Trading RDX08 for MDX09

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading RDX08 for MDX09

I'm planing to upgrade my RDXTech08 for MDXTech/Ent 2009.Pls do share your thoughts/opinions.

Thanks in Adv!

Last edited by acurardx08; 10-19-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Advanced

I wanted one untill I got one as a loaner. I always liked the way they looked but I didn't like driving it. It was way to boaty. I couldn't wait to get my rdx back. I hope you like it.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I actually have a question, how much will you be paying for the MDX? I want to make that switch or get an MDX in the near future...
Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Motegi 2007
I wanted one untill I got one as a loaner. I always liked the way they looked but I didn't like driving it. It was way to boaty. I couldn't wait to get my rdx back. I hope you like it.
I love the MDX too, but have a feeling I'd come away with the same conclusion as you, especially after driving my TSX for 5 years now. I like the small and nimble feel and don't know if I could get used to or like the giant MDX. RDX seems like a much more manageable size.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:54 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
After I got my 2007 RDX Tech, we decided to trade in my wife's old MDX for a 2008 MDX tech...
Don't get me wrong, I loved it and it purred - but compared to the RDX - it felt too large and not as nimble.
We ended up trading it in about a year and a half later...

Still have the RDX though!! That about tells you what I think.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would prefer the V6 of the MDX, but it's just too big for me.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Intermediate

I'm currently shopping around and getting the quote.The best rate I got for MDX09 TechEnt for $41800 on the MSRP 47600 and getting the 27500 on my RDX08Tech with 5K miles(no scratches or dents,like unused).It is little compact for my family with 1yr child and like to have more room for stroller and shopping stuff.most important my son get bored with RDX ride since there no entertainment comes with RDX and lack features.If I wont trade it now I will loose more trade in value and I can't afford MDX in future.so decide to go for now with bigger size SUV with entertainment forever in future i am planing for one more kid so it would be sufficient for my need.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acurardx08
I'm currently shopping around and getting the quote.The best rate I got for MDX09 TechEnt for $41800 on the MSRP 47600 and getting the 27500 on my RDX08Tech with 5K miles(no scratches or dents,like unused).It is little compact for my family with 1yr child and like to have more room for stroller and shopping stuff.most important my son get bored with RDX ride since there no entertainment comes with RDX and lack features.If I wont trade it now I will loose more trade in value and I can't afford MDX in future.so decide to go for now with bigger size SUV with entertainment forever in future i am planing for one more kid so it would be sufficient for my need.
you're right, I have two kids and the RDX is pretty useless without taking the kid's seat out and then you can't take them with you. we only drive the RDX when we know we don't need any additional space these days...... the MDX will be better, but by only a bit....... but still, suck it up and get an odyssey. it's ideal for kids. then have a more fun vehicle on the side for when you don't need to haul kid crap.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stevel
you're right, I have two kids and the RDX is pretty useless without taking the kid's seat out and then you can't take them with you. we only drive the RDX when we know we don't need any additional space these days...... the MDX will be better, but by only a bit....... but still, suck it up and get an odyssey. it's ideal for kids. then have a more fun vehicle on the side for when you don't need to haul kid crap.
I took MDX09 Tech test drive and I really liked it drive,pickup and other options.I don't think its too big.I have other old car Nissan Altima98.

I will go for it in next week.

Appreciated all your inputs!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Congrats on the upgrade
Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like the MDX, but to me it has always felt too big. That being said, my wife and I are expecting twins next week and I suspect the RDX will suddenly seem very small. 2 rear facing infant car seats make for a tight squeeze. Fortunately neither of us is very tall. I guess we'll see how the cargo area measures up with the double stroller. Maybe an MDX is in my future after all.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
after you spend some time behind the wheel of an MDX, even better with the sport package, you will appreciate the way it moves...its a sleeper. it doesnt come right out and announce its athleticness like the RDX, but you will quickly discover that it carves it up beautifully, the V6 is silk, and its size although glaringly big at the start, is not that bad and much more useful after a few days inside.

as for the actual cargo space, i dont have kids, nor have i EVER felt constrained by the RDX, and ive put tons of shit in it seats up n down all the time and am always the one heading to lowes, or some store ...so, i mean, i never thought the RDX was small inside in terms of its cargo capacity, and, i ALWAYS thought the back seat was more than adequate, especially compared to other like cuvs, the back seat is quite comfortable and spacious and one of my favorite places to be in my own car lol so...the MDX only builds on those things in my book...if i had car seats to deal with....im sure id be aggravated either way...

enjoy it
Old 10-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Nice. The RDX has great handling, but sometimes you just need something a little more room. Can you keep both??? (o_O)
Old 10-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

I like the MDX as well... The exterior and interior look really updated and modern... luxurious and techy... engine smooth and ride is also smooth but not sporty.

