Upgrading stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Upgrading stereo system

I have been searching the interwebs high and low for information on upgrading the stereo system in the RDX, and have found nothing.

so I have taken it upon myself to piece together the little bits of information out there, along with communication with a local tuning shop that is willing to take on the task of doing the labor, to upgrade the system.
This will not involve an upgrade to the head unit.
The following will be done:
upgrade front door components to JL audio zr650 component system
upgrade rear door 6.5" speakers to JL audio tr650 coaxials
upgrade 8" sub to Rockford fosgate punch shallow series
audiocontrol LCQ-1 line converter & EQ
rockford fosgate prime series 5 channel 600 watt amp

due to the Rdx having a factory amp, and no rca outputs from the radio, a line converter is needed to convert the speaker line level output from the radio then boost the signal to rca level outs that run to the amp. The tuning shop also recommended an EQ to further clean up the signal and really drive the JL ZR components properly, the audiocontrol unit serves both these functions. The LCQ-1 is a 6 channel unit, and channels 5/6 are easily bridged for subwoofer channel. Out of this we go to the Rockford fosgate prime series 5 channel amplifier. I had my heart set on the JL audio xd600, but the fosgate amp ranked 3 on a top ten list of high quality amps (the JL was number one). So I figured I would step down for a third of the price. Most likely my ears won't know the difference. Anyway the RF is 4 channels @ 75watts each, with a separate sub channel at 300watts. It is my understanding that with a small amount of modification, the fosgate 8" shallow sub will fit, and function properly, in the space of the current factory sub.

So what's gonna happen is the installer will cut the speaker output wires right after the amp, run those to the LCQ-1, rcas out to the amp, then run speaker wires back to the other ends of the original factory speaker wires to power the speakers.

I have two issues. First, I would like further suggestions or input about the processes and experiences others have had with updating the factory stereo system.
Second, I am not sure where to mount the LCQ-1 EQ and the fosgate amp. I was thinking to put the amp in the spare tire well. The installer recommended to put the LCQ-1 there as well. But that makes it hard to EQ when you are sitting in the drivers seat, as well as how do you EQ the system when the unit is 10 feet away. Or if you want to make changes, you have to pop the trunk, adjust, shut the hatch & then sit back down, see how it sounds, then adjust again. No fun in the winter. But just thinking about the amp in the trunk, that's a lot of wire to run. I would like suggestions. And I hesitate to put the amp under the seat, as both seats have heat ducts that would blow right on the amp.

I will update once the install is done, with pics if I have the access.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:57 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year RDX are you doing this to? Does it have the Tech package? I recently bought an 08 RDX with tech and have been searching for upgrade options as well. Too bad they can't install the LCQ before the factory amp and bypass that all together. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about this as you proceed.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mslate
What year RDX are you doing this to? Does it have the Tech package? I recently bought an 08 RDX with tech and have been searching for upgrade options as well. Too bad they can't install the LCQ before the factory amp and bypass that all together. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about this as you proceed.
hello! I have a 2012 rdx with tech package. From further information gathering, you do need to make the cut AFTER the factory amp. I am fine with this, as I still hope that the center dash channel, and the speakers behind the rear seat passengers ears, continue to work and provide supplemental sound.
I am still struggling as to where to mount both units. I did some exploring yesterday and the LCQ-1 could fit under the console (in with some of the other covered electronics. And, the amp I have would fit inside the console. But, can the installer do this with minimal damage, as well as making it convienent to access and still out of the way.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Looking forward to the story...
Old 09-07-2017, 05:17 AM
8th Gear

Looks like you could use this and not have to use the factory amp or the AC LCQ-1...

FiX-86 - Car Audio - Processors - OEM Integration - JL Audio

This might be the direction I go when the time comes.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:57 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Looks like you could use this and not have to use the factory amp or the AC LCQ-1...

Oh crap....That is way cool
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Instructor

thats sharp. The shop I am using uses the JL Audio cleansweep and believe it's a very high quality unit. I like the feature that you do not have to cut speaker wires; you just plug in plugs to this unit.

I still do not know where to mount my amp and LCQ-1. Looks like the amp will go in the spare tire well. But I would like the LCQ-1 mounted up front somewhere I could access it from the drivers seat for frequent tuning. The glove compartment box? The slot in the door? The center console? 24 hours to go and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:15 AM
8th Gear

Do you really think it's something you will access a lot (the LCQ-1)? Or is it something that will be accessed for initial tuning, and then left alone? I'd think a remote gain control for the sub would be something that would need occasional adjustment.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Hello everyone. I did not get anything installed except the sub. The install shop at first told me they did not have the wiring diagrams for my tech car and that it would be twice as long and twice the cost to do the work. It only took me looking at the bottom of the wiring sheet he handed to me to see that he was only reading the tp portion; the bottom of the sheet had information on the tech model.
This made me nervous and I immediately canceled the work. And just before this the technician had pulled up another car & said "I am working on both cars at the same time". No he was not. I then requested that he install the sub only.
I will say that switching out subs has removed some midrange sound. Kick drum and low end are nice and sharp and tight. but it sounds like there is some beefiness missing from the lower end of the rock music. Almost like the sound is scooped (it's a metal thing; u take out the mids and have just lows and highs in your music).
i also don't recommend you go to the install company I went to. Pm me if you would like the name to avoid them.
thanks everyone.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
man that is so unfortunate about your stereo install. I was looking forward to seeing the outcome of all your research. hopefully you can find another shop who knows what they are doing. best of luck!