MusicLink TTS Software

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MusicLink TTS Software

If I'm not mistaken, I think there is a new version of TTS software released. The last time I looked, a few weeks ago, there was a new version and I thought it was version 1.02 or something like that. Now it is a completely different version number 7, which I guess is referring to iTunes 7 compatibillity. I haven't downloaded it and tried it yet as I'm not at home, where my itunes is. Weird that the windows download is 75MB, and the mac download is 1.5MB.

The talk on the RL forum is that the "new" musiclink isn't going to be new at all, but rather just a software update. I wonder if this is it...
Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

The new version inside the zip file is version 1.1....
Old 11-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Man, I'm all messed up.

I just downloaded it and installed it and it isn't a new version. Sorry! I think think I just got all excited thinking there might be a new version...

Its still the same version they released last time which is 1.2...
Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sasair
Man, I'm all messed up.

I just downloaded it and installed it and it isn't a new version. Sorry! I think think I just got all excited thinking there might be a new version...

Its still the same version they released last time which is 1.2...
Don't worry, even if there was an update it still wouldn't be worth installing. I rather have an iPod solution were I don't have to install anything on my computer. Who ever came up with the music link solution must have been smoking crack.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SolidState
Don't worry, even if there was an update it still wouldn't be worth installing. I rather have an iPod solution were I don't have to install anything on my computer. Who ever came up with the music link solution must have been smoking crack.
Did you ever get your issues looked at or fixed in regards to what I considered to be hardware problems on your musiclink. I still haven't experienced any of those weird symptoms you were having, and I use my ipod all the time in there.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Racer

Did you ever get your issues looked at or fixed in regards to what I considered to be hardware problems on your musiclink. I still haven't experienced any of those weird symptoms you were having, and I use my ipod all the time in there.

No, I called Acura about the problem and they said they have not had any reports about skipping. I uninstalled the music link SW and deleted the files to see if that helps, becuase I remember you saying you don't use the music link SW and the problem still exist. I have not had time to have the dealer look into the problem. I was going to have them look at it when I take the RDX in for an oil change.

I think it might be getting worst but I'm not sure if it's becasue more people are calling me when I'm driving. When the HFL ends a call and return to the iPod it starts skipping. I've trained myself to press the "previous" button after each call.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:02 PM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

When the HFL ends a call and return to the iPod it starts skipping. I've trained myself to press the "previous" button after each call.
I too, am still having the same issue with skipping after a HFL call. I would not say it is everytime, but at least 75%. Sometimes I'll let the skipping go and it will stop skipping after about 10 seconds.
I still have the issue of the iPod not powering off with the car or when stwitching audio modes. If I switch from iPod to XM or FM, the iPoded will flash between pause and play and continue to advance tracks, even after turning the car off.
I am very disapointed in the MusicLink product and would/will never install the software after reading about how useless it is.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I have been using the Dension iceLink in my S2K and my wife's TSX, and it works fairly well. Sounds like I made a good decision not going with MusicLink!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I continue to use the MusicLink with a video ipod, a 4th gen ipod and a 1st gen nano, and have none of those problems. I think you guys got a bad batch. I use handfreelink all the time, the ipod pauses automatically and restarts where it left off everytime. haven't once experienced the "skipping".

But as usual, the TTS software stinks, but its manageable for me.

I'd be taking it to dealer for them to hear the skipping and other problems. It sounds as if you both can reproduce them easily. That to me is a defective hardware problem, and they should repair it or replace it. If they can't they should give you your money back or promise a new one when the new ones become available.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by flags
I too, am still having the same issue with skipping after a HFL call. I would not say it is everytime, but at least 75%. Sometimes I'll let the skipping go and it will stop skipping after about 10 seconds.
I still have the issue of the iPod not powering off with the car or when stwitching audio modes. If I switch from iPod to XM or FM, the iPoded will flash between pause and play and continue to advance tracks, even after turning the car off.
I am very disapointed in the MusicLink product and would/will never install the software after reading about how useless it is.
I feel your pain. I called acaura about it and they know nothing about it. I still have to talk to the dealer. It's not so bad when I'm by myself, but when I have people in the car and it flakes out, they mostly laugh which is embarrassing to me. It like an throw back to vinyl records.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Racer

