HFL prompt volume vs. BT volume

Old 03-07-2007, 02:51 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
HFL prompt volume vs. BT volume

I seem to have a "conflicting volume" problem with using my Blackberry Pearl with the HFL. If I have the volume set to have reasonable interactions with the HFL without blowing my eardrums then the phone call is very quiet when it connects. So, I then turn up the volume to hear the other party and have the conversation. When I'm done and I disconnect the HFL, the beeps and voice prompts are now painfully loud.

Is there a way to tell it to increase the volume of the phone connection without also increasing the volume of its built-in sound effects?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I do is set my phone volume to a comfortable level. Then when I receive a call when in the RDX, I turn up the radio volume to where I can hear it. Thus I leave the phone volume alone and only adjust the HFL volume. Have you tried this?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:35 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
yea just make sure phone volume is up more
Old 03-08-2007, 03:35 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, after a fashion I have gotten things working much better.

It wasn't as simple as adjusting the phone volume, though, due to the way that the Blackberry Pearl works. Basically, the phone volume keys were inactive while on the HFL and the phone's volume was locked at 50%.

With a bluetooth headset the volume keys work fine and they control the volume of the headset - you can use either the volume control on the headset or the volume control of the phone and both do the same thing (the volume slider graphic on the phone's display even moves as you play with the headset volume controls). But, the headset is using the "headset" profile whereas the HFL is using something called "handsfree module". That latter profile doesn't seem to allow adjusting the volume.

So I did a little digging and found a way to adjust the "Default Call Volume" on the Pearl. (It's in the Phone App->Menu->Options->General Options->Default Call Volume" if anyone else runs into this.) I had it set on "previous" which is nice because it remembers the volume level you last used on each particular device. So, it was simply using the same call volume as I had previously used on the HFL device which was initially set to 50% when they were paired and stayed at that level because there was no way to change it with the volume keys. I changed the default volume to 100%, did a test call and voila - the volume of the call is now very close to (but still a little softer than) the HFL feedback volume - close enough that it doesn't cause any issues any more. Even better - I was then able to set the default volume setting back to "previous" and the volume stayed at 100% for the HFL - problem solved (though I still would like to be able to adjust them independently from the HFL...)