Trying to get used to paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to get used to paddle shifters

I have been trying to use the paddle shifters as frequent as possible before, and am still working on learning to use them correctly. Having never driven a stick shift OR one with paddle shifters before, I feel I am shifting earlier than I should - I don't wait until it revs up before shifting up, but instead shift based on speed - for instance, start at M1 (I am a little confused on this - some times it starts on M3 instead, don't know how it works; so I shift down to M1) - and shift to M2 as soon as I reach say 25mph, and then shift up again at about 40mph.

I don't exactly know if I am doing it correctly, although I never had a moment where I felt something was not right. Any tips/suggestions on how to better use the paddle shifters would be appreciated. Also, does anyone to know about why it starts in M3 some times (or, is it just my mind playing tricks on me?)?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
You should be looking at RPM, not speed when shifting. Automatic transmission shift at around 2,500 rpm, which is more for fuel economy.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
It is really hard to shift on speed because the turbo power delivery (torque) comes on early and stays pretty steady. I find it hard to listen to the engine sound to know when to up shift on the RDX because there is not a lot of change in the engine note. I bumped up against the fuel cut off a few times because of this. It is real easy with my TSX because I hear the engine note change when the i-vtec kicks in at 6,000 rpms.

From my experience with the RDX, I'm not able to drive any faster by using the paddles during acceleration. Your 0-60 times will be the same using the paddles or letting the 5AT do its work. Your mpgs might go down a little using the paddles more. I find the paddles helpful:

- downshifting on hills to keep my speed constant in “D” mode
- slowing down in traffic so I'm not riding the brake constantly in “D” mode
- downshifting to slow down on a curve or tight turn and being in a lower gear to shoot out in “D” mode
- driving up mountains and using "S" mode to hold a lower gear and keep the rpms up to maintain speed
Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Just stick to "D." When you want to shift down put it in "S" and mash the pedal to the floor. This is not the sort of super-fast system that you'd find in a Ferrari. It's really a toy, that, when used properly, could be a good tool. Unfortunately, most people will never really use it in a manner that does anything more than waste gas.

Remember, you are driving a 4800lbs CUV, not a Ferrari.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM
PM me if you need a reply

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I watch the tach when upshifting.

You can upshift when you want to stay in your favorite RPM range. Keep it below 2.5k to save gas, like Domm said. Sometimes, I'll cruise up to 4k then gently floor the pedal to get some vtec action.

From the owner's manual:
Recommended (Up)Shift Points
Drive in the highest gear that lets the engine run and accelerate smoothly. This will give you good fuel economy and effective emissions control. The following shift points are recommended:
Shift up Normal acceleration
1st to 2nd: 15 mph (24 km/h)
2nd to 3rd: 25 mph (40 km/h)
3rd to 4th: 40 mph (64 km/h)
4th to 5th: 47 mph (76 km/h)

I watch the speedo when downshifting since it's limited by speed (won't let you downshift into 1st until about 24mph).

Downshifts are faster when NOT in M mode (it'll quickly skip gears without much hesitation in D or S mode like 5th to 2nd when you're trying to pass a yellow light, but you can only slowly downshift sequentially in M mode like 5>4>3>2 [say cheese to the red light camera!]). Supposedly, the S setting has quicker downshifts than D. I manually blip the throttle after tapping the paddle when downshifting since the ECU doesn't, especially from 2>1.

I don't remember what the exact downshift points are:
5>4: about 130 mph
4>3: about 90 mph
3>2: about 60 mph
2>1: about 24 mph

The paddles are great for spirited driving esp. through the canyons. I use them all the time even in traffic to maintain a steady pace and avoid stop-n-go's.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by koolchaits
I have been trying to use the paddle shifters as frequent as possible before, and am still working on learning to use them correctly. Having never driven a stick shift OR one with paddle shifters before, I feel I am shifting earlier than I should - I don't wait until it revs up before shifting up, but instead shift based on speed - for instance, start at M1 (I am a little confused on this - some times it starts on M3 instead, don't know how it works; so I shift down to M1) - and shift to M2 as soon as I reach say 25mph, and then shift up again at about 40mph.

