Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Dennis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation System

A few questions for those with the nav system. There are some features available on aftermarket nav units (Magellan, Garmin, etc.) and I'd like to know if the RDX's system has them as well.

Can you specify a road to avoid when setting up a route?

And say you get stuck in traffic that wasn't reported by the Nav Traffic system. Can you ask the system for another route that avoids the road you're on?

Can you set "via" points? For example, can you ask for a route to point X by way of point Y?

What other flexibility do you have in setting up a route? Some systems let you select the route with the shortest distance or the shortest time, use or avoid freeways, avoid toll roads, etc.

TIA
Old 09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by schuchmn

Can you set "via" points? For example, can you ask for a route to point X by way of point Y?
if u mean if u can stop by at some other destinations before ur final destination, yea i believe i saw that in the brochoure... when i get my car ill let u know
Old 09-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know in our TL I can set it to avoid certain roads within the route list, I imagine this can do that too since its a newer system. As far as way points, I know you can set a list of destinations. However, do you basically want to pre-plan your route, enter it in, and follow it?

Mike
Old 09-06-2006, 11:41 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
The nav lets you enter up to 5 addresses. It will then set auto route to each which can be changed by you. The aftermarket units sometimes have more features. None have all of the other intergraded features of the built in unit however. Aftermarket will not integrate w/ HFL Bluetooth and let you make a handsfree call. This applies to the TL. Navi is worth it to me.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The only complaint I have with this unit(I have an RL, but it's basically the same) is that you can't go to a point by entering Latitude/Longitude coordinates.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Suzuka Master

The integrated Units from alpine(what acura uses) are some of the best on the Market. I have a roadmate 760 in my truck, and it does work well with the roof mounted antenna and hardwiring, but you don't want to do that to your RDX(the windshield mount is a joke).

Here is why I like the in car units, that acura uses FTR:
- Voice activation
- Car integration, as mentioned and rear view camera
- Shuts off front audio to tell you stuff
- Giant display
- Don't have to hide it whenever you park

Those would be the key points over my 760.

Mike
Old 09-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Dennis

Originally Posted by MR1
The nav lets you enter up to 5 addresses. It will then set auto route to each which can be changed by you. The aftermarket units sometimes have more features. None have all of the other intergraded features of the built in unit however. Aftermarket will not integrate w/ HFL Bluetooth and let you make a handsfree call. This applies to the TL. Navi is worth it to me.
There are aftermarket systems that have the bluetooth hands-free feature. Some of them are also MP3 players and eBook readers (although why I'd want those is beyond me). And the advantage of an aftermarket unit is that you can move it from car to car and take it on vacation.

But for the record, I agree with you about the Acura integrated system and have my money down on an RDX with Tech. With an aftermarket system, the dangling cords for power and a traffic receiver would really annoy me. And I haven't seen an aftermarket unit yet that responds to voice commands. That alone is worth the price because if you have to reroute for any reason, you don't have to mess with a touchscreen while you're driving.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

If you want to drill a few holes and run some wires, teh setup can be more or less neat. This is what we did in my truck:

Still, the stock units with the current Acura models are quite impressive

Mike
Old 09-07-2006, 04:08 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by schuchmn
There are aftermarket systems that have the bluetooth hands-free feature. Some of them are also MP3 players and eBook readers (although why I'd want those is beyond me). And the advantage of an aftermarket unit is that you can move it from car to car and take it on vacation.

But for the record, I agree with you about the Acura integrated system and have my money down on an RDX with Tech. With an aftermarket system, the dangling cords for power and a traffic receiver would really annoy me. And I haven't seen an aftermarket unit yet that responds to voice commands. That alone is worth the price because if you have to reroute for any reason, you don't have to mess with a touchscreen while you're driving.
I looked at some aftermarket units for our MDX which I do like to take out of town sometimes. I have a pocketpc and various laptops available as well. All of the decent aftermarket units I would consider still cost $500+. I did not feel that it was worth it to me plus you have a small screen on most of them. I think once you have the builtin unit you might get spoiled as I have. I was given a GPS unit that could be used with my laptop, too much trouble so-far.

I did consider trading in my MDX partially so I could get navi, no thanks. Currently we do it the old fashioned way when we take the X, mapquest and 3A maps. I doubt that I will purchase another car without navi.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lumpulus
The only complaint I have with this unit(I have an RL, but it's basically the same) is that you can't go to a point by entering Latitude/Longitude coordinates.
Not trying to be a dick, but when would the ability to enter a destination via Lat/Lon coordinates be useful?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lumpulus
does your RL drive on the water or something?? and the navigation disc only knows street adresses, so a place in the middle of nowhere it does not know how to get you there.

Landon
Old 12-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Racer

Anyone know if there is a simple voice command to cancel a route? As far as I can tell, you have to say "menu", and then "cancel current route" (option 1) to do it. Would be nice to do it in one step.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Acuras since 1988

Long/Lat is very useful when burying bodies, cash etc on abandoned logging roads
Old 12-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevenm
Long/Lat is very useful when burying bodies, cash etc on abandoned logging roads
In case you want to dig those bodies up in the future?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Advanced

There's a whole "sport" that I take part in where "things" are hidden by their lat/longs called geocaching. It's become a fun pastime for the whole family, so I'm one who would love it if the RDX nav would display and allow entry of lat/longs. These hides are all over the place, some in the woods some in parking lots. More information at the link.

http://www.geocaching.com/
Old 12-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ozwaldo
There's a whole "sport" that I take part in where "things" are hidden by their lat/longs called geocaching. It's become a fun pastime for the whole family, so I'm one who would love it if the RDX nav would display and allow entry of lat/longs. These hides are all over the place, some in the woods some in parking lots. More information at the link.

http://www.geocaching.com/
Well I hope you don't find Stevenm's buried bodies in your next geocache....

the RDX's current location function displays the lat/long of your current location, but it doesn't update as you move. I think the diagnostic screen does update if I remember correctly.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:48 PM
rdxsteverino

Originally Posted by Stevenm
Reminds me of that scene in Fargo when Steve Buscemi, with a hole through his cheek, buries the loot in the snow and marks it with an ice scraper - Can you say wood chipper? Great movie - eh?