Could if have something to do with the 5th generation iPod? I have the new 80GB video ipod. Firmware seems up to date and it's formated for windows.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Could if have something to do with the 5th generation iPod? I have the new 80GB video ipod. Firmware seems up to date and it's formated for windows.
I use a 5th gen video ipod with no problems. I don't normally use this in the car, but I have been since you told me what problems you were having with yours, and I haven't had the same problems.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:09 PM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

Mine is also the new 5th generation 80 GB video with the skipping problem. Up to date firmware & iTunes.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Just enjoying the ride!

Just thought I'd chime in.

I noticed on my 30gig video ipod after the latest firmware upgrade many of the same problems on my 06 TL.

Skipping, and not just after a HFL call. It happens when forwarding tracks.

The Music Link software pretty much stopped working all together. I have since uninstalled it. (skipping still happening.)

Ipod seems to keep playing after switching to another source or turring car off.

The Music Link is the worst piece if technology I have ever seen! I wish I could return it.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by csilano
I wish I could return it.
Take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it, replace it or give you your money back. It's not supposed to skip like that.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Racer

OK, I've just had it with the skipping. I honestly think it's getting worst. I made an appointment with the dealer to get it fixed. If they can't fix it, i'm getting a refund. I may be better off just using the AUX port, at least I can navigate my music selection.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:12 PM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

Please let us know what they tell you... Since I have the same problem, I'd like to see how helpful Acura is.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by flags
Please let us know what they tell you... Since I have the same problem, I'd like to see how helpful Acura is.
Took my car to the dealer today to get the skipping problem fixed and they told me I have to install the 1.1 TTS software to fix the problem. Sounds like BS to me. I thought you didn't need the TTS software to use the MusicLink. Did anyone else had to install in the TTS software to not get skipping?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Took my car to the dealer today to get the skipping problem fixed and they told me I have to install the 1.1 TTS software to fix the problem. Sounds like BS to me. I thought you didn't need the TTS software to use the MusicLink. Did anyone else had to install in the TTS software to not get skipping?
That is total misinformation. You do not require the TTS software to use the musiclink, only if you want to browse by playlist/artist/genre. Plus the current version of TTS I think is 1.2. I'm pretty sure the musiclink documentation states that you do not need to load the TTS software at all. I know the musiclink website says that.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Racer

That is total misinformation. You do not require the TTS software to use the musiclink, only if you want to browse by playlist/artist/genre. Plus the current version of TTS I think is 1.2. I'm pretty sure the musiclink documentation states that you do not need to load the TTS software at all. I know the musiclink website says that.
That's what I thought and that is what I told the service guy. He told me not to use the 1.2 software because of bugs.

I even told him the TTS doesn't run correctly takes 15+ minutes to sync each time I sync my iPod and I get timeout errors before it finishes. This is of course after the initial 3-4 hours to install and sync the first time.

Don't know what else to do. The musiclink is a waste of money.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's what I thought and that is what I told the service guy. He told me not to use the 1.2 software because of bugs.

I even told him the TTS doesn't run correctly takes 15+ minutes to sync each time I sync my iPod and I get timeout errors before it finishes. This is of course after the initial 3-4 hours to install and sync the first time.

Don't know what else to do. The musiclink is a waste of money.
If its convenient for you to keep going to your dealer, I'd take them the documentation that says you don't have to install TTS for the musiclink to work. Make them fix it or refund your money. I'd give acura client services a call if your dealer won't help you.

If you know anyone else with an ipod, preferably the same as yours, I'd try testing it in your vehicle. At least that might tell you if it is the ipod that your musiclink doesn't like, or if it is the musiclink that is messed. I think it is the musiclink most likely....

