Wish I would have got the Tech model!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I would have got the Tech model!

I got to drive a Tech model today as a loaner car while I had something done to my RDX today.

I just loved the GPS! Oh well. My husband didn't want to spend the extra for what he considers a toy.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jiangximom
I got to drive a Tech model today as a loaner car while I had something done to my RDX today.

I just loved the GPS! Oh well. My husband didn't want to spend the extra for what he considers a toy.
Your husband is a tightwad. I would have paid the few extra bucks for you to have the tech package. I like to satisfy my women.

If you are in the market for an RDX with tech package and a man who will give to you, PM me.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by turboted
Your husband is a tightwad. I would have paid the few extra bucks for you to have the tech package. I like to satisfy my women.

If you are in the market for an RDX with tech package and a man who will give to you, PM me.
TT, I tried to PM you (about different matters) but the board said I wasn't allowed that function. I also live in Long Beach; if you could PM me the dealership you worked/price you got on the RDX tech, with that would be great!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:19 AM
B A N N E D

Try AcuraWest 101, they are giving some attractive prices on 08 RDX techs, they have loads of RDX's.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
Try AcuraWest 101, they are giving some attractive prices on 08 RDX techs, they have loads of RDX's.
Thanks a lot! I'm calling them tomorrow. I wasn't too impressed with the Acura at Cerritos Auto Center.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
honestly the tech package is awesome, but seriously I can't remember the last time I used the gps (definitely not this month), heck I don't even use the talking to the car thingy to activate options (I like touching buttons ) but do use the hfl alot.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 AM
Instructor

RDXJohnny.. just wanted to let you know that I got a great deal at Keyes (accidentally).

I was up to look at CX-7s (GF's request).. and I hated them so stopped by Keyes on Van Nuys on the way home... drove the RDX, and went back the next day to buy.

I got the following on an '08 Tech with 8 miles on it.

$34,600 (including Destination charges. Some dealers around here quote the price before destination then tack on another $700 bucks or so after they reel you in.)

This included the protection pack, with Splash Guards, a cargo protector, wheel locks, and rear hatch applique (which I don't really like, but will come in handy when stepping in to load snowboards, etc.)

They got me the 2.9% financing from HAFC, and I drove out the same day.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:00 AM
B A N N E D

$34,385 Is what you can expect from AcuraWest 101, they really have trouble moving RDX's.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Cruisin'

I used the the gps not that often. somebody who drives to different unknown places a lot has a good option.
The voice recognition makes me crazy. It's easier to push on the button than asking it 3-4 times. If you want to dail a number it than you have to be very patient.

If I could do it over again! without the tech package.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Racer

I use the GPS all the time. We like trying different restaurants and the GPS is great for finding them, and getting home again. It's also very nice on out-of-town road trips, especially in areas where highways are not well marked.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts

Get yourself a nice Garmin Nuvi GPS. They have about the same features (minus the back-uo camera) and you can take it with you in any car, or even walk with it.

1/4 of the price as well.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
Get yourself a nice Garmin Nuvi GPS. They have about the same features (minus the back-uo camera) and you can take it with you in any car, or even walk with it.

1/4 of the price as well.
And about 1/4 as reliable. People keep forgetting that in-car systems have orientation sensors, wheel speed sensors, etc....and it really helps keep the system locked on your location. I was in NYC with my brother in law a few weeks ago and he had his portable unit. It rarely kept lock because of all the tall buildings and it was utterly useless. I've used others as well, and have been less than impressed. I have yet to see my RDX lose lock. If it has, I haven't noticed it and it hasn't affected it's direction setting ability.

The portable ones are nice if you plan to rent a car or have a friend drive, but I just don't think they can compare to in car systems when it comes to reliability.

Mike
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
B A N N E D

My TomTom One XL is consistently better than ANY in dash Navi unit I've come across, its customizable which is great too. Map updates Via computer, portability to any car you want to bring it into, no chance of it lowering resale values.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Instructor

My TomTom One XL is consistently better than ANY in dash Navi unit I've come across, its customizable which is great too. Map updates Via computer, portability to any car you want to bring it into, no chance of it lowering resale values.

Yeah, especially those crappy nav units in the Mazda CX-7s.

