Backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009 | 12:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GOTTSPD
Bringing back a thread from ages ago...

I have always thought that the camera view in my car was disappointingly cloudy (like that Claritin commercial before they pull the film away). Anyway, I had the car at the dealer for some other stuff and asked them to take a look at it. They gave me a loaner RDX (an '08 - mine's an '07) and the picture quality between the two was dramatic. The '08 was crystal clear. I showed the tech the difference between the two, so they replaced the camera... That did nothing, so next week the tech (who is the shop foreman) is going to call Acura to see what's up. The next step may be to replace the navi screen... Short of a defect in the screen, I can't imagine what else would cause such a disparity in the picture quality between RDXs...
I got my '07 RDX used so I thought the poor quality of the camera just came that way. Now I'm curious to go look at an '08 or '09 to compare. I've seen the camera of the '09 TL and that's like comparing HDTV to analog on the RDX. Most likely the superior screen of the TL is the reason the image is so much better. I think my RDX screen isn't defective - just poor quality cheapo low-res part - but perhaps Acura changed parts in the '08 model?
Old 01-04-2009 | 02:23 AM
Cruisin'

Smile

Hi everyone:

I like the camera on my RDX. It is the second vehicle I have had with a backup camera. The other was a 2004 Honda Pilot EX-L Navi.

The larger screen and brighter and/or better sun-shaded screen in the RDX is a welcome improvement. As is the joystick control instead of the fingerprint producing touch screen in the Pilot. I guess what I am trying to say is it can be worse.

Now I thought all RDXs had rear tinted glass. I don't see very many in St. Louis, but all of the ones I have seen do. I also added a lighter tint film to the driver and passenger side windows.

Considering I am looking through 20% tint out the back on a clean car the camera seems very bright to me at night. In a dark parking lot I can see things with the camera I cannot see by looking out the back. I don't mean because of the blind spot. I mean the tint darkens it. If they put the camera inside the rear glass I imagine it would be just as dark.

I usually keep the RDX pretty clean, but we have had some snow/sleet/salt mess here once or twice this year that left it dirty for a couple of days. I did not have any significant issues with the camera during this time, but did notice when it was clean again.

On both vehicles I considered trying to measure the viewfinder image, but haven't tried. I think it will have a lot of variance if the road behind is not completely level to the car. I really like the superimposed backup zone on the Infiniti M-class. It turns when you turn the steering wheel to show you where in the camera the car will be when you back up.

Sorry for the long post, but I don't post that often. It just builds up...
Old 01-04-2009 | 11:10 AM
Pro

I agree with STLBill. I think the rear-view camera works great in the RDX. My image is picture perfect and not distorted at all so maybe something is wrong with your screens/cameras. It does suck though when you have dirt on the camera or an icicle hanging in front of it. But you know what you do, you get your lazy arse out of the seat, wipe it off, and get going. It does work really well at night time by lighting everything up.
Old 01-04-2009 | 01:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by phoward_15
I agree with STLBill. I think the rear-view camera works great in the RDX. My image is picture perfect and not distorted at all so maybe something is wrong with your screens/cameras. It does suck though when you have dirt on the camera or an icicle hanging in front of it. But you know what you do, you get your lazy arse out of the seat, wipe it off, and get going. It does work really well at night time by lighting everything up.
The image on mine is very bright at night as well - which is very welcome. The image also isn't 'distorted'. It's just very desaturated (even on bright sunny days), and not very clear. My complaint is really relative. It's just much worse than any other in-car backup camera I've seen, including older MDXs.

Mike
Old 01-19-2009 | 02:16 PM
Instructor

By way of an incomplete update... The screen was replaced in my car today, but I'm not getting the car back until tomorrow or Wednesday. In any event, I'm not terribly optimistic. I did confirm that the cameras are the same from 07 to 08, so that isn't it. I don't know what catnippants means by desaturated, but mine has a distinct lack of clarity. I also noticed that the screen is very dim when I first start the car in the AM (when it's cold out).

