Blue-ish DRL/Highbeams

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue-ish DRL/Highbeams

I'm having a tough time finding 9005's that are truely blueish in color. Anyone know which ones to buy? I tried the Sylvania SilverStars and they are the same yellowish color. I undertand the Ultras are white.

I've seen Volvo xc90's and a Volkswagon with DLRs that appear blue. I guess my next stop is those dealers, but I'm afraid they will charge dealer pricing for the bulbs, if they are even the same 9005s.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I purchased a set of the Hoen 9005 bulbs for the DRL application. I notice that on DRL wattage, the bulbs appear brownish; however, when highbeaming, the lights appear like they're suppose to be, nice and white, with a hint of blue. The fact that we do not drive with high-beams on make me want to locate another set of bulbs that will provide a light output that does not contain a hint of brown/yellow, and a white-light bluish output is preferred.

You shouldn't have to go to the dealer for this.

There's a set from PIAA that I have been looking at, but I don't feel ike spending $70 on a set of bulbs, not yet. They are referred to the GTX-Plasma, etc...
Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Racer

I hear yah. $70 is alot for bulbs. Someone has to have blue colored bulbs. I will check with the 2 dealers I mentioned. I just hope those cars didnt have their reg lights on and that was what I was seeing.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Advanced

The Volvo very well may have. As a previous Volvo owner, Volvo headlights shut off automatically when the car is turned off, so many owners, tend to just drive with their headlights on all the time.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

I actually have a set of PIAA GTX-Plasma for my RDX. Because of the DRL, it provides the same or similar output as the regular halogen. Back then, I talked to some local supplier about the bulbs and he can only think of putting a relay on the DRL to give it more power; meaning brighter and showing actual color of the bulb either white, blue, or yellow. But I told him that his idea will just change the DRL to a high beam... which is pointless.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Racer

This is odd that we cant just have the light show in a color. I guess it's the nature of the light output for DRL.

I will keep trying.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I just bought a pair of PIAA 9005 Super Plasma GT-X bulbs to replace the stock dull looking DRLs. They are suppose to give off a nice blue/purple hue while in DRL mode and super white (with a slight blue tinge) when in hi-beam mode.

Question: it says I should disconnect the negative battery cable before installation. Is this really necessary or is it just for "safety"? Have any of you that have swapped out the stock hi-beam/drl bulbs found a need to disconnect the battery?? Doesn't make sense to me as the power would be off to the socket anyway while installing.

I can understand while doing the HIDs as that's a whole different animal but this is just a simple bulb swap.

I plan to install the PIAA this weekend and will try to take some pics!!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
I just bought a pair of PIAA 9005 Super Plasma GT-X bulbs to replace the stock dull looking DRLs. They are suppose to give off a nice blue/purple hue while in DRL mode and super white (with a slight blue tinge) when in hi-beam mode.

Question: it says I should disconnect the negative battery cable before installation. Is this really necessary or is it just for "safety"? Have any of you that have swapped out the stock hi-beam/drl bulbs found a need to disconnect the battery?? Doesn't make sense to me as the power would be off to the socket anyway while installing.

I can understand while doing the HIDs as that's a whole different animal but this is just a simple bulb swap.

It's a safety issue, but i have ALWAYS changed all my halogen bulbs without having to disconnect the battery. Make sure the bulb is clean of oils after installation.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about using HID?

Will an HID conversion work with DRL? I'd love to convert to full HID.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX

That would be cool. Please do!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by max366
Will an HID conversion work with DRL? I'd love to convert to full HID.

I installed an HID conversion KIT to the high beams/drl and we couldnt' get it to work properly. By itself it starts to flicker and the only way to stop the flicker would be to turn on the low beams. Installer said it had something to do with the current/voltage (i can' t remember

Anyway, for those curious, here's a pick of LEDS on the DRL as well as hyperwhite bulbs on the DRL. I just put my yellows in but didn't take photos yet but i'll post that tonight.

LED vs Stock

Hyperwhite bulbs

Old 06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Can you please tell me where you bought the LED DRL lamp?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

scryana, the flickering happen becase DRL sends 9v of power as oppose to 12v (what HID requires). If you want to use the HID you can either add a relay to give it more power or disable DRL.

I am curious about both mods you got, LED and hyperwhite bulbs. It looks good with either of it, but how is the output on high beam?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by scryana
I installed an HID conversion KIT to the high beams/drl and we couldnt' get it to work properly. By itself it starts to flicker and the only way to stop the flicker would be to turn on the low beams. Installer said it had something to do with the current/voltage (i can' t remember

Anyway, for those curious, here's a pick of LEDS on the DRL as well as hyperwhite bulbs on the DRL. I just put my yellows in but didn't take photos yet but i'll post that tonight.

LED vs Stock

Hyperwhite bulbs

This is very nice. What model LED and how does this affect the highbeam output? I had to use the highbeams the other day, and i notice significant decrease of light output, with the Hoen bulbs, which was expected; it just made it a bit difficult to view the intended area.