Good thing that the Acura's navigation systems consistently get the best ratings from consumers and observers.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:25 PM
B A N N E D

Yeah, they are crappy, and I don't have one.

Acura's units may be great, but portable units are still better.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by catnippants
And about 1/4 as reliable. People keep forgetting that in-car systems have orientation sensors, wheel speed sensors, etc....and it really helps keep the system locked on your location....The portable ones are nice if you plan to rent a car or have a friend drive, but I just don't think they can compare to in car systems when it comes to reliability.

Mike
Point taken Mike, but a portable, even with it's limitations, is the next best choice for her now....and there is the portability factor, at least.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Instructor

^ both variants have advantages. I'll be big enough to say that first. I've used TomTom Go.. and XL in off-road desert races. They bounce around and come dismounted, built-in doesn't. The updating of built-in is more problematic, but not a big deal, really. When nav system interoperation like passing numbers to the HFL for dialing happens, it's light years ahead of anything that a Tom Tom can do.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 PM
B A N N E D

I have not directly compared my TomTom with an Acura Navi, but I will say this, its hard to beat a Nuvi, One of the Best on the market, I wish I would have gotten one, still might.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the advice! Which model Garmin Nuvi? There are many.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:05 PM
B A N N E D

The 660, It's pretty good(bluetooth, Mp3 player etc..) At a cost though.

I have mine mounted VIA a Kuda mount.

http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_an...007-1-471.html

If anyone else suggests a Navi unit for her, please do chime in.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
User-approved

I have a Nuvi 660, used it on my Toaster (Element), and had a 330 before that. They are great units, especially love the Nuvi for the widescreen and traffic info. The mp3 and other geegaws are gimmicks, didn't impress me. The bluetooth does work well, tho. Another really cool thing is last summer when I was in the mountains of NC, we got hungry and it gave us distance and phone numbers to area eateries. This was out of the car and on the coffee table. Excellent.

The big advantage of the Acura Navi is the inertial link to the navigation. If you're in a city with tall buildings or other solid objects that block GPS satellite access, a device like the Nuvi or 330 will get confused. This is called the canyon effect. Not fun in a strange neighborhood and dense traffic. Acura navi will let you know that the GPS link has been lost, but the map won't go all wonky because of inertial guidance.

That being said, the Nuvi is King of the Universe because of the traffic info. It supposedly exists on the Acura through an XM link, but compared to the Nuvi, it is DOA. Totally useless. Work on it, XM.

My Nuvi 660 is just sitting here longing for a new home with caring owner and has at this moment 11 months remaining on the traffic subscription. Anyone interested? Message me.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Huh? XM traffic works for me every day in L.A.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 AM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
I use the GPS all the time. We like trying different restaurants and the GPS is great for finding them, and getting home again. It's also very nice on out-of-town road trips, especially in areas where highways are not well marked.
I do that stuff too. Still learning the "language" for all the voice stuff. We originally bought a base for my wife. She found something else she and the kids liked better, so it came to me. I traded it in for the tech. Lovin' it!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Instructor

If you have a portable GPS

For those of you that have portable GPS units, please read this article on the high theft rates.

What is really noteworthy is that the thieves look for evidence you have one, like the suction cup imprints on the windshield or the empty GPS holder. They break into your car just to see if by chance you have stashed the unit somewhere inside your vehicle.

So even if you do remove the GPS and take it with you, remember to remove all visible signs that you may have one as well.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_6982246
Old 10-25-2007, 04:17 PM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah, they are crappy, and I don't have one.

Acura's units may be great, but portable units are still better.

I have both and the unit in my RDX smokes the portbale not even a close second.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:40 PM
B A N N E D

That's not the only aspect of a portable. You can't take your Acura's navigation with you, and you cannot update it Via the web, and it has no chance of lowering value, Plus the rendering on the Nuvi compared to the picture that I just recently saw is better, a touchscreen is leaps ahead of some knob as well.

As for the theft, the RDX has a center locking console, store it in there.

Some of what that article states is speculation.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for all the advice! Which model Garmin Nuvi? There are many.
Well, what would you like it to do, and how much do you want to spend?

