Trading my RL in on a RDX -- anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading my RL in on a RDX -- anyone done this?

Wife and I saw a new RDX at the dealersh!t earlier this week, and really liked the look.

I am very happy with my RL (albeit a somewhat soul-less car), but really like the additional utility space of the mini-suv. Anyway, I am wondering what peoples thoughts on swapping from an RL to an RDX? A general oppinion would be most welcomed. Finally, can somebody also tell me what gadgetry available on the RL is not available on the RDX?

Thanks!

-N
Old 01-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
memory seats, windows down from remote, I think the RL has a feature where you can't lock the keys in the car or the trunk or something like that....

edit: power passenger seat, adaptive cruise control, active lighting, and active noise cancellation. some depends on the model year of your RL....
Old 01-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had the money I would have seriously looked at the RL. It's a great looking car.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you would like the RDX compared to your RL. It does handle good for an "SUV" type vehicle.. smaller than most, not as high, lots of tech goodies, But not up to what your RL was like in all the luxury items. As Sasair said, options will be lacking.
I traded in an Infiniti G35x. Had some nice features the RDX doesn't have, but the RDX still handled well, good peppy pickup, SH-AWD, more ROOM, decent mileage (for a 4k lb vehicle!!). If you can do w/o some options, (like passenger mem. seat) you will love the RDX for what it does. Just my

PS. Make sure you take some test drives on some twisties roads!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by creativeguy
If I had the money I would have seriously looked at the RL. It's a great looking car.
Eh, the RL is a great car. Not a great driver car, but a great gadget car. It has everything you want where you want it, but it's kind of, well, dull. Anyway, I am curious about the RDX -- seems like it has some really usable space and so far the gadgetry sacrifice is nothing major. I can't live with the dual climate control, bt, ipod integration, nav, heated seats, great interior. The RL can definately move, and I routinely hit triple-digit speeds in it and the car handles quite well considering it's size and weight. However, it does have a weird vibration in the steering and under heavy braking. Am curious how the RDX's 4cyl compares to the 290 horse RL 6.

Do you guys view the RDX as a step down from the RL?

FYI -- I live in Manhattan, so I don't want a full-size SUV. It will be interesting to see what the dealers give on a trade for my 10K mile RL.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasair
memory seats, windows down from remote, I think the RL has a feature where you can't lock the keys in the car or the trunk or something like that....

edit: power passenger seat, adaptive cruise control, active lighting, and active noise cancellation. some depends on the model year of your RL....
There are more features on the RL then I will ever use. The active lighting is kinda cool, but since I park in a garage I always have to turn it off lest the parking guys drain the battery. The RDX has no memory or power seats? Jeez. What are they milk crates? The windows down remote is also something I've really never used -- save for once or twice. Nor have I even really used cruise.

The nav, voice commands, bt, climate control, acuralink, and ipod are the same as the RL, yes?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

As much as I love my RDX (and I really do), it would be a step down. I say dont do it unless you absolutely have to have more cargo volume.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nabbs
The nav, voice commands, bt, climate control, acuralink, and ipod are the same as the RL, yes?
Correct.

No memory seats, and no passenger power seat, the drivers seat is power.

How does parking in a parking garage with parking guys drain your battery with active lighting? Active lighting is the feature that swivels the headlights right and left to see further into a turn.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasair
Correct.

No memory seats, and no passenger power seat, the drivers seat is power.

How does parking in a parking garage with parking guys drain your battery with active lighting? Active lighting is the feature that swivels the headlights right and left to see further into a turn.
ah-ha! See like I said 90% of the gadgetry is beyond me. I thought it was the "auto" function on the lights (which has been left on a few times).

Definately a neat feature -- don't think it's something I'd miss.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Sporty X type

... I can't live with the dual climate control, bt, ipod integration, nav, heated seats, great interior...
I think this is all the same, (if you have the RDX w/ tech package) you can turn on / off the dual climate control

The RL can definately move, and I routinely hit triple-digit speeds in it and the car handles quite well considering it's size and weight. However, it does have a weird vibration in the steering and under heavy braking. Am curious how the RDX's 4cyl compares to the 290 horse RL 6.
I think the RDX handles quite well for it's size. Haven't had it up to 100+ yet, but has an amazing quickness and stability for a SUV! It MOVES for a 4 banger w/turbo!