I am going to try out the neo adapter and see how that works in the RDX. They are supposed to be shipping me one soon. It is currently out of stock. The Neo allows you to control the ipod from the ipod, instead of locking out the controls, but still allows you to use the steering wheel controls. At least thats what they advertise. But they haven't tested one on an RDX yet....
Old 11-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Racer

Ok, I got my car back and comments from the dealer, but none of their comments make any sence. Here is what Muller's Woodfield Acura service department has to say about the skipping problem:

"CHECK I-POD LINK. WHEN GOING FROM XM OR RADIO. TO THE I-POD. THE I-POD CONTINUES TO SKIP AND WON'T STOP. VERIFIED CONCERN. CUSTOMER DOES NOT HAVE TTS DOWNLOAD ON I-POD. 5TH GENERATION I-POD NEEDS TO HAVE TTS DOWNLOADED FOR ADAPTER TO OPERATE NORMALLY. TTS VERSION 1.1 (AVAILABLE ON ACURA WEBSITE IN THE I-POD MINISITE) NEEDS TO BE DOWNLOADED AND RAN. DIRECT MINISITE: HTTP:// MUSICLINK.ACURA.COM. NOTE: DO NOT DOWNLOAD I-TUNES VERSION 7.0 AT THIS TIME. SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY IS STILL BEING CONSTRUCTED WITH I-TUNES 7.0."

First BS is I told the guy when I brought the car in I had the software installed and I still had the problem. I uninstalled the TTS software because it was crap, it took forever to sync my iPod, the TTS software would give me an error at the end of syncing and it's not needed to use the MusicLink.

Second BS is Acura wants me to not use iTune 7.0. How in the hell are you suppose to do that for a 5G ipod? I thought the 5G iPods required iTunes 7.0. Even if I did try to run a 5G iPod iTune software before 7.0 where in the hell do I download the software? The really asnwer should be don't use 5G iPods.

It's as if Acura it trying to push the blame on me. I know what they are asking me to do is a big waste of my time because if I go through the effort to install TTS 1.1 and iTunes pre 7.0, I know the thing still wont work.

Acura did a terrible job with the musiclink. Are they really going to update their software for every new version of iTunes that comes out? I don't think so.

Thanks for the help Sasair. I really appreciate it. I'm going to call Acura in the morning. I don't think it will help but it's worth a try again.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

That is really bad. You have a valid arguement there. the 5G ipods do require itunes 7 or later. so you can't really do anything about that. Even if you could get an older version of itunes, I think you'd be screwed completely because the itunes 7 library is different than the itunes 6 library so you'd likely lose all your music. or have to re-rip it all. They also tell you to download version 1.1 of TTS on the musiclink site? They only have one version of TTS on their site for download and it is version 1.2. You may have version 1.1 on the CD that came with it, but that may be version 1.0. They obviously aren't very knowledgable about the musiclink and how it works.

I'd tell them that if it requires you to run an earlier version of itunes, then that is not an option for you with your ipod and to refund your money for the musiclink since it is not compatible, and they falsely advertised that it was compatible with your ipod.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Instructor

I know it sucks, but just burn 6 MP3 CDs and leave them in your changer. Can get almost 4gigs of music in there and fixes the problem.

And I know it sucks to have to burn a new CD every time you want to tweak things a bit, but they basically cost pennies now and if you save the burn session on your computer they are pretty easy to modify.

I know it sucks when things don't come as advertised, but the lazy way out is often the best.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:39 AM

The iTunes library on your machine should be forward/backwards compatible with all iTunes versions that support the music formats you use. There shouldn't be any issues changing versions, at least as far as iTunes is concerned. The music files are maintained in a raw format, in a hierarchy of folders. Only the library (catalog) may change with iTunes version, but even that has not changed much (or at all) in recent years.

