TL v. RDX tech package

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TL v. RDX tech package

I was in my friends 09 TL (Tech package) and noticed that his Nav system looked a little sharper than my 2010 RDX. Plus his bluetooth showed the incoming phone number on the screen instead of the dash display of the RDX.

Did the 09 TL come with a newer more updated system than the 10 RDX?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MPBRDX
Did the 09 TL come with a newer more updated system than the 10 RDX?
Thanks
Yes, considerably more advanced on the TL. Even now, a 2009 TL has a better system than a 2012 RDX. In 2013, the RDX will be upgraded ... a total redesign, not just the navigation and display.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaJim
Yes, considerably more advanced on the TL. Even now, a 2009 TL has a better system than a 2012 RDX. In 2013, the RDX will be upgraded ... a total redesign, not just the navigation and display.

Boy that really sucks for us RDX owners.

I feel like Acura threw a at us.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Absolutely annoying when navigating through the map and having to look for the street names because they are stationary. If the new system improves on this issue I will def do a navy upgrade, if possible.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
just to chime in here; i have a 12 TL w/tech and had a RDX loaner w/tech..and man that nav sucks.. the whole interface sucks. looks like old school kids technology.. besides the grainy map with the bad text rendering, the whole menu system looks like its' from the 90's.. i dont understand; why wouldnt acura use the better tech from the TL since it already has it??
Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think since Acura puts their models on a rotating redesign schedule where usually 2 models won't get a complete redesign in the same year, it allows them to keep pioneering technology for their entire lineup.

Example:
Instead of diverting resources to getting the 2009 TL navi into the 2009-2012 RDX, they can keep pushing for the complete 2013 RDX overhaul. They designed that navi to be a good for years to come(1) so they can work on something else for now, and stick that navi into the new RDX (or whatever model) when it's redesign is scheduled.

Another example of this is the 6AT with double downshift capability. It came out in the 2010 MDX, but it wasn't until 2012 that the TL got it. Now as far as I know, the 2009-2012 TL have the same 3.5L and 3.7L motors, respectively, so the transmission had to be pretty easy to swap in and out. That doesn't take into account the ECU upgrades/modifications that had to be done to make use of the 6th gear, and the double downshifting.

In general, I think they do offset scheduling so that they can divert resources to keeping up with and passing the curve as well making sure the technology they release actually works. i.e. Instead of coming out with a 3-D (joking) navi system, let's make a normal, good looking navi system really dependable and easy to use. Honda/Acura usually put a lot of thought into their products, in my opinion.

(1) Now that Honda has showcased their in-car entertainment system with apps and whatnot, this may not be the case, but who knows, it COULD be that their new navi has a higher resolution screen to support this new entertainment system and they'll (behind the scenes) be using the same hardware with new firmware when the time comes.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
That's one of looking at it I guess. I see it a different way. Honda/Acura is a mess. They keep using the reliability excuse to keep using old tech. Seriously; your still using 5 spd autos in the all new crv?? Most manufacturers are now using 7 and 8 spds and they're plenty reliable. No direct injection, only one turbo engine, etc; they're behind the times. That's one thing. The bigger issue is the chaos between models. For example; the mdx doesn't get a push button start but the tl does? Why? They have a great nav system that the tl uses; there is no excuse why it's not being used in all their cars. Wtf is up with the RL?? That car is an embarrassment. They're a mess and they really need to up their game; since the whole reliability thing is not going too well either; as most other cars are just as if not more reliable.

Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
I think since Acura puts their models on a rotating redesign schedule where usually 2 models won't get a complete redesign in the same year, it allows them to keep pioneering technology for their entire lineup.

Example:
Instead of diverting resources to getting the 2009 TL navi into the 2009-2012 RDX, they can keep pushing for the complete 2013 RDX overhaul. They designed that navi to be a good for years to come(1) so they can work on something else for now, and stick that navi into the new RDX (or whatever model) when it's redesign is scheduled.

Another example of this is the 6AT with double downshift capability. It came out in the 2010 MDX, but it wasn't until 2012 that the TL got it. Now as far as I know, the 2009-2012 TL have the same 3.5L and 3.7L motors, respectively, so the transmission had to be pretty easy to swap in and out. That doesn't take into account the ECU upgrades/modifications that had to be done to make use of the 6th gear, and the double downshifting.

In general, I think they do offset scheduling so that they can divert resources to keeping up with and passing the curve as well making sure the technology they release actually works. i.e. Instead of coming out with a 3-D (joking) navi system, let's make a normal, good looking navi system really dependable and easy to use. Honda/Acura usually put a lot of thought into their products, in my opinion.

(1) Now that Honda has showcased their in-car entertainment system with apps and whatnot, this may not be the case, but who knows, it COULD be that their new navi has a higher resolution screen to support this new entertainment system and they'll (behind the scenes) be using the same hardware with new firmware when the time comes.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^^Couldn't agree more.

Besides the cheap TFL screen in the RDX, Acura used different manufacture for the NAV units in the TL and RDX Hence the difference in quality.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 01-15-2012 at 10:19 AM.