Tvr93x, Ocrdx

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Tvr93x, Ocrdx

I was checking out your pics in the forum (under "owners post pics please"). Your RDX's look great - I'm thinking the roof rack really differentiates them and makes them stand out - looks terrific!!

What do you think of the rack now that you've got it? Do you like the look? Was it worth the money??

Thanks!!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mommy_barbie
I was checking out your pics in the forum (under "owners post pics please"). Your RDX's look great - I'm thinking the roof rack really differentiates them and makes them stand out - looks terrific!!

What do you think of the rack now that you've got it? Do you like the look? Was it worth the money??

Thanks!!
Thanks! The roof rack was a must for me, it was the only accessory I purchased when I initially got the car. I use it to carry snowboards during the winter months and it comes in very handy when I need to transport something large.

I think the roof looks too plain without it. It's definitely the money for my needs.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by tvr93x
Thanks! The roof rack was a must for me, it was the only accessory I purchased when I initially got the car. I use it to carry snowboards during the winter months and it comes in very handy when I need to transport something large.

I think the roof looks too plain without it. It's definitely the money for my needs.
I heard that roof racks lowers the MPG by a few because it makes the car less aero dynamic? Is there any truth to this?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Advanced

Good question - I don't have a clue about this sort of think, but it would be great if someone out there had some idea, especially with the posts regarding poor mileage floating around...
Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by orbitwhite
I heard that roof racks lowers the MPG by a few because it makes the car less aero dynamic? Is there any truth to this?
It will have an impact, but is more noticeable on cars. On SUVs and minivans, the overall drag is already pretty high, so the additional drag of the rack does not have a significant effect. Once you start loading it up with skis, bikes, cargo boxes, etc it may start to impact MPG, but the bare rack alone probably won't.

I used to see 2-3mpg hits with racks on my 93 Civic coupe and 97 Prelude. Since switching to Subaru wagons in 2000, the mpg has been unaffected by racks, even with pretty substantial loads.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

I estimate I lost between 0.5 and 1 mpg since adding the roof rack and bike mount. This estimate is not completely accurate, but I did notice a very small drop. Im now consistently averaging between 19.5 and 20 mpg (mostly highway with but with a heavy foot). So its not so bad compared to a rack on a sports car or something.