I would be interested in how the Neo kit works for you sasair. For Hondas, I believe they are the same as the iceLink I am using in my S2000, which works great in my experience. You can set it up to allow song navigation through the radio or through the iPod. I use the latter -- the iPod's scrollwheel interface is far better for navigationg songs/playlists quickly than using radio controls (at least on the S2K). But the radio controls will still allow simple forward/back/skip and volume adjustments, which is all I really want anyway. I do menu stuff on the iPod itself, and simple stuff with the radio controls. Since I use playlists, I rarely need to interact with the iPod itself while driving.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

when upgrading from itunes 6 to 7, itunes updates the library files. so those are not backward compatible, but you are correct in that the actual data files remain the same. Solidstate's main problem there though is that itunes 6 is not compatible with his 80GB video ipod.

Burning 6 CDs with MP3s on them is not a good solution. I use my ipod, which has a good 40GB of music on it, to arrange my songs in various playlists categorized by genre, artists and misc groups. Also many of my files, which were purchases on itunes are AAC protected files, and while I could convert them to mp3, I rather not have to as it would lessen the quality. While the TTS software sucks at navigating the ipod, I can manage to find the things I am looking for, but I am hoping the Neo interface will solve my navigating problems.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by c_hunter
The iTunes library on your machine should be forward/backwards compatible with all iTunes versions that support the music formats you use. There shouldn't be any issues changing versions, at least as far as iTunes is concerned. The music files are maintained in a raw format, in a hierarchy of folders. Only the library (catalog) may change with iTunes version, but even that has not changed much (or at all) in recent years.

I would be interested in how the Neo kit works for you sasair. For Hondas, I believe they are the same as the iceLink I am using in my S2000, which works great in my experience. You can set it up to allow song navigation through the radio or through the iPod. I use the latter -- the iPod's scrollwheel interface is far better for navigationg songs/playlists quickly than using radio controls (at least on the S2K). But the radio controls will still allow simple forward/back/skip and volume adjustments, which is all I really want anyway. I do menu stuff on the iPod itself, and simple stuff with the radio controls. Since I use playlists, I rarely need to interact with the iPod itself while driving.
Does the icelink works on 2002 S2000?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:03 PM

Does the icelink works on 2002 S2000?
The iceLink I have works on the 04+ S2Ks (after the restyle). Not sure about the older ones, but it would be worth checking. See www.dension.com for more info.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Acuras since 1988

They just installed MusicLink today in my new RDX.
Do you think I should install software from the CD that the dealer
gave me or do something else. I was wondering on the drive home why it wasn't working properly. Just finished reading the instructions, and saw where you have to install stuff.
Does this manual update stuff really take 4 hours??
Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sasair - what is the Neo interface you refer to? Is this something that goes along with MusicLink or can it be used without? Is this a Honda product or third party?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stevenm
They just installed MusicLink today in my new RDX.
Do you think I should install software from the CD that the dealer
gave me or do something else. I was wondering on the drive home why it wasn't working properly. Just finished reading the instructions, and saw where you have to install stuff.
Does this manual update stuff really take 4 hours??
Trust me, you don't want to install the software. It's not worth the time. The software just converts the text for all your songs and albums to speech. It doesn't do a good job and it doesn't integrate that well with iTune 7.0. I can bearly understand the speech and you still will not be able to do audio navigation. It's very frustrating to use if you have lot of artist, albums and songs. In general, the whole user experience is just a butt hole of hell.

The musiclink should work as is without the SW. Make sure you have the audio system set to 5 or 6. 5 for random album and 6 for random song.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think it depends on how you want to use the ipod in your car whether or not you install the TTS software. Don't get me wrong, the software is total crap, but if you need to navigate playlists, artists or genres, you need it. If you are happy listening to everything on your ipod randomly, then you don't need the TTS software. for me with 1000s of songs, half of which I don't want to listen to all the time, I need to be able to navigate playlists so I had to install the TTS software.

