Help me with mp3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me with mp3?

I have and use an iPhone in the car and I love it. I'm very computer literate.

But mp3? I'm top of the ignorati!

What do I need to do to play mp3s in the car?
  • I don't think there's a USB port, so that eliminates using a flash drive.
  • I'm totally moronic about iPods -- my son sent me one a coupla years ago preloaded with photos and music, and I was never able to make it work. I don't even know where it is right now.
  • I have a series of mp3 trainings I'd like to listen to. First, I need to download them to my computer, and next would be a flashdrive. However, that would be nuts, I presume.
  • Is there a way to copy them to my iPhone (via, e.g., iTunes)?
  • Then, can I just play them from the iPhone or do I have to do something to make it work. (I plug in my retractable iPhone charger on entering the car).
Thanks. I'm pre-Kindergarten with this.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Fastest and easiest way if you have music on your MP3 player, is to get a Phono cord and plug it in to the AUX jack just above the "cigarette lighter thingy" / 12volt outlet by an inch.[do tech the packages have this?] these can be found at walmart for cheap, you probably already have one.

ALso, I'd avoid FM transmiters I bought a Monster one thinking it was gonna be quality, but it hissed and lacked the power to send the signal to the rear of the RDX where the Antenna is located, I had to put it in the back seat to get a decent reception, that's no good. I am the one driving and I like to have control at stoplights to change the song. So that is something you should avoid.

The phono cord plugs into the headphone output of the MP3 player. Then plug the cable into "AUX in", and set the Radio to AUX/CD.

To copy Mp3's is another story entirely.

I am a Windows user (WMA at 192kbps), and I hate Itunes simply because it copies all my music to an itunes directory (again) and doubles the amount of space on my Hard-disk. And is very unorganized but that is a individual prefference issue.

With the exception of i"Anything", most players will alow you to copy files to them by "Copy and paste." iTunes uses a sync'ing connection, once it plugs into the computer by the USB dongle that comes with it. It copies all selected music in the iTunes library to your i"Anything".

itunes does not search by default for music on your computer, IIRC it askes if you want to make it you default player, and that is up to you.

To add music to your itunes

To add to the library open itunes --> go to FILE(at the top) --> use the pull down menu, go to ADD FOLDER TO LIBRARY... --> click USERS folder --> click "your login name" folder --> select but do not open folder, back up if you did, the MUSIC folder. Now click the SELECT FOLDER button on the bottom right corner of the "Add folder.." window.

iTunes will start copying and converting windows media center music to an itunes directory. This will take a while and once it is done the itunes will sync the music to you i"Anything" when you plug it into the computer

Also as a last resort, there should be a video on Youtube about doing this, just google under videos "itunes add mp3" there should be a walkthough if this is over your head.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Wow, that's a lot of data.

If I have to get a transmitter, that's a deal breaker.

I'm fine at copying, uploading and downloading music etc., but, like you, I don't like using iTunes.

However, I don't know how to play music from my iPhone to the RDX. Is it automatic? Does it just come up once I plug it in? Do I have to plug in my iPhone to the port above the cig lighter?

Thanks for the suggestion of YouTube. Good idea.

Thanks for your time!!!

Last edited by phineasboggs; 10-23-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
A couple of other options:

- burn them to a CD. Just create a data CD (as opposed to an audio CD) containing the MP3s you want to listen to. The CD player will decode them fine and display track information on the screens.

- install a USA Spec PA15-ACUxl adapter. I installed one recently and it was a simple process. I am very happy with the results. The included cable is long so you can route it into the glovebox or center console or up near the cup holders if that's more convenient. Then, plug it into your iPod or iPhone and control it with the stereo controls. It displays track information through the navigation unit.

More info in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-159/what-ipod-adapter-choose-neo-usaspec-dice-682670/

Last edited by superblast; 10-23-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Originally Posted by phineasboggs
Wow, that's a lot of data.

If I have to get a transmitter, that's a deal breaker.

I'm fine at copying, uploading and downloading music etc., but, like you, I don't like using iTunes.

However, I don't know how to play music from my iPhone to the RDX. Is it automatic? Does it just come up once I plug it in? Do I have to plug in my iPhone to the port above the cig lighter?

Thanks for the suggestion of YouTube. Good idea.

Thanks for your time!!!
THX!

lol, sorry, I was mentioning that you should stay away from FM transmitters to connect to the RDX.

For playing the songs, it will not be automatic, the controls will be at the MP3 player. The AUX input will act like a giant headphone if you will. The car will be need to be AUX mode on the radio display.

Acura does have an Iod connector option that will charge and control the songs, and I imagine it would be intuitive and switch to Ipod and play once connected. It costs a bit and most people go the cheaper route with a phono cable.

Super blast is right, I did the same aswell, about 9 or more cd's (wma format 192kbps) fit onto one writable CD. and 6 cd's = 54 or more cd's. problem is that you can't take the RDX inside Olive Garden and listen to your music, or the mall.

I hate mac, it kills my inner child.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:45 AM
Instructor

LOL! I think it's hard for people who use MP3 players to really comprehend my total stupidity and ignorance, when I say I cannot work an iPod. My eyes cross at all the wonderful information offered here.

But thanks for the idea of just copying them to a CD. That's doable, although not easily updated or changed.

Too bad I can't just plug in a flash drive and go. And sounds like my fantasy of plugging in my iPhone and playing tracks from that won't work.

I think I'm understanding that Bluetooth doesn't work for music from the iPhone. And that the RDX isn't set up for other MP3 easy access except through all sorts of other accessories. Playing a few MP3s is just not important enough to me to buy more equipment or taking on another task.

Thanks for all your help, time and input.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wait a minute. Why is everyone making this sound so complicated? ONCE you have MP3s on you iPhone, it's easy to play them on the RDX. The bluetooth route will add complication, so just skip it.

1. Get a 1/8" in stereo to 1/8" stereo cable from Radio Shack or somewhere else. This is a SIMPLE cable to find.
2. Plug one end into the jack at the lower right corner of the head unit
3. Plug the other end into the headphone jack of the iPhone
4. Turn on the RDX stereo and hit the Aux/CD button until Aux shows up in the RDX upper display
5. Turn on your iPhone, go to the iPod app, select the music you want.
6. Adjust the iPhone volume between 3/4 and full to make sure you get enough signal to the RDX head unit.

It's really not complicated if you just want to listen to music. In this config, full control except volume remains on the iPhone. Nothing but AUX will show up on the RDX displays - but it works just fine.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Copy cat shinobi

If iUnderstand Phineas correctly (computer "PC" literate) the problem is with the iTunes interface (MacOS "OS 4" illiterate) and sync'ing music to the iphone. I had to help my "pops" get his working. Cat is right, and both of us are on the same page.

Phineas have you copied and converted your music on your computer? Is there music on your iPhone? Have you figured out the ipod app yet?

Cat and I are talking about this cable (brand does not matter, this same one is $5 at Bestbuy.)

Plug this cable into the headphone jack and the other end into the AUX jack on the RDX.

The fact is none of this is that complicated as there are soo many instructional videos on youtube as I stated earlier.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is actually a much better adapter that provides better sound. I had this before I bought the USA Spec.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...3901&sku=35508
Old 10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Originally Posted by phoward_15
This is actually a much better adapter that provides better sound. I had this before I bought the USA Spec.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...3901&sku=35508
I got one better than that!

Best adapter ever period(!). Also available in 5.1 Lossless sound!!! lol