I would recommend the 360 as it is the lowest priced 300 series that offers BlueTooth connectivity for Hands Free Link to your phone. Hands Free Link is my wife's favorite feature (of her RDX Tech) and once you use it you will appreciate it's advantages over fumbling with a phone.

The 360 lists on Garmin's site for $642.84, so you can probably get it for less at a big chain:

nüvi® 360
Part Number: 010-00538-00
Suggested Retail Price: $ 642.84 USD

Make Hands-free Calls
Talk about worry-free driving. nüvi 360 integrates Bluetooth wireless technology with a built-in microphone and speaker, so you can pair it with your compatible Bluetooth phone. Then talk hands-free through the 360 while staying focused on the road. Simply dial numbers with nüvi's touch screen keypad to make a call. To answer calls, just tap nüvi's screen and speak directly into its built-in microphone. You can also easily look up and dial numbers from your personalized phone book or from your phone’s call history log. With 1-touch dialing for points of interest (POIs), you can conveniently call ahead for reservations or information.

Navigate With Ease
nüvi 360 comes ready to go right out of the box with preloaded City Navigator® NT street maps, including a hefty points of interest database with hotels, restaurants, fuel, ATMs and more. Simply touch the color sunlight-readable screen to enter a destination, and nüvi takes you there with 2D or 3D maps and turn-by-turn voice directions. It even announces the name of exits and streets so you never have to take your eyes off the road. In addition, nüvi 360 accepts custom points of interest, such as school zones and safety cameras and lets you set proximity alerts to warn you of upcoming POIs. The European version even includes a preloaded safety camera database containing the location of safety cameras for parts of Europe.

Add Traffic Alerts
Avoid traffic jams with the addition of an optional FM TMC traffic receiver and traffic services. By adding these to your nüvi, you are notified of accidents or road construction ahead on your route. Simply touch the screen to view traffic details or recalculate your route to avoid traffic. Select nüvi 360 models also include an integrated traffic receiver and services (click versions tab to view all).

Take It With You
Like the rest of the nüvi series, nüvi 300 sports a sleek, slim design and fits comfortably in your pocket or purse. Its rechargeable lithium-ion battery makes it convenient for navigation by car or foot.

Go Beyond Navigation
Navigation is just the beginning. nüvi 360 includes many “must have” entertainment and travel tools including MP3 player, audio book player (subscription to Audible.com required), JPEG picture viewer, world travel clock with time zones, currency converter, measurement converter, calculator and more. It also comes with Garmin Lock™, an anti-theft feature, and configurable vehicle icons that let you select car-shaped graphics to show your location on the map. Optional plug-in SD cards let you add additional features to enhance your travel experience including language translation and detailed travel guides. Our SaversGuide® provides information on nearby merchants offering discounts to customize your nüvi whether you’re traveling or close to home.

nüvi 360: It's a whole nü way to travel

What's in the Box:
nüvi 360
Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America or Europe (full coverage)
Vehicle suction cup mount*
AC charger
Vehicle power cable
Dashboard disc
USB cable
Carrying case
Quick reference guide
Owner's manual on CD-ROM
Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
B A N N E D

The 660 is the best Nuvi, it's also widescreen.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 PM
User-approved

Another + for AP. My Nuvi rocks, period. It does way more than get you from A to B and avoid traffic. Last 2 times I used it:

1. Was at a Home Depot that ended up not having the item I wanted. In the parking lot I punched up other Home Depots in the area, touched to call via Bluetooth and found what I was looking for, not to mention drive directions via Nuvi.

2. Was running late for a dinner appointment with customers, had the restaurant in the Nuvi, once again touched to call and made sure they would be seated and gave my ETA based upon the Nuvi estimate.

Yes Mr Rascal the Acura Navi will do the same and there are advantages the Nuvi doesn't have and vice-versa. Here in the Heartland the Nuvi traffic alert works better than the XM link. Way better, includes construction areas, traffic slowdowns and estimated delay times. When I was in Chicago recently it suggested detour routes without my input. Sure, different networks, but also the actions of a purpose-dedicated device.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Cruisin'

Don't need the Bluetooth because I have a 2008 RDX which has it. I also have a Bluetooth headset.(bought before the RDX) I also have an Iphone, which has Google maps, so I can look up businesses and call them with one touch. Just can't do it and drive at the same time.

