Replacing Speakers on 2010 RDX help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Speakers on 2010 RDX help

My passenger speaker is not working properly and now it sounds like the driver side is going as well. I've been looking at replacing them, I know that i need a 6.5 inch speakers for each door and since the stock speakers are 2 ohms I should stick to 4ohm speakers since i'm sticking with the stock Amp. However there are still a few questions.
- What wattage should i go with?
- How deep of a speakers should i be looking for?
- Any recommendations on speakers to make this whole process easier?

Old 09-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_003HSB....html?tp=64123

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120727....html?tp=64127

These 2 times will make installation an absolute breeze, as I used the same components when I installed my speakers.

No real depth needs to be adhered to as *most* 6.5 speakers are going to be pretty similar. Wattage you can honestly go with whatever you want since the amp isn't going to change the loudness won't change a whole lot either.

As for actual speaker selection, just do a crap ton of research. Whatever is available out there, SOMEONE has written a review on them. I personally tried to find speakers that had user reviews of having more bass since, as we all know, factory speakers are flat as hell. So it totally depends on what kind of sound you want as to what speakers you get. Crutchfield has a good selection in general and plenty of reviews so you can make your choice based off reviews and cost.

-Cheers
Shane
The following users liked this post:
Sparkles (09-11-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 12:59 AM
Cruisin'

Update:
I ended up getting 4 JBL Club 6520 speakers and they made a huge difference. Install was a bit of a pain as the speakers sit on the mount and not inside, so i had to prop the door while holding the speaker and screwing it in. a word of wise to anyone trying this, get the proper trim tools (not a bent putty knife), a telescopic magnet, and a proper flashlight.

Personally this is all I need, it's as loud as i need it and i'm not even at 20.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Cruisin'

Update 3:
So after spending some time with the JBL speakers something seemed off, some sounds in songs i was not hearing and i know they exist because i hear them from my headphones. I did some digging online and found that with the Tech package it 10 speakers, with the doors being component speakers. If i put in 2-way speakers or similar then i would need to disconnect the tweeters in the door and centre in the dash in order to utilise the speakers better or beef up the AMP. I got new speakers from Acura and put them back in and they sound much much better

So lessons learned for those looking for information
- The door speakers are 6.5 inch
- If you are replacing the speakers on a tech package, it's best to go with a proper component speakers, not 2 or 3-way speakers and you must replace the tweeters as well. This gets complicated as you need to install the cross over for it.
- If you choose not to go with component speakers you must disable the tweeters and centre speaker in the dash
- The newer OEM speakers do seem to have higher quality then the older ones
- Spend the money on a good trim tool set including one shaped like a crowbar, also get a telescopic magnet for tough to reach screws, and a stubby screw driver. A good flashlight is useful depending on lighting conditions
- Keep in mind this is all the basics, there are far more options and advanced installations that others have done such as installing a 2nd amp to power the newer speakers, to replacing it altogether. But if you don't want to go that far or spend the money, stick to OEM
Old 09-22-2018, 12:44 AM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Thanks, for the info sparkles.