What should be in the RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:58 PM
08 RDX Tech Silver/Ebony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should be in the RDX?

I've had my 2008 RDX for just over two weeks and I love it -- this baby corners on rails!

Now that the 2008's have rolled out, they finally added the auto-dimming mirror, Bluetooth and driver seat memory settings as standard equipment. Not sure what else changed, but as far as I can tell, those are the loudest bullet points.

Maybe it's just me, but being an Acura luxury vehicle, I think it should have:
(Some of these might have been covered before, but I thought they could stand to be mentioned to Acura again, if they're listening)

a) That sixth gear -- maybe a little much to ask for a 4-cylinder, but a taller overdrive to increase highway fuel economy and maybe space out the ratios a little better in between
b) Magnesium paddle shifters -- instead of plastic, Mitsu puts this in their much cheaper vehicles
c) Hood lifts -- gas struts under the hood -- $32k minimum and it's still a manual prop rod?
d) Rear seats -- more useful configurations -- the seats don't slide fore or aft and you can't change the seat back angle, plus the rear center armrest should cover a passthru opening and the cup holders are pretty weak
e) Updated GPS -- include touchscreen entry, add a third person overhead view and better graphics: pay off Tom Tom, Garmin, Google or whoever, the factory supplied mapping looks way too antiquated
f) Center console -- is huge, but that side hinged lid is a bear to get past from the passenger side
g) iPod integration -- SHOULD NOT be a $400 option and it shouldn't suck -- and why is the aux jack on the radio face of a luxury vehicle?
h) Key fob -- needs a hatch release button and it to go on a diet -- it's huge and weighs a relative ton -- why doesn't the RDX have smart key entry and start when you can get it on a $16k Nissan Versa??
i) Moonroof -- could stand to have a little bigger of an opening
j) Headlights -- should have auto-on feature, and the auto-off never seems to work right
k) Rear wiper -- intermittent only? Shouldn't there be more than one speed setting back there?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
how about power passenger seat.... Acura got cheap on this one.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
how about power passenger seat.... Acura got cheap on this one.

wait a year or two. pwr pass. seat is a very typical add on for honda vehicles ~2 yrs after launch.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by karrock
I've had my 2008 RDX for just over two weeks and I love it -- this baby corners on rails!

Now that the 2008's have rolled out, they finally added the auto-dimming mirror, Bluetooth and driver seat memory settings as standard equipment. Not sure what else changed, but as far as I can tell, those are the loudest bullet points.

(Some of these might have been covered before, but I thought they could stand to be mentioned to Acura again, if they're listening)

a) That sixth gear -- maybe a little much to ask for a 4-cylinder, but a taller overdrive to increase highway fuel economy and maybe space out the ratios a little better in between
b) Magnesium paddle shifters -- instead of plastic, Mitsu puts this in their much cheaper vehicles
c) Hood lifts -- gas struts under the hood -- $32k minimum and it's still a manual prop rod?
d) Rear seats -- more useful configurations -- the seats don't slide fore or aft and you can't change the seat back angle, plus the rear center armrest should cover a passthru opening and the cup holders are pretty weak
e) Updated GPS -- include touchscreen entry, add a third person overhead view and better graphics: pay off Tom Tom, Garmin, Google or whoever, the factory supplied mapping looks way too antiquated
f) Center console -- is huge, but that side hinged lid is a bear to get past from the passenger side
g) iPod integration -- SHOULD NOT be a $400 option and it shouldn't suck -- and why is the aux jack on the radio face of a luxury vehicle?
h) Key fob -- needs a hatch release button and it to go on a diet -- it's huge and weighs a relative ton -- why doesn't the RDX have smart key entry and start when you can get it on a $16k Nissan Versa??
j) Headlights -- should have auto-on feature, and the auto-off never seems to work right
k) Rear wiper -- intermittent only? Shouldn't there be more than one speed setting back there?
I agree with all of it! Though instead of iPod integration, Acura might want to invest in something like the "Ford Sync", which recently won one of the "Top 10 Gadgets" of the year from Popular Mechanics. You can plug in any multimedia device that has a USB port (even flash drives) and control them via voice controls. Sweeeeet.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 PM
B A N N E D

Maybe keyless entry/exit/start/stop, which should be on every Acura, or at least an option.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Racer

I think Acura got cheap on a lot of things to keep the price point near $30K and not cannibalize MDX sales. I'm sure all those frills are nice, but would you pay a few thousand extra for them? I don't mind saving my money.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sixth gear... Don't miss it. Could be nice?
Magnesium paddle shifters. Again, don't miss that and use the paddles daily.
Hood lifts - Both my MDX's have this and it would be a nice feature.
Rear Seats - I sit up front. My kids love it back there! That being said, the CRV back seats have several positions and the MDX's recline too.
GPS - touch would be nice. I honestly need to try using the voice commands more and read the manual for the key words.
Center console - it is for me and opens just right. I just got the cooler bag and that is pretty useful for trips. Gotta keep those Doubleshots cold.
iPOD - came with the Tech. I like the jack on the face. The MDX has it in the console and I thought that was weird...
key fob - smaller - yes, keyless - yes... Both minor though. I don't like to drive with a big blob in my pocket either.
moonroof - perfect
Headlights - Auto on/off...worthless (to me) I wouldn't use the auto on off anyway. Never did in my Lexus or my MDX.
Rear wiper - would you drive with it on? I wouldn't. Just me.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's almost perfect in stock form.

