Violent Shaking on Road Trip Post Snow Storm

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007 | 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Violent Shaking on Road Trip Post Snow Storm

Unreal. Got on the highway and once I hit 60 mph the entire car was shaking. I otherwise had total control over the car but the stearing wheel was really jittering.

I knocked the snow out form the wheel wells, rims etc and got back on the road. It didn't get any better so I pulled off into Saugherties, NY to find a car wash. No thanks to Saugherties as they only had two in town and both were closed. I knew that town was a dump.

So I made it to the next rest area and gave it another shot at the tires. I was very concerned as the VSA light came on indicating the system was off!! Finally got them cleared and went back on the road. It was finally settled down but I called the nearby Acura dealership who said this was going on alot and several cars had been brought in.

Has this happened to anyone else's RDX. What a pain in the ass!
Old 02-15-2007 | 11:29 PM
Advanced

This happened to my wife too. She kicked out the ice from the tires, but there was so much accumulated on the inside of the alloys that it didn't get much better. However, she was able to take it to a car wash and one through, it was okay. Kinda scary though. She wishes they have an alloy rim heater.....maybe next generation ;-)
Old 02-16-2007 | 06:20 AM
Advanced

happened to me too, i had to cancel an appt. because of that. so what is causing it?
Old 02-16-2007 | 06:48 AM
9th Gear

Violent Shaking

Had a similar experience immediately after buying miy RDX. They kept telling me to make sure I didn't have ice buildup on the rims - which I kept telling them I didn't - I'm not a complete idiot as most dealerships think we customers are. Took it in the following week and they found out the car had come from the factory without any lube in the right front axle. They replaced the axle and everything has been fine since. So much for excellent quality control......
Old 02-16-2007 | 10:49 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

It's very common to have an imbalance due to accretion/buildup after driving in snow/ice -- I have experienced it myself a couple times in other vehicles. Other causes would be the tires flatspotting after the vehicle sits for an extended period in cold weather (usually evens out after 3-5 miles of driving) or if you lose a wheel weight. Or apparently if your RDX shipped without axle lube! (that one is disappointing).
Old 02-16-2007 | 01:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by c_hunter
... or if you lose a wheel weight. Or apparently if your RDX shipped without axle lube! (that one is disappointing).

Sounds like yours is weather related, but if it continues you might want to have the tire balance checked. We opted for the 19" wheels, which were installed by the dealer. On our first road trip there was noticeable shaking and we took it back to the dealer. Turns out all four wheel weights were missing. Dealership said they must have fallen off