i neeeeed audio answers

Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i neeeeed audio answers

So I will take most of the advice given to others and I'm going looking for myself

I've comb'd the forum for the past week or two searching out any bit of info I can find on the tech ELS system. but I haven't been able to find clear answers. couple threads that look promising, most are just interested in swapping out the sub/amp. factory speakers are starting to blow I really would like to upgrade slowly instead of dumping a ton of money into it right off the bat but unfortunately that may have to happen
I've found a few threads of someone saying in the RDX all the processing and volume happens in the source unit, however every other ELS equipped acura it looks as though processing and volume (via can-bus system) happen at the amp.

I plan on using the RF360.3 either pre or post factory amplifier, ideally before the amp I'd like to convert the paired signal wires into RCA cables and mount the rf360 right where the factory amp is. Allow the source unit, which I would not mind given the options it has (6cd dvd dolby 5.1 surround, factory integrated etc), to work as it should.

I've already ordered the electrical trouble shooting service manual, should be here this week. I'm praying that it includes all the wiring diagrams, schematics and plug pin outs.
I'm trying to source the pigtails to/from the radio (all of them in the event it still sucks I want to integrate a dvd source unit - alpine 9965/9861 or equal), pigtails to/from the factory amp. I want the pigtails so I can make up the output from the source unit converted all to rca ends (low level input to the rf360). or out of amp to high level inputs. (see below)
I will be verifying that the output from the factory source unit- should be simple enough, test voltage
voltage constant =volume controlled at amp
voltage varies = volume controlled at head unit

I am choosing the rf360 over some of the other dsp/integration units because of price, the ability to sum and assign channel input/output, "de-processing" the signal, Bluetooth streaming built in, separate gain control for master volume and sub. I've seen the earlier years had some software issues but looks like they've sorted most of it out

please, if you have anything to add, feel to. This will be a slowish process but I will keep it all as updated as I can
Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 AM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
would be interesting in the install process.. keep people up to date with photos and such =)
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yah, definitely keep us posted with installment; pictures would be fantastic!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok i am interested, lol. Keep us posted
Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

I warned you updates would be slow lol
got the electrical trouble shooting manual, I'm trying to compile everything that goes to/through the radio (a lot). They have a couple nice simple block diagrams for other systems but not the radio.
Off of memory, tech package definitely has the "ELS DATA" connection from the radio to the amp found in every other els equipped Acura. To this point I believe mercman (on here but in tsx forum iirc) is the only person who has successfully created a preamp adapter which is completely over my head as far as what hardware to use for integration, programming,etc. If its a "universal" rs485/232 it would be a whole lot simpler as the ground work would already be done, programming would just be needed.
Tech package front woofers and tweeter are on single channel of amplifier (front left channel powers woofer and tweeter, front right channel powers woofer and tweeter)
Non-tech amplifier powers woofers and tweeters separately and also powers the subwoofer (no additional amp in sub enclosure)
Old 05-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

After some more digging, a CAN adapter may be viable , it is just a device I am unfamiliar with
Old 05-25-2014, 11:42 PM
Intermediate

been slacking on the oem integration, however it may have paid off

i shifted focus to subwoofer box, my significant other drives this most of the time and it is our main "family" vehicle so i needed to keep cargo space as much as possible and protect whatever i put in sooo- spare tire well enclosure, ported of course. i figured if we take it on vacation i can just toss the spare back in the cargo area and roll out:

Old 05-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Intermediate

oem integration-

i stumbled upon a few threads showing TL owners with aftermarket headunits and are installing a 68ohm resistor across the audio bus+/- and it has allowed them to retain factory nav and backup camera, they do however lose HFL, bluetooth, and nav prompts.
HFL- i only recently started using for dialing calls i input a few of my most used contacts, kinda a pain in the ass most of the time.
bluetooth-most aftermarket headunits have built in or optional module, and i can get bluetooth streaming
nav prompts- annoyed me, i set them to minimal and we rarely input address, it is nice to have map there tho.
and obviously xm/sirius gone but same line as bluetooth, every headunit is ready for it.

I'll be picking up some resistors to give it a whirl, from what ive seen the top center display also keeps working (for display of hvac info)

anddd steering wheel controls will need to be routed through pac interface to aftermarket headunit

Last edited by randeez; 05-25-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow nicely done. I'm looking at options and this seams feasible...except for loosing the spare.