AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RDX Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-159/)
-   -   Subwoofer install write up (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-159/subwoofer-install-write-up-833925/)

MarcusRDX 09-26-2011 10:36 AM

Subwoofer install write up

Im thinkin about doin a aftermarket subwoofer install write up. anybody interested?

ansabin 09-26-2011 10:53 AM

Are you replacing the OEM one or adding a new one? I would be interested either way.

MarcusRDX 09-26-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ansabin (Post 13258372)
Are you replacing the OEM one or adding a new one? I would be interested either way.

This is what i got.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...79729287_n.jpg

But one person is good enough for me. ill work on it :)

MarcusRDX 09-26-2011 01:38 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Okay, Here we go.
This takes some knowledge of car audio to do.

First-Wire your power line to the battery
Attachment 51970

Next, your gonna want to wire your remote/accessory line. this is what tells the amp to turn on. I wired mine straight to the fuse box under the steering wheel.
Attachment 51971

tuck all your wires and make everything look clean...
Attachment 51972

now the hardest part is the work in the trunk. pull everything out so your looking at your spare tire
Attachment 51973

Remove the black styrofoam thing from the right of the tire and unscrew both of these on either side of the stock sub panel
Attachment 51974

your not gonna be able to get the stock sub panel completely off but you can lift it up from the bottom to reveal the sub and the wires we need to tap for the rca cables
Attachment 51975

to the left of the stock sub are some wires your gonna have to splice and test with any extra speaker you got laying around to find the right "setup" its fairly easy. just kinda awkward to do with the panel hanging over it. sorry i couldnt get a clear pic but once you see it, youll know what your doing
Attachment 51976

Now you need an adjustable line output converter. connect this to the wires you just used to splice into the stock sub.
Attachment 51977
Attachment 51978

now connect your rca cable to it. thats the hardest part. done. carefully put your baby back together :) i kept the converter down in the tire compartment (clean).
drill your ground cable into any metal in the tire compartment. Heres where i put mine.
Attachment 51979

Finish puting your trunk back together and leave your wires out like this. (for an extra clean job, tape em up with electrical tape)
Attachment 51980

And your set :) im gonna go ahead and assume that you know how to hook up the amp...
Attachment 51981

My car computer :)
Attachment 51982

Any and all feedback appreciated

MarcusRDX 09-26-2011 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The setups ive had in my rdx
Attachment 51968

Attachment 51969

windowlickingood 09-26-2011 11:40 PM

that has to be the biggest hack job i have ever seen. whats up with the ground dude? are you really anchoring that with just the strand? and you didnt even clear off any paint.. and the remote wire... really? not to mention the weak ass crimps you have going to the line out. dude please delete these pictures as you have no idea what you are doing.

silverbullitt 09-27-2011 12:26 AM

really ? you think thats a good job? hack job indeed- flea market hack job- c'mon- really ????

windowlickingood 09-27-2011 12:38 AM

hahah ive seen better jobs come out of a flea market even.

windowlickingood 09-27-2011 07:25 PM

Can a mod move or delete this thread as the instructions herein are not of proper installation techniques. The way this is put is actually a fire hazard and or potentialy damaging to equipment.
I don't get how you spend all this money on a car only to cheap out on anything you do to it.

And when I get around to redoing the system in my RDX, I will post up a proper how-to install. Anyone reading this thread should not follow these instructions.

And if the op comes to say that he has never had a problem, well he will sooner or later.

