Bluetooth Phone - The Good & the Annoying!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:35 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Arrow Bluetooth Phone - The Good & the Annoying!

I am using a Nextel i870 with my RDX, and have come to have a love hate relationship with the pair.

GOOD
So nice to talk hands free. Makes driving and talking a breeze

ANNOYING
Have you ever had an "argument" with your voice recognition saved caller list? Very frustrating.

How about cranking a great tune, or listening to something interesting, only to have the HANDSFREE LINK light up on the dash and interupt you. First time it happened, I thought my audio system died!

Getting out of the car and, even after the car is off, having the Bluetooth link still active for a minute or so, preventing phone use.

Overall, it's great and one can always turn the phone off if you don't want to be bothered.

Anyone else have any other scenarios?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I initially had some "arguments" with the HFL phonebook, but then realized that I had to be more descriptive with the phone book names. For example, instead of having an entry called "Mom" I would have "Mom's cell phone", or insead of "home" I would have "home phone" or "house phone". Now I don't have any problems with it.

The HFL interupting the audio system doesn't bother me, as that is what is supposed to do, but it did take some getting use to at first. Plus for me, I am usually listening to my iPod so when a call comes in and it starts ringing, the HFL pauses the iPod, and when I hang up, it continues right where it left off.

When I get out of my car and the phone is still linked for a about a half a minute, I don't have any problem there as I can always open the phone use it even when in the car and it is running and linked. If you mean you are on a call when you turn the car off, then you need to hit the button and say "transfer" to transfer the call to the phone. You never have to use the HFL linked or not. It not like a bluetooth headset where used to have that problem all the time when I was downstairs and my headset was upstairs linked.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:15 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get me started.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trying to "transfer call" and it keeps telling me there's no call in progress even though there is or PARDON!!!! Damn annoying!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by amypinseattle
Trying to "transfer call" and it keeps telling me there's no call in progress even though there is or PARDON!!!! Damn annoying!!!!!!
Are you trying to transfer to the HFL or from the HFL?

If you are trying to tranfer to the HFL, is the little phone icon showing in your secondary display next to the clock? When you hit the HFL talk button, does the MID show your signal strength and battery strength? If neither or these is happening, then your phone is not properly linked via bluetooth.

Not sure if it matters or not, but I just say "transfer" not "transfer call".
Old 11-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by oblio98
Getting out of the car and, even after the car is off, having the Bluetooth link still active for a minute or so, preventing phone use.
actually u can still use it immediately... just that u wont hear it ring, but when the person picks up or voice mail comes up... ull start hearing that... same thing if ur in the car and use the phone without the HFL... not too bad..
Old 11-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Missin my TSX =(

its only "transfer" and it can only transfer if youre already talking to the person, not if its ringing
Old 11-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Missin my TSX =(

now, after i cleared that up.... heres my problem... storing names is retarded... how can 'DAD' be also recognized as 'TED'... how can 'JOHN' be recognized as 'MOM'.... so i gotta add a cell after ever persons name... so annoying... when i try to call them, im always saying 'call' then 'mom'... and it goes... 'would u like to call 'john', then im like FUK... its 'mom cell'

another thing, when im trying to store numbers... say its 6461234567 ... it would say... 64*612003457 .... almost half the numbers i tried to store... ive had this problem, i had to either speed say the number or scream it haha... hella annoying...

other then that, im okay with it..... just wish i can say 'call john' rather then 'call'.... 'what name or number would u liek to dial'...then 'john'
Old 11-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
actually u can still use it immediately... just that u wont hear it ring, but when the person picks up or voice mail comes up... ull start hearing that... same thing if ur in the car and use the phone without the HFL... not too bad..
On my phone, when linked, the phone still rings as well as the HFL.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

just wish i can say 'call john' rather then 'call'.... 'what name or number would u liek to dial'...then 'john'
You can say "call john" instead of "call" "what name/number..." "john". In fact I think you can say "Call John Dial" and it will go right to dialing.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Racer

Same here. I hate the command "transfer". I wished it auto transfer. If I'm on a call and I his the phone button it should auto transfer. Why else would anyone hit the phone button when a phone is not in link but exist on a call.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by sasair
You can say "call john" instead of "call" "what name/number..." "john". In fact I think you can say "Call John Dial" and it will go right to dialing.
really? lol everytime i say call john or call whoever... it says .. pardon... what name or number would u like to call..
Old 11-19-2006, 12:10 AM
4th Gear

Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing yet... but I really hate the fact the caller id doesn't show the name of the person calling. I entered my girlfriend's phone number into the HFL's phone book. When she called me, I was pissed that it was only her number appeared and not her name.

The caller id is pretty much useless, as who really memorizes phone numbers nowadays?

I'm really hoping I just don't know what I'm doing and I just have to enable some setting or something.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by ecarino
Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing yet... but I really hate the fact the caller id doesn't show the name of the person calling. I entered my girlfriend's phone number into the HFL's phone book. When she called me, I was pissed that it was only her number appeared and not her name.

