drain pan... no more mess's! Also, not to worry - It's well designed in a way that a rock or debris cannot open the valve up while driving.

Has anybody done this to their RDX yet? I haven't been under the vehicle yet, but the site lists only two different Acura applications: 4 cyl and 6 cyl. Now, I know next to nothing about Honda engines, so would our turbo 4 cyl engine fit into the "normal" 4 cyl category? Also for those that have done the oil changes, will it need the adapter for recessed drain plug configurations?
I used one on my 3rd gen RX7 a few years ago. I forgot about it for the RDX. Thanks. It was schweeet!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Torque wrench.

I don't know the measurements off hand, but don't try to use a normal washer that you'd buy in a hardware store. It is a crush washer designed to crush and seal when tightened made specifically for this application.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sasair
Torque wrench.
If you need a torque wrench to prevent you from under/over tightening the drain plug during an engine oil change, you probably shouldn't be touching it.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
If you need a torque wrench to prevent you from under/over tightening the drain plug during an engine oil change, you probably shouldn't be touching it.
True true, but since it is a first time oil changer, never can be too sure! Plus it'll give him the right feel for it in the future if he doesn't have a torque wrench available. I'm sure most of us know what can go wrong the first time we try anything on a vehicle....
Old 04-03-2008, 09:18 AM
2nd Gear

thnx for the help guys. im planning on going to a local acura dealer to get some washers for the rdx and i'll consider buying the torque wrench
Old 04-07-2008, 09:04 AM
10th Gear

i was looking into doing my own oil change and went to walmart to buy the filter but they ran out was wondering if anyone knows if you can use another filter...was thinking of using the KNN filter. I hear they are pretty good

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...X&N=0&uts=true

dont know if this was allowed instead of the mobil 1 air filter? i was also going to install the

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2382

this seemed like a good buy as well for the filter replacement.

Or

should i just try and stick with the mobil 1 filter? i did get the mobil 1 oil? Thanks for the input.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 AM
10th Gear

sorry meant oil filter for the first link then the air filter is the next link -=T
Old 04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
10th Gear

Step 1:
this step should actually be way at the top BEFORE you begin to drain the oil.

As a matter of fact, raise the dipstick and open the oil filler car before draining. This helps the car drain better and more completely...since there is an opening on both ends.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Sporty X type

I'm glad to see that my DIY oil post started such a responce & people helping others out.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Just got 5qt Mobil 1 from walmart. I noticed that the receipt does not say its Mobil 1, it just says something like "MOTOR OIL 2804903924" and price of $22+tax. It this a sufficient receipt for warranty issues (if they arise)?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

I guess you can cut the back label off and keep it.

Dude next time try pennzoil platinum (a. it actually states hto-06 certification on the bottle and b. motor sounds a lot better and feels smoother on my butt dyno)
Old 05-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mau108
I guess you can cut the back label off and keep it.

Dude next time try pennzoil platinum (a. it actually states hto-06 certification on the bottle and b. motor sounds a lot better and feels smoother on my butt dyno)
The 5qt jug I got also has HTO-6 on it. $22 is a good deal.

Yeah, just to be safe I will save the label. But I have a feeling that dealer will not give you hard time about warranty, unless of course they open up the engine and see some serious abuse of not changing oil. But better keep all paper work, you never know....
Old 05-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Getting Ready
Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

Step 6:

Step 7:

Step 8:

Step 9:

Step 10:

Step 11:

Step 12:

Step 13:

Step 14:

Step 15:

Step 16:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

Step 6:

Step 7:

Step 8:
Easier than that is to buy an oil extractor from your local NAPA or PEP BOYS and just stick the tube down the dipstick pipe and create suction and within minutes all the oil is in a container with no mess. At this point all you have to do is replace oil filter and add new oil.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by pmaggan
My last three cars were BMWs and I really do miss the BMW oil filter location. BMWs have a little canister located in the engine bay which houses the oil filter. All you have to do is remove the canister top, yank out the old filter, drop in a new one, and screw on the canister top. No mess whatsoever. Draining the oil is the same as the RDX, of course.
Same with the Benzes. Just extract the oil from top and unscrew the filter cap (also on top). I need to get a new oil extractor, my old one is busted.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