Other than that, it is very nice, and i would not mind picking up a set (give me model number).

Thanks
Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Advanced

Hyper Yellow Bulbs on DRL which I just put on yesterday.

and LEDS in the fog. Some have put the LED on the DRL and yellow in the fogs ala Lexus but I opted for the opposite

Old 06-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Advanced

Hi guys. My DRLS and leds in general for my RDX have been an adventure.

Stock-> HyperWhite (blue bulb) -> HID -> LED -> HyperWhite (yellow bulb)

The hyperwhite was nice but it was a blue bulb which looked ricey so I went for HID. HID flickered so I went to LED. LEDS were great but the check bulb message came out and I didnt' want to mess around with resistors. So, I went to Hyper Yellow after getting the ideas from Lexus. The fogs I had yellow previously but I went to DRL after I turned the bulbs yellow.

So the LEDs I got off ebay (search for H11 LED for LED fogs) and it should be the 18smd LED set. I bought mine for around 49.99a pair shipped which is pricey but its pretty bright. They have a 12smd LED available as well but I opted for more LEDS. I dont' think that the LEDs are as bright as regular Halo or the PIAA light blues but they look better at night and during the day because you don't have the blue yolk.

THE HID's i forgot the model number but I only had it in my car for maybe 2 minutes becuase I couldnt' accept the flicker.

Brightness wise, with my yellows, its pretty bright, much brighter than the LEDS but I'm running 100w vs the 65w stock. I was hesitant at first but since I don't run High beams all the time, it doesn't get that hot. DRL operates at not full wattage so there's barely any heat. If you want to play it safe, buy the 65w versions of lamps but I noticed that they're not as bright as i liked.

You can also get 18SMD LEDs for the DRL/High Beam but this will trigger your check bulb error message which is why I shifted to
Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Racer

Thanks for the details and pics!

I like the blue Hyperwhites. Are the pics of those in DRL mode or highbeam? I had heard that many bulbs will look yellowish in DRL mode even if when on highbeam they are blue or white.

I googled Hyperwhite 9005 and seems liek there are several brands. Any better than others?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Advanced

I've heard different things about different bulbs. I'm going to only speak for myself but since people say they probably only last about a year with daily use , i'd buy a more economical brand (like a nokya) over an expensive one (like PIAA) since they're going to blow anyway. I'd rather buy 2 sets of bulbs and have a spare for the price of 1. But that's just me.

The only *MAJOR* concern I would have is the heat generated by the bulb and the cheap ones may be really hot and melt your harness if its turned on long. For the High beams, I really doubt there will be problems (but I'm *NOT* a pro) since I don't use High beams for more than just flashes. If you just used the bulbs for drl, there is barely any heat (I tried it. I drove around for a while then before i turned off the engine, i opened the hood and felt the harness and no heat.

For added security, you may want to buy a 9005 wire harness that prevents heat. I didnt' though, but you may want to.

That's my 2 cents.

check this out: http://www.prolightstar.com/luminics...-lt-9005f.html

and there are 65w -> 100w look or 65w -> 140w look. I'd cap out at say $25.00 a pair though since any more and you should go LED (and a resistor fix)

Last edited by scryana; 06-10-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Oh btw here's a photo of the 9005 blue bulb during the day before I took it out. It's got a slight blue egg yolk effect. See the orange light next to it and how the casing looks orange? well, from the front, it looks kinda blue-ish which is kinda ricey. I have since changed that stock amber bulb to chrome which is great since its now stealth and all clean and the only thing that's not clear/chrome is my 9005 bulb which is hyper yellow and i kinda like it that way since its always on and during the day (i'll take a pic later today to show what it looks like during the day)

what i mean by yolking

also as a reminder. having Leds will trigger your "bulb out error" on the 9005 (high beam/drl). having leds in the fog will not.

Last edited by scryana; 06-10-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: adding pics and typo
Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Advanced

also as a reminder. having Leds will trigger your "bulb out error" on the 9005 (high beam/drl). having leds in the fog will not.[/quote]

I agree Scyana: I tried LED's as DRL's and love the look...They aren't as bright, especially when I flip the "high beam" switch on, but I rarely use my brights... I just can't stand the error message on the MID every time I want to change the display or turn the car on... Does anyone know the best way to "fool" the system into thinking you have a normal bulb in there? Maybe some resistors in the system, but what size?

Also I currently have cheaper LED's in the fogs and they are not as bright as I would like them to be and almost too blue compared to my xenons... anyone put an aftermarket xenon package in for the fogs or use halogens that are pretty close in hue? Any deals out there for this kinda stuff either? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Instructor

scryana, your RDX looks soo sick, any pics of the whole car ?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ucsmfu
scryana, your RDX looks soo sick, any pics of the whole car ?
I found this link from his sig lol http://picasaweb.google.com/acurardxturbo
Old 05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Instructor

if you buy 9v leds for the 9005's will you still have the error message?