White Color mismatch, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Color mismatch, anyone?

I have made a non-refundable (a grand) for white/taupe/tech RDX in Aug and it is to be purchased in aweek. About couple of weeks after making a deposite, my sales man showed me a white RDX in the lot but, at that time, I did not notice the color mismatch between the metal body and the plastic bumpers (front and rear). However
another couple of weeks later, I had a chance to take a closer look at a white RDX in the lot but this time it was easily noticeble, especially along the seems on the plastice bumper side. Not only over-all hue is different, there seems be mild beading of the paint along the whole length of the seem. It almost looks like bad paint job after an accident. I have also read similar complaint about the white RDX on CNN Auto consumer review section.
If the mismatch is this bad with my new RDX next week, can I refuse the delivery without losing my $1000? The sales man told me, at the time of deposite, if I do not buy the unit, I will lose my grand. Any input will be welcomed.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Instructor

white RDX

Obviously those with white RDX would notice.
Especially, if I may, any input from 'druggist', 'Madison3' and 'TL_2004" will be appreciated.
Do you notice the difference, if you do, does it bother you or others who look at it at all?
I thank you in advance for your input regarding color issue .
Old 10-06-2006, 04:01 AM
Instructor

Neither myself nor Mrs Madison3 notice any color mismatch nor a bad paint job, after having ours for a month now. From a visual finish perspective, the worst we had was a greasy palm print (not too obvious) on the dash near the windshield interior temp sensor.

On the other point, I'm surprised that the deposit is non-refundable.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Thanks alot.
Your input is well appreciated.
BTW, I guess I am not an experienced buyer and I have learned my lesson. It is not that I do not wnat the car but but by making the deposit, I put myself into a tight spot. On the side, though, I was able to pick my favorite color (if there is no mismatch). In any case, is yours with taupe? If it is, how is the shade of the taupe.?
Is it on lighter side or darker? (I know this is a relative terms)

Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Unless you signed some contract saying you give up your rights to a deposit refund, you should be able to legally get it back.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Instructor

I did sign a paper, while the salesman was explaining what it was. I did not read all the details of the document. BTW, I am not even sure whether he gave me a copy.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Dennis

Originally Posted by gomboy60
I did sign a paper, while the salesman was explaining what it was. I did not read all the details of the document. BTW, I am not even sure whether he gave me a copy.
Lesson to be learned. In a dealership, ALWAYS read what you sign and ALWAYS get a copy.

I thought I was careful reading my sales agreement, but it was only after I left the dealership after my purchase of an RDX not yet in stock that I discovered I was going ro pay $188 for "Antitheft glass etching (optional)". I handn't left the parking lot yet so I went back in and had it removed. No problem. (Oh, and if anyone knows a car thief that's deterred by glass etching, let me know. I'd advise him to go into another line of work.)

I'd think the dealer wouldn't give you a hard time about the deposit, especially if what you want is another RDX. That is, a different vehicle of the same color or one in a different color where the paint job is up to your expectations.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Thanks for your comment.
Let's just hope the the color mismatch isuue does not come up on mine.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Missin my TSX =(

ionno i think i got some color mismatch between my car and the front lip i just put on... imma give it a few days to kick in...
Old 10-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Instructor

carbon bronze also has a bit of a color mismatch between the plastic bumpers and the body....it was present on all of the TL's as well. Only noticeable in direct sunlight, and if youre looking for it.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Advanced

Def an issue with painting the body and the plastic bumpers,look at a number of A4s in the last few years, they have this same issue. Easily seen on lighter colors like Silver. Poor quality control on all parts here
Old 10-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Intermediate

Red Mismatch

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Def an issue with painting the body and the plastic bumpers,look at a number of A4s in the last few years, they have this same issue. Easily seen on lighter colors like Silver. Poor quality control on all parts here
Yes, I noticed the mismatch on the White also. I have a red RDX and yes in certain light there is a mismatch between the plactic and the metal. This is my third Honda product and they have all had the mismatch between the panels. When the dealer was looking at my last car, a 2000 accord coupe, for trade in they asked me if the bumper had been painted as the colour was off. I had the car since new and it was always store inside.????
Old 10-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Racer

Just Playing Devil's Advocate here

But can anyone give an example of a car make/model where the bumper and body do match? The reflective properties of both materials are inherently different and while plastic can do a good imitation of metal, when side by side, I don't think they'd ever look the same...only close to the same.

That said, I do agree that the white RDX is more noticeable than the other models...I remember seeing a photo way back in August and thought it was blatantly obvious.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Boon's right.

I notice a bit of mismatch on my pearl white RDX (which arrived without needing any paint work). Depending on the time of day and lighting conditions makes a huge difference. Overcast days make it easier to see the difference.

Since looking at other cars, I've noticed it on RSX's, TL's, Lexus's, Infiniti's, etc. Like Boon said, it's just a bit more noticeable on the RDX.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Instructor

One of the reason, also, it is so noticeable in RDX is the amount of area that is covered by the plastic. For both front and rear, area beyond those almost diagonal seems are all plastic. I agree that plastic and metal have different reflective properties but I am sure there is a way to solve that problem and it should not be that difficult. May be applying a different types of base coating or primer might do the trick or using a paint with different adherance properties might be a part of solution. In ant case, good responses.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boon
But can anyone give an example of a car make/model where the bumper and body do match? The reflective properties of both materials are inherently different and while plastic can do a good imitation of metal, when side by side, I don't think they'd ever look the same...only close to the same.

That said, I do agree that the white RDX is more noticeable than the other models...I remember seeing a photo way back in August and thought it was blatantly obvious.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner here! This is a common issue that has been around for years with every manufacturer. Lexus and Acura have more issues with their pearl whites colors, but it has to do with the paint takes and reflects differently to each material. It is nothing to really be concerned with as it is not a defect in the individual car.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by gomboy60
Thanks for your comment.
Let's just hope the the color mismatch isuue does not come up on mine.
Thats just the way it is and has always been with the "premium white" or "aspen white". It is like that on all Acuras regardless if they come from Marysville, Ontario, or Japan.

In regards to the deposit, if it is on a credit card, they credit card company always takes the side of the consumer. Most dealers like to say non refundable deposit, but they won't hold you to the fire over it. If it is on a card, call the company. If it was on a check, that gets more complicated, but your bank should back you up.

In my area (with only one exception) every dealer will refund a deposit UNLESS, you have them locate a vehicle at another dealer and bring it into inventory or if you have them accessorize the car, then back out of the deal.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Instructor

I asked Mrs Madison3 if she can notice any color mismatch on our white RDX while we headed to the car this afternoon. She did say that the lower trim/skirt white could (if one were to look hard) have a slight difference to the rest of the vehicle. But it could be the way the light reflects off the ground, or the way the paint coats the different materials.

So as most mentioned, if you were to look for a color difference, you'd probably find it but it's probably inherent to the material/paint combo or technical limitations, rather than a manufacturing defect.