I don't exactly know if I am doing it correctly, although I never had a moment where I felt something was not right. Any tips/suggestions on how to better use the paddle shifters would be appreciated. Also, does anyone to know about why it starts in M3 some times (or, is it just my mind playing tricks on me?)?
This is serious advise...get yourself a car racing video game and you will learn a trick or two.....well, maybe not so serious.

When you are stopped, and in S you can paddle your way up to '3' and start
there. You can do that while driving in traffic or snow to avoid frequent shifting or slippage, respectively.

IMO, there is no need for the regular driver to be in S mode, since you can still use the paddles in D. You would use it in S to HOLD the gear you want (allowed by the computer off course) while doing something, whether is passing, or in a turn, or whatever it is that you want to do.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
the gears are sooo wide that there is no need for paddle shifters in my opinion. On the track i have never gone past 3rd gear and in the twisties im mostly in 2. So 1 or 2 gear changes is pretty pointless. Powerwise paddle shifters can improve your 1/4 mile time if you shift early at 6000rpm instead of going all the way to redline. If you do not have an ecu tune, your engine runs out of steam at 5500rpm. also the 5AT is very responsive in D compared to other automatics out there. i would stay in D. The only reason paddle shifters are useful is that if you want to hold a gear for whatever reason that some people posted above.

if you are trying to save gas, again leave it in D. When i had my RDX dynoed i had a brake specific fuel consumption map made and the shifting sweet spot for this car is between 2000-3500 rpm at 75-85% load. although i shift at 2500rpm at 70% load and have been getting 25mpg city easy. you need a tool like scangauge 2 to monitor load. note that the RDX runs pig rich over 3500rpm (10:1 afr) and going over this engine speed with load means you're burning more gas than most V8 engines out there

Last edited by pickler; 07-24-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks everyone, for all the great advice and input, and a tip or two. Not to be any disrespectful, but I am not as much inclined towards better mpgs or improved times as learning how to use them for the fun of it, when using the paddle shifters.

Originally Posted by InfamousJamous
Downshifts are faster when NOT in M mode (it'll quickly skip gears without much hesitation in D or S mode like 5th to 2nd when you're trying to pass a yellow light, but you can only slowly downshift sequentially in M mode like 5>4>3>2 [say cheese to the red light camera!]). Supposedly, the S setting has quicker downshifts than D. I manually blip the throttle after tapping the paddle when downshifting since the ECU doesn't, especially from 2>1.
Thanks for the info IJ, it is really helpful. Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean downshifts are not as fast with M mode than S mode (that is, if I understood correctly)? I don't know what M mode means, I was thinking of the prefix M when in S when you said M mode.

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
there. You can do that while driving in traffic or snow to avoid frequent shifting or slippage, respectively.

IMO, there is no need for the regular driver to be in S mode, since you can still use the paddles in D.
Thanks for the tip, Wrestrepo - I will also try using the paddles in D the next time I use shifters!

Last edited by koolchaits; 07-24-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 AM

Thanks everyone, for all the great advice and input, and a tip or two.
Yeah, great posts from everyone. I learned a few tips too.

Thanks for the info IJ, it is really helpful. Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean downshifts are not as fast with M mode than S mode (that is, if I understood correctly)? I don't know what M mode means, I was thinking of the prefix M when in S when you said M mode.
I was referring to the prefix M a.k.a. "sequential" mode when in S.

Just saying that downshifts are quicker in S (without the M prefix) because it'll skip to the fastest gear. When in M, it has to downshift sequentially so it can't skip gears and takes longer to get from 4th to 1st.

Last edited by InfamousJamous; 07-25-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco

Remember, you are driving a 4800lbs CUV, not a Ferrari.
Just a quick clarification, the heaviest RDX weighs 3942 lbs, that is the AWD Tech version.

