DIY: Hidden Hitch Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which hitch: 1 1/4 or 2"

I appreciate everyone sharing their comments and questions here. I am about the purchase my RDX and need to be able to carry my bike (Specialized EPIC I am trying to grow into). I have a Thule T2 hitch mounted rack that I really like and plan to keep unless I find a better solution. My question is about the hitch and extension. Since it seems that I will need an extension (thanks to RedGSX and boulderrdx) I thought I might use an adapter to serve as an extender as well. What option would you choose:

Option #1: $146
Hidden Hitch Class II (1-1/4" x 1-1/4") $106 from etrailer.com
Hitch Adapter - extends 7" (1-1/4" to 2") $40 from etrailer.com

Option #2: $180
Hidden Hitch Class III (2" x 2") $135 from etrailer.com
Hitch Extender (HE06) extends 7" $45 from etrailer.com

The 1-1/4" hitch will be a bit less noticable, but both hitchs looks to be well hidden.

Thanks for any advice you can share.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Black RDX in N. VA.

Funny about the Hiddent Hitch - I installed mine (1 1/4") today, without too much problem [tight spaces make threading bolts a challenge]. It wasn't obvious to me (if it matters at all) which way to install the "handle nut" into the frame. Maybe I'm a DIY knucklehead, but I just went ahead and guessed the "handle" stays sticking out of the frame (hangs out of the large hole), and the nut sits on the upper side of the handle(?). Everything seems to fit tight and the Hitch looks great - meaning you can hardly see it at all

I haven't purchased the bike rack yet, but I've seen another thread showing a Saris (T-Rex?) rack that apparently clears the back of the RDX without a hitch extender....
Old 09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
I am having a kind of D-I-Y weekend...

I installed a trailer hitch made by Hidden Hitch on the RDX this weekend. I dont do a lot of towing, but needed a place for the bike rack and occasionally pull a trailer from the rental yard with a Ditch Wicth or Cement Mixer. There are 4 bolts to install and the whole thing takes 20 minutes - if you stop and get a cup of coffee.

You can wee the pics of the Acura hitch on the various websites and in addition there is a member here that has the factory piece installed on his RDX. After seeing it, I thought it stuck out much too far and the safety chain hooks and tab for the wiring harness was too large and obvious. I wanted something a little more discreet. Plus the best prices on line puts the factory hitch at about $250, and for that kind of money I can get a fully custom hitch made at hitchmasters.

I found the new Hidden Hitch at e.trailer.com and gave it a try. Complete hitch and drawbar was $105 - shipped w/ no tax !!! All you have to do is buy a ball for the drawbar. After installing it - I can tell you that I think it looks much better than the factory hitch because it sits farther underneath the vehicle. It was so tucked under there, that I had a hard time getting a good pic from the rear and had to shoot from the side.

Acura sells the wiring harness for the hitch separately for about $100, so if I want to I can still get the factory wiring and not have to hack into the car.

Question:

what's max towing for this hitch? I am getting two waverunners will i be ok?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JJog23
Question:

what's max towing for this hitch? I am getting two waverunners will i be ok?
That looks like the hidden hitch class II hitch which would tow up to 3500lbs. Hidden Hitch also makes a class III hitch for about $30 more which is rated up to 4000lbs.

That said, Acura says that the total weight of your trailer and everything it in or on it should not exceed 1500lbs. Guessing that your waverunners probably weigh about 700lbs dry, you are probably already well over that 1500lbs. with two waverunners and a trailer plus liquids and equipment.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sasair
That looks like the hidden hitch class II hitch which would tow up to 3500lbs. Hidden Hitch also makes a class III hitch for about $30 more which is rated up to 4000lbs.