MarcusRDX 09-28-2011 07:35 AM

I dont understand how this is a hack job... all wires are hidden and everything works perfectly. im not putting a gun to your head telling you to do this. why are the people on this forum so negative? i found a way to install aftermarket subwoofers without doing any permanent mods to the car.

windowlickingood 09-28-2011 02:27 PM

Being a hack has nothing to do on how you hide wires but more of how you are connecting them and the different gauges and not using the proper grounding and the way you did the remote. Anyone that follows this should have a gun put to their head and being permanent isn't the issue if you are not doing it right. Everything you did already can be removed from the car. And why ask for all feedback if you can't take the heat? Dude grow some balls and seriously take this shit down as you have no idea on how to install car audio properly

windowlickingood 09-28-2011 06:30 PM

here is a nice video of a similar install to yours, as you can see, the ground is arcing. which im sure your ground will be doing. and hence why im saying its a fire hazard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucjvn...eature=related

fact of the matter that you have strands of wire hanging out all over the place on your ground and the inline converter, makes it a hack install. also if you are not even using any connectors on your power wire or your ground with it crimped/soldered properly, they are going to either fall out or come out just enough to start arcing on what ever its attached to or leaning up against

the ground at the very least should look like this

http://gallery.8thcivic.com/albums/audio/wi11.jpg

rohit. 09-29-2011 11:02 AM

I have a custom enclosure in mine! i'll upload some pics soon.

windowlickingood 09-29-2011 06:36 PM

Post it in the other forum not this thread

chipa66 04-13-2012 03:03 PM

Can anyone tell me exactly what's behind the stock sub? I know it's suppose to be some sort of enclosure but I haven't been able to find any more details. From the looks of the paper woofer in the photo, I'm guessing it may be some sort of simple baffle. I'd like to drop in a shallow mount aftermarket sub but I don't want to have to spend a lot to make a custom enclosure. If it is just a simple baffle, maybe I could fiberglass it to make it more substantial. Any thoughts or other ideas? I want to retain the stock appearance and do not want any type of external box to house a sub. Thanks.

OA5599 04-13-2012 04:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
this is what's behind my 2011 Tech Subwoofer panel.

you need to remove a few trim pieces to pull that Subwoofer panel - simple stuff

chipa66 04-13-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by OA5599 (Post 13701107)
this is what's behind my 2011 Tech Subwoofer panel.

you need to remove a few trim pieces to pull that Subwoofer panel - simple stuff

Hey, thanks man - much appreciated. Did you end up replacing the stock sub?I've read that it's listed as an 8 inch but others say it's closer to 10.

OA5599 04-15-2012 06:38 PM

- had the panel open to install Subwoofer Bars -

still using the stock Sub . it Thumps out the bass when its adjusted.

when it Blows I'll be checking your POLK install

wspy 04-16-2012 05:56 AM

^ What are 'subwoofer bars'?

OA5599 04-17-2012 01:58 AM

there's a pic in my album

matthewk323 04-17-2012 08:06 PM

What do you mean by 'adjusted'? Is there a way to get more bass out of the stock sub?

OA5599 05-07-2012 01:26 AM

I adjusted the stock Tech Sub by covering the exterior body panels behind
and around the Sub , the interior trim panel and completely wrapping the Sub enclosure front and back with a mixture of Dynamat , Xtreme DynaPad and 1/2" Dynaliner .

It gives the Sub much more pronounced punch and slam

tho2k 05-09-2012 04:14 PM

How do you run the power cable through firewall? Please could you help me out?

ironryder 11-16-2013 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by tho2k (Post 13764701)
How do you run the power cable through firewall? Please could you help me out?

I found an other tread that you can run your power cable though a gormet by the peddles.
What I like to know is if there is a better way to connect for the remote wire other than to the fuse...maybe some of the "non hack job" guys would know.Or you guys just know how to point out a hack job but don't know how to do a good job?
Maybe the "non hack job" guys can do a write up on how to do a pro install?

TheWrench116 12-25-2013 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by MarcusRDX (Post 13262967)
I dont understand how this is a hack job... all wires are hidden and everything works perfectly. im not putting a gun to your head telling you to do this. why are the people on this forum so negative? i found a way to install aftermarket subwoofers without doing any permanent mods to the car.