I use the paddles quite a bit, my last 15 vehicles have been manual. As far as paddles go, they work pretty well... delay is not bad. I like the extra control to properly time passes / driving up to the mountains without the trans kicking into a gear I don't necessarily want it to.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jcl78
Just a quick clarification, the heaviest RDX weighs 3942 lbs, that is the AWD Tech version.

I use the paddles quite a bit, my last 15 vehicles have been manual. As far as paddles go, they work pretty well... delay is not bad. I like the extra control to properly time passes / driving up to the mountains without the trans kicking into a gear I don't necessarily want it to.
delay is not bad if your going down 1 gear. try 2-3 geara at a time. thats a pain in the ass. I find D downshifts faster from say 4-2 rather than double tap.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pickler
delay is not bad if your going down 1 gear. try 2-3 geara at a time. thats a pain in the ass. I find D downshifts faster from say 4-2 rather than double tap.
Yeah, that caught me with my pants down this morning. Slowing for a light, no one in front of me, in 4th. Double tap, and floor it... nothing. It was in 3rd out of boost. DOH!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Eh-um, <4,000lbs is dry weight. Have you actually weighted your car? I took mine to the garbage dump, scale on the way out said 4,800lbs. If you put it on a real automotive 4 corner scale I'm guessing it would be pretty close. Remember, the car is full of crap (like 5 years of CD's, tools, roof rack, etc). I weight 235+lbs on top of that -AND- the fuel alone in the RDX gas tank weights over 100lbs .

Last edited by Mr Marco; 07-26-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

This is serious advise...

there.
What? Wow, really bad advice.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Eh-um, <4,000lbs is dry weight. Have you actually weighted your car? I took mine to the garbage dump, scale on the way out said 4,800lbs. If you put it on a real automotive 4 corner scale I'm guessing it would be pretty close. Remember, the car is full of crap (like 5 years of CD's, tools, roof rack, etc). I weight 235+lbs on top of that -AND- the fuel alone in the RDX gas tank weights over 100lbs .

Well, I have never "weighted" the car but the weight listed is the CURB weight which is NOT dry weight. Curb weight is the car with all fluids topped off at max and ready to drive, "dry" weight is without fluids. Car manufacturers always list the CURB weight.

But you are probably right, our RDX's weigh as much as a fully loaded Tahoe. Good try.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Paddle shifters, in my opinion, are useful for hills, primarily for engine braking or holding a gear. Otherwise I just don't see them being used much
Old 07-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, I have never "weighted" the car but the weight listed is the CURB weight which is NOT dry weight. Curb weight is the car with all fluids topped off at max and ready to drive, "dry" weight is without fluids. Car manufacturers always list the CURB weight.

But you are probably right, our RDX's weigh as much as a fully loaded Tahoe. Good try.
Fixed. how's the snarky workin' for ya?

Scales don't lie. That's why I avoid them in the bathroom.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 07-26-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Fixed. how's the snarky workin' for ya?

Scales don't lie. That's why I avoid them in the bathroom.

The TRUE curb weight is located on the sticker inside the driver door. Look for yourself.
Wow dude, you really must be that uninformed. I guess you are referring to the GCWR? (gross combination weight rating) sticker. Yeah, that is the value that includes the curb weight of the vehicle, and all passengers, cargo and towing that the vehicle can carry safely, basically what the chassis is designed to handle in its maximum configuration. You might want to do some actual research instead of sticking to your weight scale story which we have no idea was calibrated correctly that day, or hell maybe you were carrying 600 pounds of crap along with yourself... The plain fact is, the curb weight is what it is, with all fluids. It is 3942 lbs. The sticker you are referring to is the GCWR which is NOT curb weight. These things are fact. I suggest you do a little research before frothing your lies all over the forum.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

<4k = BS Prove it. [put you money where your arrogant mouth is]

Without taking all the shit, including the spare tire, out of your RDX. Take you car to the scale, oh, wait, you don't own an RDX.

