ELS Surround Sound Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELS Surround Sound Forum

I love the ELS surround sound system in my RDX. I encourage anyone who has not taken advantage of the DVD-Audio capabilities of the system to check it out. Get Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or Satana's Supernatural and be prepared to get blown away.

However . . . .

The DVD-Audio player does not seem to recognize and play DVDs unless they have data in the AUDIO_TS folder. This is a problem for DVDs with the audio contained in the VIDEO_TS folder only (i.e. encoded into VOB files as opposed to AOB files).

I'd like to extract audio from the VOB files and re-encode in a format that the ELS system can read, preferably as DVD-Audio, but at any rate keeping the surround sound of the original. I don't want to lose the DTS or the quality of the audio in the process.

Has anyone found a straightforward (or even not-so-straightforward) way of handling this?

The ideal system would have simply played the audio portion of the VOB, just like a standard home DVD player with DTS. Not sure why Acura didn't implement this.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have somewhere I can get Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon DVD-A for a good price. It's averages $70 on eBay when it sells.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 83Devil
However . . . .

The DVD-Audio player does not seem to recognize and play DVDs unless they have data in the AUDIO_TS folder. This is a problem for DVDs with the audio contained in the VIDEO_TS folder only (i.e. encoded into VOB files as opposed to AOB files).
That's the point. DVDs with audio in the VIDEO_TS folder only are just regular DVDs (or just Audio DVDs), and we all know our player can't read them. We can only play DVD-Audio - which means audio in the AUDIO_TS folder. DVD-Audio discs usually have audio in both so you can play them on regular DVD players. At any rate, this is why I said Acura missed the boat on this in earlier threads. They should allow our players to read regular DVDs.

You can extract the multi-channel audio from regular DVDs, and rewrite it to DVD-Audio. However, by doing this, you will essentially be creating DVD-Audio discs from the Dolby Digital or DTS COMPRESSED audio. It's usually recorded at 48K, and 16 or 24bit depth - so you won't get the full bandwidth you could from a native DVD-Audio disc.

If you wanted to do this, all you would need to do is grab one of the MANY programs out there for extracting multi-channel audio from DVDs. Once you did this, you could use something like DVD Audio Solo from Cirlinca to write it to DVD-Audio. It would be up to you to make sure you weren't violating any license agreements...

Mike
Old 05-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turboted
Do you have somewhere I can get Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon DVD-A for a good price. It's averages $70 on eBay when it sells.
I don't think it was ever released commercially on DVD-A - there was an SACD version that was released by the studios.

But, Google may be able to help you if you ask it about DSOTM DVDA.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:54 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by catnippants
If you wanted to do this, all you would need to do is grab one of the MANY programs out there for extracting multi-channel audio from DVDs. Once you did this, you could use something like DVD Audio Solo from Cirlinca to write it to DVD-Audio. It would be up to you to make sure you weren't violating any license agreements...
I've extracted audio from VOB files in the past, and just burned to CD. I guess my question is this: what's the advantage of extracting the audio from VOB files and then burning back to DVDA? Why wouldn't I simply burn to a CD format? Would I be retaining more info by burning to DVDA vs. another format?

I've got Queen's Night at the Opera on DVD-V -- sounds great in surround sound on my home theater. The DTS audio is obviously there. What's the best format for retaining as much as the audio as possible for the ELS system?

My hope was that somewhere out there is an audio conversion application that would extract the DTS audio from VOB files and write it back to AOB files in one elegant step. Absent that utility, is there a format that the ELS System can recognize that will retain as much audio information from the VOB files as DVDA?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 83Devil
I've extracted audio from VOB files in the past, and just burned to CD. I guess my question is this: what's the advantage of extracting the audio from VOB files and then burning back to DVDA? Why wouldn't I simply burn to a CD format? Would I be retaining more info by burning to DVDA vs. another format?

I've got Queen's Night at the Opera on DVD-V -- sounds great in surround sound on my home theater. The DTS audio is obviously there. What's the best format for retaining as much as the audio as possible for the ELS system?

My hope was that somewhere out there is an audio conversion application that would extract the DTS audio from VOB files and write it back to AOB files in one elegant step. Absent that utility, is there a format that the ELS System can recognize that will retain as much audio information from the VOB files as DVDA?
The difference is in the number of channels. DVD-A allows for multichannel audio, whereas regular CDs do not. If your extraction utility can only extract two channels from your VOB files, then you wouldn't get much over a traditional CD - whether you burned them to standard CD or DVD-Audio. If you can find an extraction utility that will preserve the channels, DVD Audio Solo (and some others) will allow you to write the 6 channel audio to DVD-Audio format.

I'm not aware of any single button solutions...

Mike
Old 05-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by flar
I don't think it was ever released commercially on DVD-A - there was an SACD version that was released by the studios.

But, Google may be able to help you if you ask it about DSOTM DVDA.
Thanks for this tip!!!

I got this ISO and burned it, now on my computer DVD player I see it has a menu with a few different audio formats including DTS. In my RDX, how will I know which audio stream it will play?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 494 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by steev
Thanks for this tip!!!

I got this ISO and burned it, now on my computer DVD player I see it has a menu with a few different audio formats including DTS. In my RDX, how will I know which audio stream it will play?
The RDX should play the DVD-A track as a default. Try it, and it should say "DVD-A" on the dash. If so, you're rocking in 5.1 with one of the best DVD-Audio's you can't buy!