ELS weak sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELS weak sound?

How is everyone finding the ELS system? I find the clarity and spatial qualities to be very good but it's not very loud unless I crank the sound...especially the subwoofer...not really getting any thump. I'm wondering now if something was damaged when the dealer installed my backup sensors (which requires removing the rear-right speaker).
Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Playing DVD-As is weak as you describe.

When I play normal CDs, I have to turn the volume down about 5 notches to attain the same volume level as DVD-As or FM. XM is in between.

I get the most bass from the CDs as well. XM is second, then DVD-A, FM last.

Just the way the system is built I assume...
Old 08-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bobq
Playing DVD-As is weak as you describe.

When I play normal CDs, I have to turn the volume down about 5 notches to attain the same volume level as DVD-As or FM. XM is in between.

I get the most bass from the CDs as well. XM is second, then DVD-A, FM last.

Just the way the system is built I assume...

Maybe that's why. I'll test out a few CDs over the weekend. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boon
How is everyone finding the ELS system? I find the clarity and spatial qualities to be very good but it's not very loud unless I crank the sound...especially the subwoofer...not really getting any thump. I'm wondering now if something was damaged when the dealer installed my backup sensors (which requires removing the rear-right speaker).

I don't really have that same issue as you, the DVD-A's I play are generally loud on level 6, some may require higher levels, just the way they were recorded at the studio. Same with the CDs...
Old 09-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mav238
I don't really have that same issue as you, the DVD-A's I play are generally loud on level 6, some may require higher levels, just the way they were recorded at the studio. Same with the CDs...
Same here.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mav238
I just tried the aux input using my Treo650 and that was plenty loud with tons of bass. It's really only the DVD-As that sound weak. The discs I've played are "The Beatles - Love", "Metallica - Black Album", and "Moist - Machine Punch Through". Just waiting on my Crystal Method disc to arrive (supposed to be a great demo disc) to really test it out.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boon
I just tried the aux input using my Treo650 and that was plenty loud with tons of bass. It's really only the DVD-As that sound weak. The discs I've played are "The Beatles - Love", "Metallica - Black Album", and "Moist - Machine Punch Through". Just waiting on my Crystal Method disc to arrive (supposed to be a great demo disc) to really test it out.
The Beatles is is low on the Bass. I have Diana Krall and when the BASS (the actual instrament)is being played it makes a bad vibration on the window. Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" can't remember which track has really kicking base. I would reccomend this DVD to anyone - if you can find it- it sounds great all the way through.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:09 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I took a TL from my office for a spin the other day. Coming from the base RDX system...i must say the ELS truly dissapointed me. In terms of sound level...not much louder and or intense than the RDX. CD's sounded really good...but i dont know, i felt like something was lacking and/or this system has been so hyped up i was just expecting spectacular sound. I have not heard the ELS in the RDX however.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MMike1981
I took a TL from my office for a spin the other day. Coming from the base RDX system...i must say the ELS truly dissapointed me. In terms of sound level...not much louder and or intense than the RDX. CD's sounded really good...but i dont know, i felt like something was lacking and/or this system has been so hyped up i was just expecting spectacular sound. I have not heard the ELS in the RDX however.

IMO

You need to hear the RDX els system. I did get a TL for a loaner one day and it had the ELS system and it did not sound as good as the rdx.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:56 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
its just another radio without dvd-a in my opinion. i mean yea its nice, clean sound, but not spectacular until you really test it out with a dvd-a
Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 PM
TX JD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The image processing of the ELS makes up for less than stellar speakers and amps. When I got my TL, the quality of the sound was amazing, but it certainly lacked the punch and clarity of my medium-priced aftermarket system in my Legend (still using the factory audio unit). Same for the RDX. For those of you who also notice this, keep in mind that the watt rating is not RMS but peak and is at 10% distortion at that rating. The 5 channel amp is about 6 X 8 X 2, so you can imagine the lack of quality. As for the stock speakers, the MSRP prices from Acura are $24.73 for the 4 door speakers, $21.28 for the 2 tweeters, $22.10 for the center, $25.48 for the 2 satellites and $236.62 for the sub unit which includes the 8" sub, plastic box and separate amp. In the base RDX, the sub and box costs $68.50 since there is no amp. I have pulled one of the door speakers and it is lightweight junk. I'm amazed it gets the sound it does. Imagine what some decent speakers and amps could do for this system. I am planning an upgrade and my first decision for the front door, tweeter and rear doors is between Boston Acoustics Pro60 or Focal 165V2. Any thoughts?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM
B A N N E D

Well since it is all processing like Bose systems, upgrading the speakers would do little.

MAYBE, I don't know, you should give it a try and report back.

Pictures?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Cruisin'

We just recently got our 07 RDX. I spent some time tweaking the radio/regular CD sound quality as the sound lacks dynamics even compared to our 2000 TL.
I can't comment on the DVD-A sound as none of the local CD stores even sell DVD-A anymore (need to get it from the Net). Sound is muffled bass, lack highs, and generally very flat. CD's that sound good in our TL sounds dead in the RDX. So, i definitely wanna hear how DVDA sounds.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Advanced

I'm not very technology savvy, so I may not be reading the original question right, but a friend of mine did some adjustments to my stereo system from the original neutral settings. With the changed settings, I do get more of the subwoofer thump.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ELS in RDX is better

I traded an 06 TL for my RDX. I think the ELS system in the RDX is much stronger, better spatial presence and sound quality over the TL. I hear things on my DVD-As that I didn't in the TL. I have no problems with bass response. My iPod also sounds great, however I use Apple Lossless for all the rips.