I'm telling you what they told me the vehicle weighed in at. Otherwise this is a just a pissing match noob.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 07-26-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have weighed my RDX many times on dynometers. with only 1 person in it, it weighed 4088lbs last i checked.

Last edited by pickler; 07-26-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 PM
StayAtHomeDad

i have weighed my RDX many times on dynometers. with only 1 person in it, it weighed 4088lbs last i checked.

you shouldn't "feed the troll" Pickler.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Repo, go back to mdxer.org This is not a playground.

I see you are starting fights elsewhere too:

Again, why are you even here? You are spreading misinformation to people who want to get the truth about the RDX

Last edited by Mr Marco; 07-26-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

Ahhh, resident troll. That makes sense. Troll away Mr Marco! Enjoy your 2 1/2 ton RDX.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:18 PM

Yeah, that caught me with my pants down this morning. Slowing for a light, no one in front of me, in 4th. Double tap, and floor it... nothing. It was in 3rd out of boost. DOH!
Yeah, that's what I was trying to explain to koolchaits. I got a red light camera ticket once cause I didn't downshift fast enough in sequential mode. Same situation as you, jcl78, but I tried to pass it only to coast thru the light in 3rd.

Now, I just shift to 3rd when I anticipate a yellow light or better yet, just stop.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Ahhh, resident troll. That makes sense. Troll away Mr Marco! Enjoy your 2 1/2 ton RDX.
I Should know better than to let someone push buttons. However, your name calling is speaks volumes about your future here at AZ.

My point that the paddle shifters being nothing more than a toy has been muddled with all this BS.

Shame, the OP just wanted some well deserved advice.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You want LOUSY paddle shifters? Drive an IS350.

I think the RDX actually has a pretty good paddle shift system (in sport mode). It does the 2 most important things correctly:

a) it won't downshift on its own unless you tap the left paddle
b) it won't upshift on its own, even at redline

My Lexus would do 'b', but I couldn't stand how it would kick down to a lower gear when you mashed the throttle in manual mode. Kinda defeats the whole point of a manual mode, duh.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 PM
StayAtHomeDad

The faster you learn this, the better you'll be...not only does he like to argue with people and call them names, he also likes to forget when he does the name calling and sends people stupid PMs like the one in my signature.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Paddle shifters are very useful and fun.
My wife and I split duty in three rides - the RDX, a '98 6spd V8 vert, and a truck.
When I switch from the RDX to the vert I find myself paddling, or at least trying for a sec.

Even if you want to stay in D they are very useful- paddle down a gear or 2 and don't touch the throttle and it will hold gear - in D.

Toy or functional?

I want to know if there is any functional difference between the '09 and the '10 trans?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

The faster you learn this, the better you'll be...not only does he like to argue with people and call them names, he also likes to forget when he does the name calling and sends people stupid PMs like the one in my signature.
Speak for yourself.

Troll= Posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages on-line.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by DRR98
Paddle shifters are very useful and fun.

Toy or functional?

I want to know if there is any functional difference between the '09 and the '10 trans?
Back to the topic...yes very useful.

I remember reading something about the tranny getting improvements for the '10+ before we bought.

Are there any functional differences between '07 -'09 vs '10 -'12 trans?

Anyone know what actually changed?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My biggest grudge with automatics is the downshift AFTER you need the power for example passing on the highway or corning. The paddle shifting is great for that immediate power. I drive mostly in D and drop a gear before a turn or passing I LOVE IT.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
its a cool idea but here in tx i could easily forget about them since i could just throw the shifter in and out of S-mode, i may use them if i ever go on a trip where there are hills to climb.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Cruisin'

Been a while since I visited AZ - been a l'l busy lately. Thanks for some great tips, Infamous, DRR98 and everyone else!

Originally Posted by Altimas
The paddle shifting is great for that immediate power. I drive mostly in D and drop a gear before a turn or passing I LOVE IT.
That sounds like something I should try the next time I get behind the wheel - will definitely give it a try!