Center USB connection Draining iPhone power

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:32 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Center USB connection Draining iPhone power

hello,
i have a 2012 RDX (full shawd/tek package navi stuff). got it used last fall (2016).

i've been plugging my iPhone 7+ directly in to the USB port that resides in the center arm-rest compartment to play music thru the system as well as keep it charged. it has been working great (except for the occasional "unsupported" issues, which unplugging & plugging it back in fixes).

but lately (i'd say just within these past few weeks) i noticed that my iphone power is actually draining instead of charging when plugged in here.

even if i do not play music; even if i have "quit" every running app; even if i have it asleep... the charge will go down - not a lot, just a little. but still!!!

i've also noticed that the phone gets pretty hot when this happens... most of the time. so i wondered if it was just cause it's summer & the sun/heat coming thru the windshield might be overheating it. but no, i took it off it's mount & even tried it sitting in the shade.

note, it used to charge the phone (tho slower than if plugged in to a cig lighter adapter). so i'm not sure what happened or changed to cause this.

any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?
thanks.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Try a new cable
Old 08-08-2017, 05:44 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Try a new cable
@thoiboi - ah, yes, i should have mentioned, i did try a different cable. 2 in fact. didn't make any difference.
and, i also tried a different phone (tho also an iPhone 7+) & had the same results.
thanks.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Does it do the same while in airplane mode
Old 08-25-2017, 03:32 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Does it do the same while in airplane mode
sorry for the delay'ed response. to answer your question, yes, it does it whilst in airplane mode also.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
My SWAG is the newer iPhones are using more juice than what is being replaced with apps, bluetooth, wifi, cellular connections. Even shutting everything down and just using bluetooth streaming still pulls more power compared to phones a few generations ago. I think most 12v plugs are around 10amps. I would use an adapter in the 12v slot and make sure it isn't in the 1.2 amp range or lower. I would try an adapter at least 2.1 to 2.4 amps per USB slot:

Scosche USB 24w/4.8a USB Charger:
Amazon Amazon

You might have to switch between the two if power gets too low on longer trips.

Last edited by mrgold35; 08-28-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:07 PM
8th Gear

@mrgold35
thanks for your post!

i do have a plug for the cigarette lighter outlet, which i use when i need to charge. just would be nice for the usb that allows for music to pass thru to also charge the phone. i think you are right about the version thing - the car is 2012 - that's 5 years older than my iphone, so there's compatibility issues. i wish the car's system was updatable like an iphone or computer is.

anyways, yeah, i was hoping to know what the specs were for that center usb plug - it's probably just 1 amp or so. i couldn't find anywhere in the manual or online what it is. oh well.