washing the RDX - hobby and therapy

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
washing the RDX - hobby and therapy

I don't know about you guys, us here in Vancouver, get so much rain, that this week, when the sun is forcasted for the rest of the week, got me going on washing and detailing the car.

Last weekend, we had some rain, and my white Pearl RDX looks dirty around the lower door and side panels.

So got out the Turtle wax car wash, and within 15 mins, the wash was done. Followed that by microfibre drying, and then applying the Eagle One Nano spray wax.
I already have previously waxed the car with P21S Carnuba wax about 2 weeks ago, but man, this Nano Spray wax stuff works really well... Contrary to a poster's observation here, the spray wax does not dull the P21S shine, it actually enhances it.
It is so easy to apply the spray wax, just have a moist microfibre cloth (wet it and wringe out the excess water), spray a small section at a time, and simply wipe off. No need to buff, unless you sprayed too much and accidentally allowed it to dry down.
I also Klasse sealed the wheels, and it does help to keep the front wheels reasonably clean of brake dust; makes it easy to spray off the dirt as well.

Haven't Lexol the leather seats yet. Will probably start doing that soon.

My wife thinks I am car crazy with detailing the RDX weekly, but it is some kind of hobby and therapy for me...in relaxing me after a long day's work... Will have to get my kid to join in and build up that hobby!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 AM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
Will have to get my kid to join in and build up that hobby!
Teach them while they're young.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Photographer

i bet it doesnt rain as much as it does here. i try to detail the car at least twice a week. i Lexol the interior once a week.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

I hate washing/waxing/detailing, the whole process. However, the satisfaction you get looking at a clean shiny car is second to none. All the aches magically disappears.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good thought on the Klasse, I need to do the same to my wheels and tail pipes! And yeah, I also get some zen from doing a good detail; grew up detailing with my pop so some pleasant memories there. I am almost due for another wax [before summer hits].
Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pacer
Good thought on the Klasse, I need to do the same to my wheels and tail pipes! And yeah, I also get some zen from doing a good detail; grew up detailing with my pop so some pleasant memories there. I am almost due for another wax [before summer hits].
Got a break in the weather here in Vancouver, should see a couple of sunny days in the next couple of days... I took that opportunity and washed the RDX yesterday, detailed the tires, and used the Eagle One Carnuaba Spray wax to dry off the car... the stuff really works great... shines the car and keeps the water beading...

But on the rear trunk door, bumper and rear lower panel, I applied the P21S paint cleanser, buffed off, got the surface squeaky clean and smooth, then applied a layer of KLASSE sealant glaze, allowed it to dry for 6 hours, and then used the Spray wax and effortlessly buffed off the sealant residue.

The KLASSE sealant and Eagle one spray wax combo really works well together... ease of applying on the sealant, and ease of removing the residue with the spray wax + topping off with a fine layer of Carnuaba.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Got a break in the weather here in Vancouver, should see a couple of sunny days in the next couple of days... I took that opportunity and washed the RDX yesterday, detailed the tires, and used the Eagle One Carnuaba Spray wax to dry off the car... the stuff really works great... shines the car and keeps the water beading...

But on the rear trunk door, bumper and rear lower panel, I applied the P21S paint cleanser, buffed off, got the surface squeaky clean and smooth, then applied a layer of KLASSE sealant glaze, allowed it to dry for 6 hours, and then used the Spray wax and effortlessly buffed off the sealant residue.

The KLASSE sealant and Eagle one spray wax combo really works well together... ease of applying on the sealant, and ease of removing the residue with the spray wax + topping off with a fine layer of Carnuaba.
I've heard that Klasse sealant glaze is tricky to use. What's your experience with it mav?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Use it

I have been using the Klasse Sealant, gray bottle, for years and yes it is not easy to remove, but worth the effort.

Once I saw the trick about using the Eagle One from mav238 I tried it. What a difference, it is so much easier to remove now.

Give it a try!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobq
I have been using the Klasse Sealant, gray bottle, for years and yes it is not easy to remove, but worth the effort.

Once I saw the trick about using the Eagle One from mav238 I tried it. What a difference, it is so much easier to remove now.

Give it a try!
Do you think a product like Sonus Acrylic Glanz will work the same way the eagle one does? I may want to stay with an acrylic on top of an acrylic.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-250.html
Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chipt911
Do you think a product like Sonus Acrylic Glanz will work the same way the eagle one does? I may want to stay with an acrylic on top of an acrylic.

Yes, Sonus stuff will work just as well, if not better than the Eagle one. We don't get the Sonus stuff here in BC, Canada.

Yeah, when I read about the issues with using KLASSE sealant, I was initially quite apprehensive about using it. But I took the leap of faith and used the Eagle One spray wax solution, and it really made a huge difference in removing the KLASSE acrylic residue.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Wheelin' Dealer

Sonus would be the better way to go IMO. So you thinking 2 layers? Carnauba on top of Sonus Acrylic looks wet enough to dive into!!(esp. on black)
Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Yes, Sonus stuff will work just as well, if not better than the Eagle one. We don't get the Sonus stuff here in BC, Canada.

Yeah, when I read about the issues with using KLASSE sealant, I was initially quite apprehensive about using it. But I took the leap of faith and used the Eagle One spray wax solution, and it really made a huge difference in removing the KLASSE acrylic residue.
Thanks, I'll try it. Sounds like it will take less application time than other products. I'll have to wait to let it cure for 12 hours or so between applications, right?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I'll try it. Sounds like it will take less application time than other products. I'll have to wait to let it cure for 12 hours or so between applications, right?

Yup, with polymer sealant like KLASSE, you need to allow the polymers to bond to the paint surface "Curing", and then use the Sonus spritz spray, to remove any residual sealant haze. I usually allow the sealant to cure overnight.