That said, Acura says that the total weight of your trailer and everything it in or on it should not exceed 1500lbs. Guessing that your waverunners probably weigh about 700lbs dry, you are probably already well over that 1500lbs. with two waverunners and a trailer plus liquids and equipment.
Well that's not good. Now I have to get to single trailers and take two trips. j/k

Thanks Sasair
Old 09-19-2007, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

Hidden Hitch vs. DrawTite

I ordered the Hidden Hitch Class III hitch from eTrailers.com and they tell me it is backordered and will take 3 weeks. They have offered the DrawTite Class III hitch in its place.
Has anyone seen a DrawTite installed on an RDX?
Is it relatively 'hidden' like the Hidden Hitch?
Any drawbacks you know of?
What would you do?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bcarroll
I ordered the Hidden Hitch Class III hitch from eTrailers.com and they tell me it is backordered and will take 3 weeks. They have offered the DrawTite Class III hitch in its place.
Has anyone seen a DrawTite installed on an RDX?
Is it relatively 'hidden' like the Hidden Hitch?
Any drawbacks you know of?
What would you do?

Thanks,
Bryan
I have the DrawTite hitch on my RDX. From the photos I've seen, it is identical to the Hidden Hitch, except that DrawTite is cheaper and does not include a draw bar. If you're just using the hitch for bike racks, you do not need the draw bar.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

installed today (hiddenhitch) and the hitch comes with the ballmount (drawbar) and literally mounts 1/8 of an inch from the bumper. I bought this NOT for the bike rack ability but so that it would encourage other drivers not to park nearly as close as they might otherwise.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:39 PM
08 RDX Tech Silver/Ebony

One thing to note is that Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese are all owned by the same parent company: Cequent. They all claim to have a black powder coat finish and there really shouldn't be any difference between the three models other than brand name stickers -- at least in the same class rating.

Draw-Tite 36427
Hidden Hitch 90162
Reese 13536 and "Professional" 44584

One interesting thing is that the Curt 13536 looks nearly identical to the Cequent triplets (no idea about the Valley 82112).
Old 10-08-2007, 12:40 PM
10th Gear

Finally got my hitch - 2" Hidden Hitch and it looks very nicely 'hidden' under the bumper. As another poster suggested, I do need an extender so my Thule T2 rack doesn't touch the bad of the car when folded up. My only complaint is the extender I received has lots of play in the connection to the hitch so the bikes move around a lot more that I like while driving. I ordered the "HE06 Hitch extender - extends 7 inches" from etrailer. I also ordered an "anti rattle lock" to keep the movement down, but all that does not give much comfort when I see the bikes move around in the rear view mirror.

I plan to use the rack without the extender for now which means I can't drive it folded up. Most of the time that is fine as I can drive to my riding spot, fold it up while I ride, drive back home and remote the rack.

Any suggestions from anyone on how I can minimize the movement in the bike rack from the lose extender fitting to the hitch? Most of the movement is up-and-down. I think the 'anti-rattle lock' minimizes the side-to-side movement. Is there a better fitting extender? Do shims exist that would be easy to use and effective?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-19-2007, 09:47 PM
08 RDX Tech Silver/Ebony

OK... Every one of these aftermarket guys seem to use four mounting bolts, the same mounting holes and a tabbed nut to attach one pair of the bolts...

But one interesting thing I figured out looking at the Valley 82112 Instructions is that their Class III hitch is round, tubular and bow shaped, unlike the Cequent triplets and Curt, which all use a straight, square tube, whether it's Class II or Class III. Looks like Valley's design might stick out farther beneath the bumper -- has anyone installed this particular hitch yet? Also, might be better for those of you that don't want to use an extender bar for rack clearance.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Black RDX in N. VA.

Originally Posted by karrock
Also, might be better for those of you that don't want to use an extender bar for rack clearance.
Although the Hidden Hitch stays truly "hidden" - well under the bumper - the Saris T-Rax bike racks (http://www.rackoutfitters.com/car-ra...tch-77p911.htm) have plenty of clearance behind the rear hatch. I must also rave about their ease-of-use and convenience:
-Bikes attach quickly and securely, with locks for both the rack and bikes.
-Once assembled, rack is easy to install and remove from the hitch, and tightens nicely with a single knob.
-Rack easily swings down, allowing access to hatch.