The obvious ones would be power passenger seat and power til/telescope with the memory function (one of my favorite things about my Maxima).
Old 10-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd really like to have automatic (dusk sensing) headlamps, too.

Plus, how about a TECH version that doesn't lose the FM RDS program type / title listing that every FORD vehicle stock radio can do today? The non-TECH audio system has it. The TECH doesn't. WHY?

-AR
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Meat Popsicle

I would like to see the headrests have the tilt ability that my TL had.

On the keyless entry subject, I had that on a Prius, and I liked it.
However, it really is a novelty, and its gee whiz factor wears off soon. So I can take it or leave it. I would have expected Acura to include this in all of it models by now considering that it is so widely available in this price point.

A 120Volt outlet at the back of the console should be standard as well.

The sun visor should have the slide feature that the TL had.

A sunglass holder in the in the roof should be in evry Acura.

A 6 speed Auto is long overdue in Hondas, I thought the new Accord might debut it. Maybe the next TL platform. My guess is that they were stung by the problems with this 5 speeds inital release, so they not are going to be more careful with the next generation tranny.

Also, since we are smoking the happy acura weed here, and seeing visions, I'd like to see them develop a DSG type tranny like my friend has in his A3. That thing is a hoot! Pair that with the shawd programmed to bias the rear on launch, and a new TL/TSX would be something.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 AM
AcuraChick

Originally Posted by cwepruk
I think it's almost perfect in stock form.

The obvious ones would be power passenger seat and power til/telescope with the memory function (one of my favorite things about my Maxima).

new to the site...i agree with it being alllllmost perfect in stock form. but i sold acuras for a year, and the rdx WILL have both a power passenger seat, memory seats, as well as pwr tilt/telescope for the later 08s. one of the bonuses of still being an insider, i get all the info. haha.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will believe it...when we see it...that's how it is for the fact.
ANything can change at anytime right?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:45 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Power pass seat, the other added gimicks like a keyless entry would just drive the price up.

have to remember...the rdx fits nicely under an MDX. if the RDX gets driven up in $$ that means one of many things may happen; The RDX price point would be too blended with the more upscale MDX (like X3 - X5) and or one of the 2 trucks may suffer as a result. Just like every Honda & Acura I've owned, there are rigid distinctions between each model and their features. I really do in fact like the RDX the way it is, enough luxury to be happy with while keeping everything on the sports side of things and for the most part affordable. Acura(Honda) makes u change vehicles when you want more stuff. Where the Accord leaves off, the TL picks up and requires a move upscale, and then RL. There are fine lines between models.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MMike1981
Power pass seat, the other added gimicks like a keyless entry would just drive the price up.
My 2001 CLS has power passenger seat, and it was in the same price range as RDX. Power passenger seat should be standard in RDX! Its 2008 and its a luxary car, no need to be cheap. power passenger seat is no longer a luxary, its becoming a standard like "power windows". Or you think power windows is also not necessary
Old 10-17-2007, 06:29 PM
B A N N E D

The RDX already has keyless entry am I wrong? I hardly think a smart key would be gimmicky in the RDX, considering the tech it has, and considering its a luxury SUV, and Altimas have it standard.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Some things its missing....

1. Smart Key (camry hybrd has it for god sakes)
2. Passenger power seats
3. Auto Headlights (Loved it on our 3 week grand prix rental)
4. LED Tails (primarily cosmetic)
5. Ability to go back to last setting used on the Information Screen as well as the navi screen, I hate having to toggle through the menus all the time. (Biggest hate towards the car, I'm pretty sure a simple firmware upgrade can fix it)
Old 10-17-2007, 08:19 PM
07 RDX White w/tech

My wish list

1) An engine that doesnt spit out gas faster than Niagara Falls
2) A "voice recognition" Nav that can understand the HUMAN voice and not my A/C or Radio interferance etc.3)A dealer that doesnt charge 100 bucks just to spend 5 minutes puting in Oil(if he did at all)4)A ride that doesnt knock out your dentures when you go over an ant 5 etc etc etc ..............................................