Only gripe, the stanard 18" wheels is way too small for the vehicle. For the size, a minimum of a 19" wheel is a must. I know you can always opt for it, but why did Acura not put it as standard in the first place?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mav238
I like the MDX as well... The exterior and interior look really updated and modern... luxurious and techy... engine smooth and ride is also smooth but not sporty.

Only gripe, the stanard 18" wheels is way too small for the vehicle. For the size, a minimum of a 19" wheel is a must. I know you can always opt for it, but why did Acura not put it as standard in the first place?
If I was in the market to change the RDX, I would actually consider the new mercedes GLK over the MDX, just from the point of view of luxury and better overall build package.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:45 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
"Now the world don't march to the beat of just one drum,

what might be right for you, may not be right for some..."

-wisdom from sitcom theme songs... 2 points to whoever calls it...

I like the size of the "smaller" size of the RDX, but if you need space, you need space! That's why I let go of my 06 STi....sigh...

Enjoy the MDX!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:35 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by mav238
If I was in the market to change the RDX, I would actually consider the new mercedes GLK over the MDX, just from the point of view of luxury and better overall build package.
Have you actually touch that car? I used to think like you (RDX instead of MDX) until I got to touch and feel the car at the New York Auto Show....very disappointing.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

I have actually driven the MDX quite a lot. I don't have one, but I've spent lots of time behind the wheel, on long drives mostly. It really is a nice vehicle to drive. But I still think it is big. I have to fold the mirrors in to get it in my garage. Too bad they don't have the power folding mirrors, like MB. Speaking of MB, I drove my friends new GLK today. She just picked it up today and let me drive it. Very nice. I was impressed. You can't even feel the gear shifts. It's crazy. But I still like my RDX.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigHatch
"Now the world don't march to the beat of just one drum,

what might be right for you, may not be right for some..."

-wisdom from sitcom theme songs... 2 points to whoever calls it...

Different Strokes

Syzygy -- What did you think of the GLK interior?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

A twins style double stroller will be tight in an RDX if it fits at all.

Ours are separated by a few years, so we have a Joovy Caboose Ultralight:

http://www.joovy.com/pages/pd_cabooseultralight.php

It fits easily into the RDX, with room for enough luggage for a weekend or airplane trip.

Twins would be tough. I am not sure the MDX will be much better--the second row has only one inch more legroom--the MDX is wider and had more space BEHIND the second row, not necessarily much more in the second row.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Thanks. Yeah, the double stroller fits without too much trouble. Much better in the RDX than in our car. I think the advantage of the MDX for two rear-facing infant car seats would be that one could go in the middle and one on the side. In the RDX they have to be on either side but they do fit. Anyway, once we switch to regular forward facing ones, we can recline our seats more.

The MDX would also have much more room in the back if you put down the 3rd row seats. But, I still like the size of the RDX for driving and parking, so we will "suffer" through it with the RDX.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Agent70
Different Strokes
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

atlast ,I'm now owner of the MDX09 Tech Ent from RDX08 Tech.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Now that you have had her for a couple weeks- tell us what things about the RDX that you might miss and what things about your new MDX that you just love.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XIS
Now that you have had her for a couple weeks- tell us what things about the RDX that you might miss and what things about your new MDX that you just love.
not in detail but you can consider the below features.

1.smooth ride (no noise from outside)
2.large cargo(with 7 seaters)
3.many features(factory remote,trunk release on the remote,roll down/sunroof slide)
4.no turbo noise(sshhhh)
5.oil change $40 but with RDX $80
6.entertainment option but not available in RDX though if you pay.
7.300HP/RDX 240HP
8.Audio quality difference(better than RDX) though same with RDX
9.second row heated seats/ac
10.etc but still need to figure out..
Old 11-09-2009, 09:11 PM
9th Gear

Hi. I am in the same situation - have a baby on the way and thinking about trading a '08 RDX Tech for a 2009/10 MDX Tech. The primary reason for the trade would be RDX's tight suspension. Illinois roads are pretty bad and the ride is often bumpy and jittery. I am just afraid that such a rough ride could potentially harm the baby because of all the shaking. Has anyone had similar thoughts?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by dynamomax
Hi. I am in the same situation - have a baby on the way and thinking about trading a '08 RDX Tech for a 2009/10 MDX Tech. The primary reason for the trade would be RDX's tight suspension. Illinois roads are pretty bad and the ride is often bumpy and jittery. I am just afraid that such a rough ride could potentially harm the baby because of all the shaking. Has anyone had similar thoughts?
Don't let that be the reason...I am sure that a baby cannot get harmed from the RDX's stiff ride...if it makes you feel any better, I have a 6 week old, for whom we bought the RDX, who is doing great and does nothing but sleep while she rides in the car.