I don't know about other systems, but I highly recommend this combination
Old 11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
3rd Gear

I just installed the Valley 2" 82112 hitch (purchased from etrailer). It was simple (not so for the wiring harness because of poor instructions). The hitch looks great. I took photos, but I can't figure out how to post them. I just joined, so I'm thinking I can't post attachments. If I figure out how to post jpg's, I'll submit them.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:09 PM
3rd Gear

I would love to see a picture of the Valley Hitch to see if it extends more. I have tried the extension on a CRV and the rack really bounced around.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:36 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by geoe3
I would love to see a picture of the Valley Hitch to see if it extends more. I have tried the extension on a CRV and the rack really bounced around.

I've got the photos, but still can't post attachments. If you know how, let me know. I would email them to you, but I don't want to post my email address on this forum (spam!).
Old 12-24-2007, 09:12 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ricksigler
I've got the photos, but still can't post attachments. If you know how, let me know. I would email them to you, but I don't want to post my email address on this forum (spam!).
I am sort of stumped on that too. In the WYSIWYG interface you can insert the URL of a picture hosted somewhere else on the web like a free hosting service. I don't do much of that. I understand the privacy issues. On other forums I have accomplished this with private messages but that feature is not turned on here for me.

Is the end of the hitch flush with the bump or is it tucked under like the hidden hitch?
Old 12-24-2007, 11:05 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by geoe3
I am sort of stumped on that too. In the WYSIWYG interface you can insert the URL of a picture hosted somewhere else on the web like a free hosting service. I don't do much of that. I understand the privacy issues. On other forums I have accomplished this with private messages but that feature is not turned on here for me.

Is the end of the hitch flush with the bump or is it tucked under like the hidden hitch?
It looks like it's about 2" in from the very back of the bumper. I'm going to see if I can contact the host and get permission to post the photos or send them to him and let him post them.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Recently installed a Hidden Hitch (1 1/4") on my RDX. Looks great, very very easy to install. I plan on only using this for bikes rather than towing which is why the smaller size was acceptable for me....plus the tow rating of the hitch still greatly outweighs the Acura rating.

I went cheap ($80 on sale) with a Performance Xport frame rack (not the bed rack in previous posts) and everything fits fine with plenty of clearance from the bumper. It's ugly, but I don't really care what the guy behind me has to look at.

Really glad I read these posts and didn't go with the factory hitch.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sl_33
Recently installed a Hidden Hitch (1 1/4") on my RDX. Looks great, very very easy to install. I plan on only using this for bikes rather than towing which is why the smaller size was acceptable for me....plus the tow rating of the hitch still greatly outweighs the Acura rating.

I went cheap ($80 on sale) with a Performance Xport frame rack (not the bed rack in previous posts) and everything fits fine with plenty of clearance from the bumper. It's ugly, but I don't really care what the guy behind me has to look at.

Really glad I read these posts and didn't go with the factory hitch.
OK I really have to ask what "very, very easy to install" really means. When it comes to adding things onto cars I am not your man. I fix basic things around the house but not 100% handy. However I do not want to pay the $600+ it costs to get the factory install hitch.

Are there holes under the bumper already there to attach the hidden hitch?
Does it involve any drilling of holes?
Do you need to do any dissamebling of parts (such as bumper) in order to get it on?

I'm just afraid of royally messing something up. I'm only going to use it for my Thule bike rack so nothing heavy but just don't want the thing to fall off as I'm going 75 down the highway.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Pro

OK I think I've found the answer to my question on the hidden hitch site. It looks pretty simple with 4 main bolts that go into pre-existing holes on the RDX. So that sounds pretty simple.

I do have one other question though. I live in a condo assoc so I park in a designated parking spot. In order to add this onto the car will I need to raise the tail-end of the car in order to get under it or can I just lay on my back and get under the car and do it that way.

The reason I ask is because I'm very close to buying an RDX and debating whether to buy factory or do it myself. I have limited resources if I need to actually raise the back of the car to attached the Hidden Hitch. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 PM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

If you purchase the hidden hitch the vehicle does not need to be raised. An average size person will slide under the back end and be able to attach the hitch.