I'm not having any of the problems that solidstate is having with his musiclink setup, which is why I encourage him to take it back to the dealer to have fixed or removed. there's something wrong with the hardware I believe. I supposed it could be the ipod hardware, but at least 3 people have experienced the same problems so I doubt the ipods are to blame...

the Neo ipod adapter is a 3rd party product which would replace the musiclink. the advantage it has over the musiclink is that it does not lock out the ipod controls so you can navigate the ipod on the ipod. Can't get any better than that!
Old 11-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Acuras since 1988

I have about 4500 songs on my Ipod. I was under the impression when I ordered the link, , that basically your ipod screen would come up , and you would navigate using the control knob. I really dont want to talk to my ipod though. Its sounds so over complicated, and i would hate to somehow screw up my ipod. It's one of the coolest purchases I have ever made, I use it constantly, and it has always worked flawlessly ( the ipod). I also dont like the idea of these manual updates also. At this point I would be happy to just call up a playlist, and play it, and it is nice that it charges it up, but Maybe I'll just go back to the aux and wait until the problem is resolved..
Old 11-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Racer

I have about 4500 songs on my Ipod. I was under the impression when I ordered the link, , that basically your ipod screen would come up , and you would navigate using the control knob. I really dont want to talk to my ipod though. Its sounds so over complicated, and i would hate to somehow screw up my ipod. It's one of the coolest purchases I have ever made, I use it constantly, and it has always worked flawlessly ( the ipod). I also dont like the idea of these manual updates also. At this point I would be happy to just call up a playlist, and play it, and it is nice that it charges it up, but Maybe I'll just go back to the aux and wait until the problem is resolved..
LOL, I thought the same freaking thing, I thought the same freaking thing. When you see how well the XM, AM/FM radio and CD is integrated I, just like you assumed a similar user experience with the MusicLink. Be prepared to be very disappointed when you try to navigate using the TTS.

How much did they charge you for the MusicLink? Whatever they charged it's not worth it.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Unfortunately since the musiclink is plugged in through the CD changer plug, there is no ability for text to be transferred through that interface. That is the limitation of the head unit. Someday, instead of being plugged into the CD changer port, the head units will likely have an iPod port instead that does read all that information. In order to get kind of ability now, you'd have to go aftermarket, which really isn't an option for the RDX unless you use something like the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play which has it's own screen and control knob.

What I see as a huge let down is going to be Acura's solution to the problem. I don't think the next generation MusicLink is going to be much better. I really hope I am wrong about that.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Acuras since 1988

It was included as part of the purchase, but i'd say a couple hundred.
It took them all day to put it in, and they gave me a rental, so they aren't getting rich on the deal. Acura service has never let me down, I think i'll just sit back before i load all that voice recognition shit onto my ipod and see if they come up with something better.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you can live without TTS then definitely do not load it.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:35 PM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

I agree with the others here. Do not load the TTS software onto your iPod. I have the same problems as solidstate with the skipping, as well as the iPod not pausing/powering off with the car. A third party solution is most likely the way to go, such as the NEO sasair is looking into. Hopefully he can be our guinea pig and let us know how well it works For now, I'm content using the Musiclink and my iPod as an endless CD changer. I only have songs I like on the iPod, so I rarely skip songs.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Acuras since 1988

It took the dealer about almost a day to take off the dashboard and install the link. If it takes a dealer that long, I don't think I would attempt the operation, as that means it would take me 3 days before giving up and going to the dealer!
Old 11-24-2006, 11:45 AM

It took the dealer about almost a day to take off the dashboard and install the link. If it takes a dealer that long, I don't think I would attempt the operation, as that means it would take me 3 days before giving up and going to the dealer!

Yeah, but they are handicapped by being dealer mechanics! Seriously, it's a DIY job, suitable for anyone who has done minor car stereo work. I have no doubt you could do it better than the dealer techs....

Quick Reply: MusicLink TTS Software