Originally Posted by karrock

Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by russianDude
My 2001 CLS has power passenger seat, and it was in the same price range as RDX. Power passenger seat should be standard in RDX! Its 2008 and its a luxary car, no need to be cheap. power passenger seat is no longer a luxary, its becoming a standard like "power windows". Or you think power windows is also not necessary
sorry i should have been more clearer, i would WANT the passenger seat...but the other stuff not so much
Old 10-18-2007, 09:04 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I commented on the OP's list, then read everyone else's and here are the things that I think it would have been nice to have. (none of it is needed, just nice)

Digital display info on radio and on the CD's / DVD's
iPod display (just like the iPod LCD)
Sportier tires to match the cornering ability and to make it look that much better (like the MDX or the BMW's)
Hood Struts
LED tails and turns and brake lights
More storage/better storage... Like the CRV dash/roof and the tray under the passenger seat.
Outlet in the back and a electrical plug socket thingy somewhere in/around the console (like the MDX)
Suspension options at the push of a button
Different screen cover for the Navigation (again, like the MDX) - With polarized sunglasses, the screen is very hard to see. Not so in the MDX... you can see it just fine with polarized glasses.
The rear-view camera - I thought it was OK till I saw how much better the MDX's was.
ability to use touch screen on the same nav
more aggressive exhaust note

I am trying real hard to think of things to add....!!!

I just love this car~!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the RDX is perfect as it is. Karrock, you have a long s list of what you don't like on your new 08 RDX, so why did you buy it??

FYI the RDX has always had Bluetooth.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 PM
08 RDX Tech Silver/Ebony

Nothing in my list was a "deal breaker" for me buying the RDX. I just made a list of what I thought would make it a sweeter ride. Neither is anything wrong with wanting to make a perfect car better. Continuous improvements by the manufacturer and optional & aftermarket accessories are a testament to that. And so are the postings by most everyone else to this thread and the one that preceded it.

For 2007, Bluetooth was only in the Tech package -- in 2008 it became standard without Tech. I'd like to think Acura listened to their customers for that change (along with the auto-dimming mirror and memory seats).
Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Pro

I have posted my 1-2 wants.

But honestly, shopping the competition, the RDX is a pretty good buy. Look into a BMW, everythign is an option. HID's, real leather, automatic etc.

Shit, even the CX-7, which is nice IMO, almosts costs as much as the RDX, but is short on more than a few things.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:13 AM
B A N N E D

Everything is an option so you can customize the car the way you want it, and not with extras, like buying the tech package for the upgraded audio and nothing else, making everything standard just cuts down on costs as all of the cars are cookie cutter, options allow you to be more free.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

I still don't understand why passenger seat is not power on a $31K car made in 2008? My Acura 2001 has a power seat, and I paid for it also 30K
Old 10-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
Everything is an option so you can customize the car the way you want it, and not with extras, like buying the tech package for the upgraded audio and nothing else, making everything standard just cuts down on costs as all of the cars are cookie cutter, options allow you to be more free.
True, but in the case of the X3 (and many BMW's/Audi's), you add 10k to the price for "common" luxury options that are standard on so many other cars.

18" wheels, optional.
real leather optional.
Metallic paint - optional

Premium/sport/activity/nav packages all add to the price. The X3 is 15 more more expensive in Canada.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 AM
big shot.

Here is my list:

1. Pwr Pass Seat (this should be a no-brainer) My accord has a power pass seat
2. Hydraulic lifts for the hood
3. More lights in the cargo area that come on when the hatch is popped
4. A rollout-type cargo cover and get rid of that cumbersome in the way shelf that attaches with strings

(the 2008 addresses my other wants for std equipment - mem seats, bluetooth on the basem and auto dim mirror; either way you slice it , the base RDX is better equipped than all its counterparts)
Old 10-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Advanced

I think we all can agree on the power passenger seat. Of course your accord has it and your 2001 acura had it. Legends way back in like 91 had it. When acura introduced the TSX they didnt put a power pass. seat in it for '04, but they did in '05. I was expecting it for '08 but they didnt do it.

-If the MDX doesn't have keyless access, i dont see it happening on the RDX.
-They do need hood struts, its a 30k car! again, the early Legends had them.
-They just added the memory seats (and key) for '08
-Just added the auto dimming mirror for '08, and MDX (they also had the shitty manual mirror on the '07 MDX)
-The TL just got auto headlights in '07, they will come on the '09 RDX i bet.
-I would NOT change one thing about acura's navigation system. IMO it is PERFECT
------If you havent noticed acura is doing away with the touch screen nav and going more towards the rotary dial (like iDrive, but MUCH better and more intuitive) The '09 TL will have it and the TSX im sure. therefore none of acura's automobiles will have a touchscreen nav.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

I think a good option would be to keep the rotary dial on the nav but also have it touch-able. If it's something the consumer can't agree on, I don't see why it can't be both.

I would like it to have the Highlander's knee airbag. I think it would be great if the second row of seats could come out entirely to make a large cargo area (like some minivans). Other than that (and the power passenger's seat), I think it's a pretty well-rounded machine.