One thing to note is the hidden hitch is a little heavy and takes some maneuvering to hold it in place while bolting. Once you get two of the bolts threaded that should be enough to hold it while you work on the other two bolts.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by grooks1
If you purchase the hidden hitch the vehicle does not need to be raised. An average size person will slide under the back end and be able to attach the hitch.

One thing to note is the hidden hitch is a little heavy and takes some maneuvering to hold it in place while bolting. Once you get two of the bolts threaded that should be enough to hold it while you work on the other two bolts.
grooks1 - Thanks for the feedback. That's the answer I was hoping for. I love this site. I don't even have an RDX yet and I've already saved about $600 from not having to get a trailer hitch factory installed.

As for the lifting of the hitch I'll start hitting the gym now so I'll be ready to install it. Or...maybe I'll just find a buddy to help me out. The whole gym thing is too much work.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Racer

The factory hitch includes the wiring harness for trailer lights. If you're never going to tow a trailer, you can probably negotiate with your dealer for half the price on the hitch only. Yes, installing the hitch yourself is pretty easy if you have good wrenches and know how to use them.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Advanced

To reiterate the other responses....the installation is pretty simple with the holes already in the frame. The Hidden Hitch isn't too heavy considering the amount of steel but it might help to have someone hold it in place if you can't handle it (I did it on my own without any problem). The only tool required is a wrench. A socket wrench would probably be easiest but I just used a regular crescent wrench to tighten the bolts.

Definitely not necessary to raise the car for installation. I am fairly big at 6'2" and was able to fit underneath and manuever around with difficulty.

The whole installation should only take 10-20 minutes so I would imagine it is something that can be done in pretty much any apartment/condo garage or driveway or whatever.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sl_33
To reiterate the other responses....the installation is pretty simple with the holes already in the frame. The Hidden Hitch isn't too heavy considering the amount of steel but it might help to have someone hold it in place if you can't handle it (I did it on my own without any problem). The only tool required is a wrench. A socket wrench would probably be easiest but I just used a regular crescent wrench to tighten the bolts.

Definitely not necessary to raise the car for installation. I am fairly big at 6'2" and was able to fit underneath and manuever around with difficulty.

The whole installation should only take 10-20 minutes so I would imagine it is something that can be done in pretty much any apartment/condo garage or driveway or whatever.
sl_33 thanks for your feedback. It really helps. And thanks to everyone else as well. I hope to get my RDX at the end of this month and I have a bunch of accessories that I'm going to buy on eBay or wherever I can get them. I look forward to doing all the touch-ups when I get the beast!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Racer

SO anyone got pics of this item installed?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by vrflyer
SO anyone got pics of this item installed?
vrflyer - you might want to go to the beginning of this thread before everyone starts yelling at you to read the post...there are plenty of pics at the beginning.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Racer

Doh!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Instructor

ok, so my hidden hitch was just delivered and it's already on the car. Installing the hitch itself is retardedly easy. Took me maybe 20 minutes and like others said, getting the first one to thread is the biggest chore.

Otherwise, the most difficult part was actually "tearing" apart the interior lining in the trunk to get at the stock adapter. That took me a good 20 minutes, but fortunately there was no real carnage to the car when all was said and done
Old 03-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JGard
ok, so my hidden hitch was just delivered and it's already on the car. Installing the hitch itself is retardedly easy. Took me maybe 20 minutes and like others said, getting the first one to thread is the biggest chore.

Otherwise, the most difficult part was actually "tearing" apart the interior lining in the trunk to get at the stock adapter. That took me a good 20 minutes, but fortunately there was no real carnage to the car when all was said and done
I'm assuming when you say 'stock adapter' that you are referring to the wiring harness? Did you attach the Acura factory harness or an aftermarket one? Thanks!
-Matt.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Instructor

I got an aftermarket harness from etrailer.com for like $60 or so. Plugs right into the car's adapter, so there's no having to do anything special to get it hooked up.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Pro

Guys - As I purchase my RDX next week I'm going to get the Hidden Hitch. I was reading the installation instructions which look pretty easy but noticed it said you need a torque wrench and gives specific measurements on how tight the bolts should be.