for those of you who prefer to use Honda oil filter, - don't buy OEM wrench, its too expensive ($25), I just bought one that has exact fit at PepBoys for $4, it works great
Old 07-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

just as an update/follow up

so I have had Pennzoil Platinum in the car and the OLM is down to 10% and I gotta say this oil is 100 times better then M1 based on engine noise level. Engine is purring like the day I poured PP in so the oil I'm guessing has not sheared down compared to the m1 i had in there before which probably did (noticed a drastic change in engine acoustics..I have an ear for motor noises lol, today I was sitting on my pourch listening to car motors as they drove by, note the new crv's motor is quite loud eh! do they still use the same k24?).

PP is the way to go, I suggest others that can get their hands on Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 oil to give it a try. Going to dump the oil this week sometime BTW the oil has about 6000KM on it, not the best on synthetic but not bad for turbo solution, I'm sure the oil can last at least another 2000km but I'm going by car's olm.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

you can't hear differences between oils, its all in your head
someone should do oil analysis and see if Honda is asking for too frequent oil changes... mine comes up every 3700 miles, and driving is very normal....
Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Pro

Russian: You must drive hard for it to come up every 3700? That seems a bit too frequent.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SinCity
Russian: You must drive hard for it to come up every 3700? That seems a bit too frequent.
no, its normal, my wife drives it, she gets stuck in traffic from time to time.....
Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by russianDude
you can't hear differences between oils, its all in your head
someone should do oil analysis and see if Honda is asking for too frequent oil changes... mine comes up every 3700 miles, and driving is very normal....

dude if your running m1 in your car now, try pp on your next change and then let me know.

Pay attention to your motor's sound now and then when you put in the pp.

I'm not gaining anything by promoting PP, its not only me but many others on BITOG (an oil forum) that feel the same and some of those guys are oil fanatics.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mau108
dude if your running m1 in your car now, try pp on your next change and then let me know.

Pay attention to your motor's sound now and then when you put in the pp.

I'm not gaining anything by promoting PP, its not only me but many others on BITOG (an oil forum) that feel the same and some of those guys are oil fanatics.

if penzoil is cheaper, i'll get it next time. I guess mobil 1 makes you feel special because its also factory fill..
Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by russianDude
if penzoil is cheaper, i'll get it next time. I guess mobil 1 makes you feel special because its also factory fill..

cuz exxonmobil has the $$$ to pay honda for that where as pp is putting their money towards better things :P (wild guess)

down south you guys should be getting PP for dirt cheap, as cheap as regular dino oil up here in Canada.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Advanced

XOM does not pay OEM's to use their oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...1_Brochure.pdf

PP is a very good oil, one of the only oils on the market to meet the HTO-06 spec. Amsoil only recommends their SSO for this vehicle and Valvoline won't have an oil that meets this spec until 2009. What does that tell you?

It's a common misconception that Mobil pays automakers to use their oil. XOM's flagship product is their synthetic lubricants, which range from Jet Engine oils to regular passenger car motor oils. They are not always the best, but due to the size of XOM, they can deliver very high quality lubricants on a global scale at competitive prices. Remember, XOM produces and makes many of the base oils and additives the other brands buy from XOM.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Cruisin'

On a 3 year lease I cannot justify buying a $250+ torque wrench just to change the oil. You guys must have another reason for these tools or you are planning on using them on other vehicles.

Stinks too, becuase I would enjoy changing my own oil. I used to do it on my American V-8s and know the satisfaction obtained from knowing the work was done right.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by STLBill
On a 3 year lease I cannot justify buying a $250+ torque wrench just to change the oil. You guys must have another reason for these tools or you are planning on using them on other vehicles.

Stinks too, becuase I would enjoy changing my own oil. I used to do it on my American V-8s and know the satisfaction obtained from knowing the work was done right.

you don't need a torque wrench and even if you did its only 40-50 bucks here in Canada, im sure down in the US you can grab it for dirt cheap.

How did you change your oil on your american v8? same concept for the rdx.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by STLBill

LOL, torque wrench I got for $20....

Quick Reply: DIY: Oil Change