Do you guys view the RDX as a step down from the RL?
HELL NO! It is a different type vehicle. For what you pay vs what you get as an Acura, it is an awesome SUV/ CUV. You can't compare directly to an RL, but I think it's just as good for it's class, (or better!) than the RL is for it's class.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Instructor

RDX wins in utility and handling (I think). Everything else the RL has and a little more.

I've taken the RDX up to 100+ and it felt very stable and seems like it had more power to spare. It has very tight cornering abilities with very little body roll and does really well for an SUV at the limits.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lrpba300
I think this is all the same, (if you have the RDX w/ tech package) you can turn on / off the dual climate control
Erp, I omitted the "can't"...as in I cannot live without the listed features. As long as the RDX has at least those base features, I am ok. Really hate the Acura MusicLink though, never got it to work quite right in my RL. Reading a bit about it in the RDX and it appears the issue is no further along then when the RL came out.

I think the RDX handles quite well for it's size. Haven't had it up to 100+ yet, but has an amazing quickness and stability for a SUV! It MOVES for a 4 banger w/turbo!
Never having owned a truck or anything that sits this high, I am excited at the prospect of a more comfortable ride. Will have to see how it handles the road, and how the acceleration is. Luckily it's a miserable weekend here in NYC -- perfect to test out another AWD ride!

HELL NO! It is a different type vehicle. For what you pay vs what you get as an Acura, it is an awesome SUV/ CUV. You can't compare directly to an RL, but I think it's just as good for it's class, (or better!) than the RL is for it's class.
This is a good point. I doubt most people would look at an RL and end up in an RDX. What the heck, I've always considered myself a trailblazer and somebody who throws marketresearch off You're right about the RL in it's class, it really is a great car, but it's by no means extravagent in any category. Perhaps the RDX's class is one that acknowledges practicality?

Two silly questions:

1- does the RDX have keyless ignition like the RL?
2- is iPod interfact standard with the tech package, or is it a dealer option?

Thanks all!

-N
Old 01-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Two silly questions:

Thanks all!

-N
1- no
2- it has an AUX jack input. Ipod cable is a dealer option for 60'ish I think. I have an ipod charger/cradle with the aux input and it works great.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Sporty X type

Erp, I omitted the "can't"...as in I cannot live without the listed features. As long as the RDX has at least those base features, I am ok. Really hate the Acura MusicLink though, never got it to work quite right in my RL. Reading a bit about it in the RDX and it appears the issue is no further along then when the RL came out.

Never having owned a truck or anything that sits this high, I am excited at the prospect of a more comfortable ride. Will have to see how it handles the road, and how the acceleration is. Luckily it's a miserable weekend here in NYC -- perfect to test out another AWD ride!

This is a good point. I doubt most people would look at an RL and end up in an RDX. What the heck, I've always considered myself a trailblazer and somebody who throws marketresearch off You're right about the RL in it's class, it really is a great car, but it's by no means extravagent in any category. Perhaps the RDX's class is one that acknowledges practicality?

Two silly questions:

Thanks all!

-N
Animagix already answered these, but on #2, do a search & someone has done some MAJOR work / research & rewired for Sirius radio, (?)..maybe someone will come up w/ Ipod rework?? (I don't have the Tech option, so I can't talk directly about it) You can plug in directly to the AUX jack in the dash
Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 PM
rdxsteverino

-N
One thing to consider regarding the RDX vs. RL ride. Since the RDX is higher, the suspension is a bit stiffer to maintain the responsive cornering. Probably not as comfortable as the RL for long road trips, particularly in the rear seats. But it does well on the twisties.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Sporty X type

Nabbs wrote.." Perhaps the RDX's class is one that acknowledges practicality?"

I would say that the RDX not ONLY speaks of practicality, it is an all around vehicle!
It is higher than your RL..not as high as MOST SUV's
Handles as good as your RL..NO, but it's better than ANY SUV that's within $10k of the price...
Has got the acceloration of your RL? Maybe not, but I bet it will fool you like it does many people. It is a QUICK SUV! (for a 4k lbs. SUV w/ a 4 banger...TURBO's make a BIG diff!)
Handles like your RL..No again, but it sure handles WAY better than any SUV type vehicle I've ever driven!
More room, great ride, (for an SUV), power, SH-AWD! Drive it! Find some twisty roads. See what it will do. You will be impressed. It is buy the way, an ACURA built SUV /CUV!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Suzuka Master

While the decision is ultimately yours, I will give my input.