How important is this? Meaning, I don't have a torque wrench, just a typical wrench. If I was to use that and basically tighten it to the point where it felt good and sturdy is that ok or am I risking a lot here? How did other people handle this? Maybe it's just worth spending the $70 to get one.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

If I recall correctly, a basic torque wrench shouldn't be much more than $30 (or less?) from an auto parts store. I bought one a long time ago for doing lug nuts on my SVT Contour when I swapped wheels in the spring/fall.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Black RDX in N. VA.

Wink

Originally Posted by phoward_15
Guys - As I purchase my RDX next week I'm going to get the Hidden Hitch. I was reading the installation instructions which look pretty easy but noticed it said you need a torque wrench and gives specific measurements on how tight the bolts should be.

How important is this? Meaning, I don't have a torque wrench, just a typical wrench. If I was to use that and basically tighten it to the point where it felt good and sturdy is that ok or am I risking a lot here? How did other people handle this? Maybe it's just worth spending the $70 to get one.
Phoward - I did it with a regular wrench...maybe not scientific, but I don't see any problem. The bolts snug tight and the whole hitch fits so well that you don't need to overtighten. By the way, I'm no DIY-master either...you shouldn't have any serious trouble...just be patient and give yourself an hour for the whole operation. The guys who say "20 minutes" are either DIY wizards or not counting the prep (getting the parts out and identifying them, reading the instructions, finding the holes in the frame, finding a good position to hold the hitch while tightening, etc.). Good luck and ENJOY THE RDX - IT'S AN AWESOME RIDE!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by FitnessCC
Phoward - I did it with a regular wrench...maybe not scientific, but I don't see any problem. The bolts snug tight and the whole hitch fits so well that you don't need to overtighten. By the way, I'm no DIY-master either...you shouldn't have any serious trouble...just be patient and give yourself an hour for the whole operation. The guys who say "20 minutes" are either DIY wizards or not counting the prep (getting the parts out and identifying them, reading the instructions, finding the holes in the frame, finding a good position to hold the hitch while tightening, etc.). Good luck and ENJOY THE RDX - IT'S AN AWESOME RIDE!
FitnessCC - Thank you very much for your comments. I'm in negotiations right now. I've gotten some good quotes but not 100% satisfied so still trying. I'm hoping the end of month / end of quarter will help in the next couple days.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 AM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread here. Even had my girlfriend laughing with some of the stand-up comedy. I ordered a Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com yesterday. I chose to go with their harness over the more integrated Honda flavor since I will only need the harness for very rare trailer towing. I don't want exterior wiring and connectors exposed to the tender mercies of Ma Nature, the DOT and car washes.

Folks, thanks for all the information! Got those Xmas lites down yet, Rizzo?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 AM
G&V
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed the hitch yesterday. Looks good, very clean and tucked away.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 PM
User-approved

Dang, got mine today. That's frigging fast, considering it was free shipping. Those etrailer guys rock!
Old 04-05-2008, 02:33 PM
User-approved

Installed, piece of cake. 30 minutes total, including taking the stuff out of the cargo area to install the wiring harness, putting it all back. The hitch comes with a rubber cover for the receiver, goes on and off very easy - might want to pocket that before going through a car wash.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Racer

Thanks, this saved me a lot of time and money. I was going to install the factory hitch myself but I looked through the installation instructions and I said "this looks like something dealer should do." I was all set to spend $800 at Muller's Woodfield Acura dealer, $500 for the towing package and $300 for the harness before I saw this link.

Why would Acura make their hitch so freaking expensive and complicated to install. The Hidden Hitch was so easy to install and seems of better quality than the factory hitch. I didn't bother with the harness, I'm just using the hitch for a bike rack.

Oh yeah, etrailler is great. I got my order in less than 24 hours. Wow.

Quick Reply: DIY: Hidden Hitch Installed