I agree with the other poster about Dire Straits/Brothers In Arms. An excellent DVD-A. I also recommend Santana/Supernatural, Seal and Queen/Night At the Opera - if you can find it. 'Bohemian Rhapsody' is so over the top it will Change Your Life.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:18 AM
/etc/car

Extremely disappointed with the radio. The XM codec has its own flaws, but it still has high end...FM/AM does not. Aux or CD sounds fine.

FM is hopelessly dull. AM is so bad that it sounds like a telephone conversation with low end. The head unit does not offer RDS or IBOC (HD) either. Radio is not supposed to sound this bad.

AM is allowed to use 10khz of bandwidth. If you have an older tube-type receiver with a good speaker or a newer wideband receiver (like the GE Superadio II) you'll see a clear and marked difference in AM. In fact, I bet most people would think it was FM. The head unit sounds like it's cutting it off at 3-5khz. Telephones are 300hz-3khz.

FM uses 15khz of bandwidth. Our head unit sounds like it's rolling it off at 10khz or it's applying de-emphasis twice. It also sounds like it clips high end on a strong signal source....it would sound like light crackling coming from the tweeters on local stations (from which you wouldn't get static).

If that little stub on the roof is our antenna, it's insufficient to pull in a radio station. A decent size antenna for FM reception is just over 6 feet.....most use a different style which is 2.5 feet...and a window antenna makes a "T" shape with each leg just under 2.5 feet (it can wrap around). They probably use a pre-amp on the RF input which is stupid....because it amplifies the noise, too.

There also seems to be some sort of a "static eliminator" DSP in there. It will roll back the high end when the signal strength gets weak to try and avoid having you hear static.

I drove a 2007 accord....that unit had AMAZING reception, with the exception of that anti-static DSP which made distant stations sound flat.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Black RDX in N. VA.

Sounds good to me...

I'm really enjoying the ELS system. With most radio, XM, or CD music it sounds like a very good stereo system - I think the center channel really adds something that most of my previous auto systems never had. I've found that classical music actually comes through the best from radio/XM.

With DVD, the sound is often amazing - the Beatles' Love is terrific and try Sting's Brand New Day: it'll blow you away with surround. Michael McDonald's Motown is also an excellent DVD, with great separation of all channels. Diana Krall didn't impress me, although it may have been the music more than the sound.

Most of the time I'm listening on volume level 6-10, depending on ambient noise (moonroof, etc.) - but I'm not into headbanging sound most of the time.

I've used the AUX with my MP3 (a Sansa), and for some reason the signal/sound level is VERY weak - I have to turn up the volume to 20+ to equal the same sound as 6-10 from other sources.

I could see eventually upgrading speakers slightly, but I would never complain about the factory system....
Old 10-14-2007, 09:18 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
im especially happy now that i learned how to make regular .wav and .mp3 16-bit into dvd-a 24bit
Old 10-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by neo1738
im especially happy now that i learned how to make regular .wav and .mp3 16-bit into dvd-a 24bit
You do realize that you're not really gaining anything by doing that, right? You can't create new information where it doesn't exist. Increasing the bit depth on wav or mp3s, will only add interpolated or artificial data - it won't make the sound any better. In fact, depending on the quality of your software, it could actually make it sound worse.

I still, for the life of me, don't notice any sound quality increase in DVD-A. For me, the 'wow' factor comes purely from the 6 channel separation, not the increased data bandwidth....

Mike
Old 03-06-2008, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear

Exclamation that's what my impression was borrowing my wife's new RDX tech

Originally Posted by pdphill
The image processing of the ELS makes up for less than stellar speakers and amps. When I got my TL, the quality of the sound was amazing, but it certainly lacked the punch and clarity of my medium-priced aftermarket system in my Legend (still using the factory audio unit). Same for the RDX. For those of you who also notice this, keep in mind that the watt rating is not RMS but peak and is at 10% distortion at that rating. The 5 channel amp is about 6 X 8 X 2, so you can imagine the lack of quality. As for the stock speakers, the MSRP prices from Acura are $24.73 for the 4 door speakers, $21.28 for the 2 tweeters, $22.10 for the center, $25.48 for the 2 satellites and $236.62 for the sub unit which includes the 8" sub, plastic box and separate amp. In the base RDX, the sub and box costs $68.50 since there is no amp. I have pulled one of the door speakers and it is lightweight junk. I'm amazed it gets the sound it does. Imagine what some decent speakers and amps could do for this system. I am planning an upgrade and my first decision for the front door, tweeter and rear doors is between Boston Acoustics Pro60 or Focal 165V2. Any thoughts?
ELS is advertising. My 2002 TL-S Bose is much much better. And I never thought I'd say that about any Bose system.