true or untrue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:55 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
true or untrue

I have driven an 09 brand new rdx a year ago and an brand new '10 rdx 2 weeks ago. I have read here and in other places that the suspension has been softened and its my belief that there is a difference between last year and the current model. can someone definitively prove that this is the case? NOT youre opinion but facts please. thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
They have softened the suspension, period. I don't know what kind of "facts" you are looking for. You should read the car magazines if you don't trust the people here.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw a promo video by some car dealership on YouTube earlier today. The sales guy said something like they changed the "geometrics" (??) of the suspension, so it's softer, but still handles as well. The part about the suspension is brief and with no major tech info, but it might give some insight that will help. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fACtEGFi9rU
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Facts would be things like spring stiffness coefficients, not magazine opinions that claim the ride is softer.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
People have hinted at this each year after the 2007.

I would never want mine softer. Keep it stiff!!! It is NOT a Lexus RX350.... (Thank Gawd)
Old 10-02-2009, 11:28 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Facts would be things like spring stiffness coefficients, not magazine opinions that claim the ride is softer.
have you ever seen such information? I think that they just tell you that the suspension has been revised for a more/less ____ ride. I don't think that you ever see numbers...
Old 10-02-2009, 01:51 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
The 07 to 09 all seem to have the same basic part #.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I find my 09 has the best balance available without having costly adjustable shocks. Stiff suspension and long travel means you'll never bottom it out, which is a good thing for longevity and reliability.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Racer

That video was made by MY acura dealership.

Kind of cool!
Old 10-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
They have softened the suspension, period. I don't know what kind of "facts" you are looking for. You should read the car magazines if you don't trust the people here.
if you cant add to the post ignore it.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Agent70
Just saw a promo video by some car dealership on YouTube earlier today. The sales guy said something like they changed the "geometrics" (??) of the suspension, so it's softer, but still handles as well. The part about the suspension is brief and with no major tech info, but it might give some insight that will help. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fACtEGFi9rU
thanks. I have seen this video and others by this dealership. I was so stunned by the hideous fog light 'treatment' that I never heard the suspension stuff. I wish those fog light surrounds were removable so they could be painted black.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Advanced

^^ It hurt my eyes when I first saw it too, but now that I've gotten used to it, doesn't seem so bad. Of course, may be a moot point now, as I'm seriously questioning whether to get an RDX down the road as planned, given the complaints here about bad brakes and poor traction in rain. I know these things can be easily remedied with aftermarket stuff, but why should we have to shell out extra money (when already spending $35k - $40k) for basic things like brake pads and tires??? Shame shame Acura. Hopefully these issues will be resolved in a couple years when I'm ready to pull the trigger on an RDX (after full model change). If not, buh-bye.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Agent70
^^ It hurt my eyes when I first saw it too, but now that I've gotten used to it, doesn't seem so bad. Of course, may be a moot point now, as I'm seriously questioning whether to get an RDX down the road as planned, given the complaints here about bad brakes and poor traction in rain. I know these things can be easily remedied with aftermarket stuff, but why should we have to shell out extra money (when already spending $35k - $40k) for basic things like brake pads and tires??? Shame shame Acura. Hopefully these issues will be resolved in a couple years when I'm ready to pull the trigger on an RDX (after full model change). If not, buh-bye.
yeah its made me think hard about the rdx. I was really into the Q5 until I heard about audi quality, plus you pay so much more for the same stuff that is in the tech package, AND a power tail gate that while nice, isnt really necessary. whats coming up on the outside though is the infiniti ex 35 that is 10 times more luxurious while being about equal in tech and admittedly at least 17 cubic feet short on storage. with the second row folded it could be adequate.. its just down to feeling secure with the ground clearance and awd performance. its really getting my attention all things considered.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Advanced

I was looking at both of them too, especially the Q5. They're both nice, but Audi is way too expensive, and for some reason Infiniti doesn't do it for me (even though I think the EX is beautiful). There's just something about Acura that appeals to me the most -- classy and reliable, but not overpriced or pretentious. I only wish they would get their shit together on the basics.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 AM
mga
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
thanks. I have seen this video and others by this dealership. I was so stunned by the hideous fog light 'treatment' that I never heard the suspension stuff. I wish those fog light surrounds were removable so they could be painted black.
I found the fog light part on Acura's parts website - I think it was $92 ($46 for left, $46 for right side) . I'm considering buying them and playing around with painting it. Does anyone think the paint will have any problems sticking to the plastic, or should it be prep'd some how?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mga
I found the fog light part on Acura's parts website - I think it was $92 ($46 for left, $46 for right side) . I'm considering buying them and playing around with painting it. Does anyone think the paint will have any problems sticking to the plastic, or should it be prep'd some how?
I would prep it. Sand, primer, wetsand, coat1, westsand...coat n then clear coat. You are talking about exterior paint in an area that gets tons of impacts from sand, pebbles, tar, bugs, etc.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:59 PM
mga
Cruisin'

Interesting enough, a piece of mail I just got from Acura included a picture of the front end of the RDX with black trim around the fog lights. Obviously there is some Photoshop modifications done to the photo but I wonder if they really made it in black (maybe for some other country)

Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mga
got a link? thanks for the great catch.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mga
Interesting enough, a piece of mail I just got from Acura included a picture of the front end of the RDX with black trim around the fog lights. Obviously there is some Photoshop modifications done to the photo but I wonder if they really made it in black (maybe for some other country)

that 'shopped' [?] pic looks good but I found a bunch of the rdx in silver that look terrific. the fog surrounds dont stand out at all. and it looks spectacular in the sunlight. with better rims it could be a stand out. I have decided that the audi is totally out of the picture and now its down to the rdx vs the ex 35 journey awd. love that around view monitor and the gorgeous interior. its a close battle though. rdx is just feeling like the right move.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What frame RDX

Is the RDX on an Accord frame.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ezgobob
Is the RDX on an Accord frame.
Nope.
The RDX is based on the Honda Global Light Truck Platform.