ITS A HACK JOB IN THE WAY THAT YOU CONECTED THINGS. if it were my install I would solder and shrink wrap the signal voltage, I would remove paint in order to ground the amp, the turn on lead would come from the factory turn on for the factory amp if possible if not an auto on line out converter, there would be a ring terminal on the positive hookup from the battery and the ground to the chassis, and given the electrical issues that this car is prone to I would have at least a 2 farad capacitor in those two setups.

I will take pics and do a proper write up when I get home from Afghanistan.

dmaxv8 01-17-2014 07:48 PM

does anyone have a pic or know what to unplug under the center consol to turn off the active noise unit that sends the siginal to the factory sub. im hooking up a new amp & sub this week end

dmaxv8 01-18-2014 07:13 PM

never mind I found the plug that goes to the active noise unit . just finished my install hopefully I don't get classified as a hack.https://acurazine.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif I would post some pics but every file I have is to large for this site sorry I don't have a 1 mp camera

dmaxv8 02-02-2014 09:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
pic of sub install & noise canceling unit under center consol

wspy 02-05-2014 06:43 AM

dmaxv8 - We'd love a description of your installation dude ;)

KenB350z 02-08-2015 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by dmaxv8 (Post 14859134)

Oh ok, now I'm getting some Ideas! I wonder if I can fit a JL audio 8w7 in there.

Gilbert 10-01-2015 06:20 PM

Help

Originally Posted by dmaxv8 (Post 14859134)

I can't figure out witch wires from the stock harnes is what I ran all wires all is good just no sound or it goes out I have a loc but not share if I wired it right

ljcolomacks 05-29-2017 06:50 PM

Thanks for the Post! Will be doing the same setup in mine. Obviously there isn't much after market audio equipment for the RDX. Good to know there is an easy way to add a sub as the stock speakers aren't bad at all.

macdonjh 01-04-2018 07:15 PM

OK, time to revive this thread, just for me. :yum:

A friend just bought a 2017 RDX. The factory sub is poor at best. We took the cargo bay apart and did some measurements. The driver is indeed 8". Mounting depth is 4-1/2", sorry, JL Audio W7 drivers need not apply. The "enclosure" is a really weirdly shaped plastic box with an itty-bitty port that I can't imagine does any good. Seems like lots of bass energy is lost to flexing of the plastc box.

Cudos to OA5599 for wrapping the "enclosure". Any report about if it did any good?

Can any one report about the best way to get a properly sized power wire through the fire wall?

We're pretty sure the factory amp is in the center console in front of the shifter. Any confirmation? Has anyone figured out the pin-out of the harnesses connected to the amp? Better yet, found a wiring diagram? Finally, does anyone know the power output of the factory amp?

Tomtwtwtw 01-10-2018 01:51 PM

You may want to post this in the 2nd gen RDX thread. This is for 2007 - 2012, and I imagine there may be differences between the sub in these cars vs 2nd gen.

Stephenjp13 12-12-2018 04:11 PM

Do you need to connect your LOC to the stock sub?

Stephenjp13 12-28-2018 10:14 AM

Do you guys know the wiring diagrams? I need to know what color I need to use behind the head unit for my remote wire.

CSmoney28 01-05-2019 05:25 PM

Maybe, these can help 🤔 ...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...4a307605de.png
Subwoofer 🔊 diagram...
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...cf839e84d5.png
Audio unit 🎵 diagram...

mass978 03-12-2019 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by KenB350z (Post 15327131)
Oh ok, now I'm getting some Ideas! I wonder if I can fit a JL audio 8w7 in there.

I was wondering about this too. Anyone upgrade their sub?

CSmoney28 03-13-2019 01:57 PM

I think if you search around you can find some people that have, I personally haven’t yet myself. I actually like the stock speakers in the rdx tech package.

FlopMeister 02-13-2021 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by KenB350z (Post 15327131)

rockford fosgate has a 8 inch sub that is an easy swap. No mods needed. And it’s changeable from 2 ohm to 4 ohm. Factory is 2, but if u upgraded to an external amp, u can switch to 4 (tho you have to access the speaker again, which is a bit of a pain).