I would NOT trade a second generation RL for the RDX. While the RDX is a nice car, I believe you will be disappointed. The RL is much more refined on many levels, from the interior (fit and finish, material quality, soft surfaces) to the 7 coats of paint. The RL is Acura's flagship car and in my opinion is one of the only Acuras that is truly "Luxury."

In terms of "space" I think you are kidding yourself. I am not sure exactly what utility you need the vehicle for, but having four passengers in the RL is much more comfortable than the RDX, even the TL is more comfortable for four passengers IMO.

Based of what I would think you could get for the RL, I think you may be more satisfied with an MDX. The MDX is, in my opinion, very close competition to the RL, and gives you that utility you want... But personally, I would stick with the RL unless I absolutely needed that utility.

Mike
Old 01-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Racer

They are both fine cars in their own right, but to compare them is silly. The RDX is a 35k SUV and the RL is a 50k sedan. Apples to Oranges.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Pro

Having driven and ridden in both, I personally much prefer the RL over the RDX. But there are pros and cons to the comparison.

Pros:
-Higher ride height = better visibility
-More cargo space than RL
-Surprisingly quick for an SUV (CUV if you must)

Cons:
-Missing many tech features of RL (keyless go, memory seats, power passenger seat, rear sunscreens, ACC and CMBS when equipped)
-For me at 6'2" any seat but the driver's seat seems too high and passenger legroom is not as large as the RL
-Fit and finish of the body, paint, and materials of the RL are much better

If I had the money I'd stick with the RL or go with an '07 MDX fully loaded which would give the cargo space as well as providing most of the comforts the RL does.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by crazymjb
While the decision is ultimately yours, I will give my input.

I would NOT trade a second generation RL for the RDX. While the RDX is a nice car, I believe you will be disappointed. The RL is much more refined on many levels, from the interior (fit and finish, material quality, soft surfaces) to the 7 coats of paint. The RL is Acura's flagship car and in my opinion is one of the only Acuras that is truly "Luxury."

In terms of "space" I think you are kidding yourself. I am not sure exactly what utility you need the vehicle for, but having four passengers in the RL is much more comfortable than the RDX, even the TL is more comfortable for four passengers IMO.

Based of what I would think you could get for the RL, I think you may be more satisfied with an MDX. The MDX is, in my opinion, very close competition to the RL, and gives you that utility you want... But personally, I would stick with the RL unless I absolutely needed that utility.
Mike

Luxury is such a subjective term. I am down in Aruba on Vaca and I am walking out of a restaurant and a 2006 white RL pulls up. Only on closer inspection it is not an Acura RL but a Honda RL, complete with the big "H" in the grill.

Same exact car. Reminds me when I was in Australia 15 years ago where they sold the Honda Intregra.

Just goes to show you in effect they are all great cars cause they are Hondas. The Acura name is just Marketing. I wonder what they opinion would be of an RL if it sold as a Honda in the US, probably less of an opinion but not for any objective reason.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Instructor

As much at it pains me to say it: I too do not view the RL as a luxury car. Instead it is more of an upscale sedan. The thing that appealed to me the most about the RL was the usability. The car is extremely reliable and very well thought-out, designed, and built. Furthermore, since it is the top of the Acura and Honda line it has every option one could want. You can see that Acura is careful to protect the RL, by excluding some of the amenities found in it from th RDX (why no power pax seat?). This is perhaps what worries me the most about swapping cars, so we'll have to see. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to sort through the RDX.

-N
Old 01-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Acuras since 1988

I traded my RL I owned 2 RLS, one day I was waiting for my car to be serviced, and the rdx caught my eye. I bought one that week. It is certainly not luxurious, or as prestigous as the Rl, and it is a different animal. I bought it caused i like the extra space, the AWD, and I was bored after having driven sedans for the last 15 years. I don't regret it ONE BIT. It is so much fun to drive. Now where you are going to enjoy that aspect in NYC is beyond me.
But it is a different animal, not as much interior comfort room if you are 6 foot plus. I would like to have a littlre more legroom. It also lacks all the wood trimmed niceness, and luxury features including memory seats. But bottom line I'm glad I did it.