I'll let you know how the screen is when I get the car back. If the screen still sucks, I'm not sure what to do, but I'm not ready to give up yet... Maybe it's a wiring issue?
Old 01-19-2009 | 03:23 PM
Pro

I also noticed that the screen is very dim when I first start the car in the AM (when it's cold out).
Mine is that way to but in 0 degree temperatures I would expect the screen to have to warm up before it was at full saturation. This occurs on my iPod, Blackberry, etc whenever I leave it in the car overnight when it's cold outside. It only takes a couple of minutes for it to warm up...nothing major.

To increase the brightness of the rearview just turn the knob clockwise and that'll do it. Or you can go into setup and increase the overall brightness of the screen. I did that when I first got my RDX and that also takes care of the difficult seeing the screen when the sun is shining on it.
Old 01-22-2009 | 10:01 PM
Pro

By way of an incomplete update... The screen was replaced in my car today, but I'm not getting the car back until tomorrow or Wednesday. In any event, I'm not terribly optimistic. I did confirm that the cameras are the same from 07 to 08, so that isn't it. I don't know what catnippants means by desaturated, but mine has a distinct lack of clarity. I also noticed that the screen is very dim when I first start the car in the AM (when it's cold out).

I'll let you know how the screen is when I get the car back. If the screen still sucks, I'm not sure what to do, but I'm not ready to give up yet... Maybe it's a wiring issue?
By desaturated, I mean lack of color brightness/depth. Think closer to black and white. My friend's '04 MDX shows much brighter colors through the rear view cam.

Mine also takes a LONG time to get bright on cold days. It has gotten worse every year, and I'm going to make a stink to get my screen replaced just before my warranty expires. My personal suspicion is because they chose to use cold cathode lighting as opposed to LEDs. Cold starts are notoriously bad for cold cathode lighting. The more cold starts, the shorter the life...

Mike
Old 01-23-2009 | 02:53 PM
Instructor

I'm bummed... I spoke w/ the service tech that worked on my car and he says that the camera view (even w/ new screen and new camera) is the same as it had been, which is equally as bad as all of the other '07 RDX's that they have. He confirmed that the '08s have much improved resolution/view. The cameras seem to be the same part number, but I don't know about the screen. Is there anything else that could impact the view (perhaps, the nav unit itself)?
Old 01-23-2009 | 03:33 PM
Pro

Hmmm...I wonder if maybe they improved the camera cable shielding. I'm just grasping at straws now. If the screen and camera the same PN (likely), then I don't see any reason for the 08's to be that much better.

Mike
Old 03-12-2009 | 07:09 PM
Pro

So an interesting data point here. Has anyone else upgraded their Navi disk from 4.55 directly to 4.73A? I just did, and I'd swear I see a significant improvement in my backup cam. It doesn't make sense to me - so I keep telling myself it's all in my mind. However, EVERY time I have put the car in reverse since my upgrade, the display has caught my attention. The image appears clearer, brighter, higher in contrast, and more saturated (brighter colors). Maybe my wife cleaned it without telling me?

It could still be in my mind, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference since upgrading...

Mike
Old 03-12-2009 | 08:17 PM
Instructor

Catnip, that's fascinating. Where are you located? I'd love to try that on mine and see if changes anything. I can't see how it could, but who knows.... Where did you get your copy of 4.73A?
Old 03-12-2009 | 09:08 PM
Pro

Unfortunately I'm way up north. I agree...*IF* it's real (and that's a big if), I suppose they could have made some changes to the system firmware to improve the picture quality parameters - like contrast, color, sharpness, etc. that we don't normally have access to. It's not really out of the realm of possibility...

As far as where I got my copy, I bought it. Yes, I spent that ridiculous amount of money and upgraded. It's on sale (*cough*) for $149 through March 15 at www.acuranavi.com. Since it's the current version (and since you can downgrade easily), it might be worth a visit to your dealer. They can probably pull one out of a car on the lot, let you try it, then revert it back before you leave.

I REALLY wish Acura/Alpine/Panasonic would post release notes on the new disks. It's just plain sad that car systems, functions and processes are sooooooo inferior and primitive when compared to current consumer electronics.

Mike

Last edited by catnippants; 03-12-2009 at 09:12 PM.