I want to get an MDX too because we are planning to have more kids, and with a dog and "stuff" the RDX falls a little short, but not because of the ride....
Old 11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
9th Gear

wrestrepo,

Thanks - that's good to know!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:42 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Originally Posted by acurardx08
not in detail but you can consider the below features.

1.smooth ride (no noise from outside)
2.large cargo(with 7 seaters)
3.many features(factory remote,trunk release on the remote,roll down/sunroof slide)
4.no turbo noise(sshhhh)
5.oil change $40 but with RDX $80
6.entertainment option but not available in RDX though if you pay.
7.300HP/RDX 240HP
8.Audio quality difference(better than RDX) though same with RDX
9.second row heated seats/ac
10.etc but still need to figure out..
Just having sold our 2008 MDX,
1 - smoother ride, yes - less noisy from outside noise, no. Same.
2- obviously larger cargo
3- I do wish the RDX had more features on the key
4- I like the turbo noise!
5- I use synthetic in everything, so they are the same
6- Ent option - I passed on that with the MDX. Not interested.
7- Without a doubt, my RDX eats the MDX despite having less HP
8- I felt the RDX sound was better due to the smaller cabin.
9- I sit in the drivers seat and could care less if my kids' butts were cold!
10 The MDX is a wonderful car if you need the third row or the extra storage. I prefer the quicker, sportier and more fun RDX at 12K or so less and I don't miss a thing other than the third row.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I almost traded my RDX to MDX 6 to 8 months ago, same reason tight suspension and loud on bad roads. i also from Illinois, the only reason why i didnt go for trade is the dealer will only pay me 25k for my rdx (6k miles only ) and my monthly payment will go up 200/month for MDX. In other words dealer will benefit from you twice...from your trade and from your new mdx... ill just keep mine and maybe later ill just buy another after i paid off my RDX..There will be new model or new features after 3 yrs...

BTW i also have 18 mos baby...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM

I am just afraid that such a rough ride could potentially harm the baby because of all the shaking.

...kids is made outta rubber... you'll stop cleaning things they drop in no time... once the new wears off of 'em hahaha...
Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
As another poster said, our 4 week old does nothing but sleep inside any car. Doesn't matter if it's our RDX or TL.

That said, we will be getting the MDX to replace our RDX when our current lease is up. The RDX just doesn't have enough room to store all of our gear when out and about.

Having driven both, I will miss the RDX as I feel it is much more nimble than the MDX, but the MDX isn't anything close to a large, cumbersome SUV and is quite nimble in itself.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm curious to all of the people complaining about the ride, didn't you take a test drive over some bad roads before you signed the papers?
Also I'm sure all of our childhood was spent on cars that were smaller and had worse ride, and we turned out fine.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by corduroygt
I'm curious to all of the people complaining about the ride, didn't you take a test drive over some bad roads before you signed the papers?
Also I'm sure all of our childhood was spent on cars that were smaller and had worse ride, and we turned out fine.
+1

And our adulthood on cars that have had worse rides!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:01 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by corduroygt
One thing is taking a car for a test drive, having it for a day at best, and another one is living with it.....Have you heard of people getting divorces? Don't you think that they "tried out" the goods before hand?

Also our childhoods were spend unrestrained in back seats, and surrounded by hazardous materials.....doesn't mean that I would like to expose my daughter to that....and explain "turned out fine"

BTW, as a new parent, you must ask "is it okay for my child?" to everything...even to the silliest of things.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Intermediate

I am just afraid that such a rough ride could potentially harm the baby because of all the shaking.
First, congratulations!!

Second, don't worry about the ride bothering the baby. My six week old twins both sleep very soundly when they are in the RDX. I don't think any car would really bother them. They just love being in the car seats. But you can always wait to see how your baby likes it.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:22 AM
07 MDX Base

I used to own an 08 RDX base (and still miss it) and traded it for an 08 Honda Odyssey. I needed the space because I have two kids; 2 year old and a 9 month old. If I had the money, I probably would of traded it for the MDX sports model.