3M Protective Film

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3M Protective Film

Hi all,

I've searched the forum regarding 3M protective films (clear bra) and have decided that I should probably get one since the roads in the GTA/Ontario are pretty crappy when it comes to winter. I tried performing a quick search on places people recommend on going to get this application done but have come up with nothing.

If anyone can recommend a place within the GTA it would be greatly appreciated. Also if there are certain brands that I should take in consideration or stay clear of please feel free to share.

Cheers!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
I’ve had 3M protective film on my TSX since May/06 on the front hood, bumper, fog, headlights and side mirrors. The place I used in New Mexico had a large roll and they custom fit (compared to a kit). This came in handy because I had the OEM A-spec kit on the front bumper and a non A-spec pre-cut kit would not have worked as well. I did the headlights because I was worried about rock strikes; but, the 3M film protected the HID against UV hazing. I did the same custom fit protection for my 08 RDX with the OEM front spoiler. I also had them put a 4 inch wide strip on the full length of the bottom of the hatchback where my hand touches on the outside when I close the hatch. I figured a little extra protection when the hatch of the RDX is dusty/dirty.

I did have a problem with my 3M film on my TSX starting to haze after 4 ½ years from UV. You did not notice it as much on the painted parts; mostly the headlights were starting to haze over slightly. There was a 5 year warranty and I took it back to the installer and they replaced everything; no questioned asked. That is when I noticed how well the old film protected the headlights and they were crystal clear again with the replacement 3M film. They told me 3M has improved the product since my original purchase in 2006 to protect better against hazing longer. Just make sure you keep your warranty card (I keep mine in a Ziploc bag by the spare tire).
Old 03-12-2013, 03:08 PM
8th Gear

I was quoted roughly $1600 to have the entire hood done, a-pillars, mirrors, front bumper and door edges done. I know the price may be a bit different considering everything in Canada is more expensive...but does that sound like a reasonable price?

The hood and front bumper is my main concern...I'm not sure if I'm going overboard or if I'm missing key parts of the car.

First time owning a car since I've moved to the city and I generally go a little OCD when it comes to protecting my investments haha.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
I think I paid about $250 for about 12inches up the hood, front bumpers, and side mirrors. It was another $50 for the headlights and I skipped the clear bra on the RDX fogs. I think I paid $25-$35 for the strip on the hatch. I've been fine with this with our very sandy climate with hwy speeds between 65-90 mph.

My TSX with the lower height does take more rock strikes on the upper hood and front window pillars compared to my RDX. The entire hood might be overkill for the RDX.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
wow that sounds great, I cant find anybody who is willing to do it here in houston. One body shop was afraid to touch my Type R headlights.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I think I paid about $250 for about 12inches up the hood, front bumpers, and side mirrors. It was another $50 for the headlights and I skipped the clear bra on the RDX fogs. I think I paid $25-$35 for the strip on the hatch. I've been fine with this with our very sandy climate with hwy speeds between 65-90 mph.

My TSX with the lower height does take more rock strikes on the upper hood and front window pillars compared to my RDX. The entire hood might be overkill for the RDX.
Wow that seems a lot better then the pricing here. I called a couple of more shops...so far $900 is the cheapest which covers everything above minus the door edge films.

I'm not too worried about the plastic fog light surrounds since they are just plastic after all. The main reason why I'm considering wrapping the entire hood is because the previous owner (got the car CPO off a 2 year lease from the dealership) scratched the hood near the top. This scratch/chip is maybe a bit smaller than the size of a dime and it has been filled in with touchup paint. I also had the dealership look at it and make sure to address it again with the touchup paint. I'm just worried that a rock or salt will hit this spot and cause it to re-chip. Again I don't know if I'm being paranoid about this or not.

It seems that the average person just puts the film on the front 18-20" of the hood and calls it a day. Does the plastic bumper chip as easily as the metal hood?

PS. Thanks for your help by the way!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
8th Gear

Additionally, does anyone have any information of whether a plastic hood diffuser is available for models that are 2010 and up? I've only seen information/pictures of the older models.

I wonder why they stopped?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by trialsn
I was quoted roughly $1600 to have the entire hood done, a-pillars, mirrors, front bumper and door edges done... haha.
Wow, for that price you could get the car professionally touched up and buffed out in 5 years and that would cover the ENTIRE car. I have found chips all over the RDX. It's an Acura paint thing, especially black.

$1,600 is WAaaYyyyY to much.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Wow, for that price you could get the car professionally touched up and buffed out in 5 years and that would cover the ENTIRE car. I have found chips all over the RDX. It's an Acura paint thing, especially black.

$1,600 is WAaaYyyyY to much.
Remember to take in consideration that Canadian pricing is usually ridiculously inflated...but judging by the emphasism on "Waaaaaay" I should keep looking. I did get quoted a price of $900 which covers everything but the door edges.

I was thinking of just getting the problem areas done (hood, door edges and possibly front bumper). My main concern is the touch up paint not entirely protecting the metal and having some rust occur over time.

Can anyone comment on the quality of Acura's touch-up paint? is the metal under safe if I frequently cover all chips in the paint?