The caller id is pretty much useless, as who really memorizes phone numbers nowadays?

I'm really hoping I just don't know what I'm doing and I just have to enable some setting or something.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ecarino

I concur.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Cruisin'

I have a Treo 700p and I do not see even the phone number for an incoming call on the MID. Is this phone model specific or are there other Treo 700p users out there who are getting the phone number to diplay on the MID?

Thanks,

dmg
Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Intermediate

What is really annoying is that I was led to believe the system would display Names.
This pic is directly from Acura's website:
Old 11-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by DMGoldie
I have a Treo 700p and I do not see even the phone number for an incoming call on the MID. Is this phone model specific or are there other Treo 700p users out there who are getting the phone number to diplay on the MID?

Thanks,

dmg
hey man, check out www.acura.com/handsfreelink ... go on the 'find a phone' feature... then put in ur vehicle and ur cell service and cell model... then it will tell u exactly what it can or cannot do

oh and from the looks of that site... looks like their "caller id" is just the number
Old 11-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DMGoldie

Thanks,

dmg
The Handfreelink website says that caller ID does work with the Treo 700p.

That is lame that Acura's website shows pictures that do not apply to the actual features of the car. If we really wanted to claim false advertising, I'm sure we could file a complaint somewhere. It's just like that webpage that shows the keyless remote button lighting up and the windows going down.....
Old 11-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Missin my TSX =(

It's just like that webpage that shows the keyless remote button lighting up and the windows going down.....
really? can u show us? or me.. lol?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

really? can u show us? or me.. lol?
Go to www.acura.com
click on RDX
click on Interactive Showroom
click on Doors
click on Remote Entry

watch the remote, the unlock button flashes twice, and the windows magically roll down. How's that for false advertising? It was obviously a thought they had before the final decisions were made. Just like the names on Caller ID.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is lame that Acura's website shows pictures that do not apply to the actual features of the car. If we really wanted to claim false advertising, I'm sure we could file a complaint somewhere. It's just like that webpage that shows the keyless remote button lighting up and the windows going down.....

Really? You can't control the windows using the remote? I think my friend's TSX remote can do that.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by creativeguy
Really? You can't control the windows using the remote? I think my friend's TSX remote can do that.
yea man the tsx tl mdx and accords can do that...
Old 11-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Go to www.acura.com
click on RDX
click on Interactive Showroom
click on Doors
click on Remote Entry

watch the remote, the unlock button flashes twice, and the windows magically roll down. How's that for false advertising? It was obviously a thought they had before the final decisions were made. Just like the names on Caller ID.
haha wow thats interesting... ionno y they would do that... but when u press 'back to doors' the windows close... but in the description, it doesnt say anything bout the windows going down...

if u do the interactive showroom/doors/remote entry... for the tsx... it says something bout the windows opening.. so i have no idea
Old 11-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Intermediate

Parrot
Old 02-17-2008, 04:13 PM
bfNJ

I hate that the HFL asks me if I want to call a number after I've asked it to make the call. How about saying it is calling and give me the chance to stop it? A lot less clicks...
Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Transfer

its only "transfer" and it can only transfer if youre already talking to the person, not if its ringing
I transfer during the ringing phase all the time.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Wierd. I have a 700P with VZW and I see the incoming call number on the MID all the time.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Racer

Yet another reason why my L7 kicks butt!
Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM
7th Gear

how about trying to say a number you want to dial while you drive. you say the numbers loudly and clearly and it gives you totally random numbers and you get so annoyed you just laugh. its so much easier&quicker to dial the number on your phone, then say transfer.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Racer

You have to do one number at a time, that's why - albeit still annoying though...
Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear

Bluetooth problem

Hey guys, I'm new to this site. I stopped using my bluetooth for a while b/c my calls would always get dropped. I could never carry on a long conversation with the bluetooth. What's the problem?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vrflyer
You have to do one number at a time, that's why - albeit still annoying though...

Actually, I usually speak a string of numbers and the voice activation accurately records them. But I had to train myself the correct cadence of speaking to do this.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
is there a way to update the bt system? i hate how u have to store the phone contacts names + # in the system. Also its really annoying when u dont have the number stored in the phonebook so u go through the cell phones phonebook and select the person u want to call and it don't automatically transfer the call to the car's bluetooth system.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 PM
9th Gear

phone numbers

The worst phone problem for me is that the HFL just will not, absolutely won't, simply refuses to recognize me saying the number '4'. I'm English, so I'm obviously not using the accent it expects but nothing I can do gets it to recognize my 4's. I'm thinking of asking my friends to get new phone numbers....
Old 02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fryrice
is there a way to update the bt system? i hate how u have to store the phone contacts names + # in the system. Also its really annoying when u dont have the number stored in the phonebook so u go through the cell phones phonebook and select the person u want to call and it don't automatically transfer the call to the car's bluetooth system.
You can also store phone numbers in the nav system address book.