I would like traffic updates. Seems like the ones that do that have all the other things I don't really need.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:30 PM
User-approved

My iPhone works better with the Acura HandsFree link than the one I had before (Razr). Only 2 things bug me that I can't figure out - I can't get my voicemail to sound through the speakers and when I call a number from the iPhone, the HF link won't pick up the call until the other end picks up. I have to keep saying 'TRANSFER' and watch for the timer on the phone (distracting!!) to start and then 'TRANSFER' again!

The Nuvi at least picked up outgoing calls from my phone on the get-go.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Instructor

Construction, slowdowns, traffic flow rates, weather... sounds familiar... and I can hear it, because my integrated system mutes my stereo automatically to issue turn-by-turn and incident descriptions (construction, accidents, slowdowns, weather.)
Old 10-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ACURascal
Construction, slowdowns, traffic flow rates, weather... sounds familiar... and I can hear it, because my integrated system mutes my stereo automatically to issue turn-by-turn and incident descriptions (construction, accidents, slowdowns, weather.)
What kind of weather are you getting on your RDX nav?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

It's included as an "incident" type in the XM NavTraffic offering. It's not the WX comprehensive package offered by XM, but it provides weather that influences traffic flow as an "incident" icon.

My only experience with this icon (since the sun shines in Los Angeles year-round) was recently when traveling on the 405 northbound (to my dealer). The number one lane northbound was flooded with standing water. The "weather incident" icon appeared on the display (see page 21 of the 2008 Navigation Users' Manual), and the detail page described "lane flooded, proceed with caution" (or something similar.)
Old 10-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Appears that incidents that influence traffic flow aren't the only thing for which weather incident icons appear.

Just talked to a friend who also just bought an '08 Tech. He says that during the recent high Santa Ana winds in and around the high desert of Southern California, he encountered a "weather incident" icon on the I-15N advising of dangerous high wind conditions, and there was no impediment to traffic flow -- just a dangerous weather condition.

then, there's this, from Honda of America press release:

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4241

Real-Time Traffic Information

The navigation screen can display up-to-the-minute traffic information including flow (traffic speed where available), accidents, incident, construction and weather on freeways in 76 major metropolitan areas-an increase of 32 metro areas for 2008. The information is aggregated by NAVTEQ™ from multiple sources including police and highway patrol accident reports and transportation departments and then transmitted by XM® Satellite Radio satellites to the RDX where it is graphically displayed on the navigation system.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Instructor

See the following:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8122#post28122
Old 10-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Pro

Hey - I know this may sound a bit confrontational, but I really am curious. It seems like this discussion has gone the way of 'mine is better than yours'. How many of the folks voting for the portable units actually own and live with an RDX with Nav? It's the side by side comparison of living with the units that I'd be interested in hearing...

Mike
Old 10-27-2007, 01:01 PM
User-approved

Originally Posted by catnippants
Hey - I know this may sound a bit confrontational, but I really am curious. It seems like this discussion has gone the way of 'mine is better than yours'. How many of the folks voting for the portable units actually own and live with an RDX with Nav? It's the side by side comparison of living with the units that I'd be interested in hearing...

Mike
Me. I've lived with Honda/Acura navi since 2003. I also own a Garmin Nuvi 660. As I said earlier, they're both great systems. I prefer an in-car system and the 08 RDX navi is the best yet. Compared to other brands, Garmin rocks. If I use another vehicle without a nav system, Garmin is the choice for me.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:34 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i bought my gf a garmin c550, and the acura actually posted the better routes that we would normally take. portability is nice, but the in dash screen is much bigger, and the traffic works very well in the acura, where the garmin is touchy. i just wish they would expand the traffic coverage. either way now having had a gps, i dont think i would ever own anothe car without at least a portable unit!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Instructor

I've used Garmin nuvi (650, i think, it's out in the garage), and the TomTom (it broke when it busted off the mount and flew against the dashboard (ok, I was off-road)), and the Garmin rino (several models from the series of handheld Garmin units). All of the units have advantages, but for use in a vehicle, in my opinion, you can't beat a unit built-in and designed to work with the other audio/visual/comm units in-vehicle.

Quick Reply: Wish I would have got the Tech model!