TOV Review - SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
TOV Review - SH-AWD

Temple of VTEC video review of RDX - great commentary relative to the utilization of the SH-AWD system on the RDX. Great video....

My apologies if a repost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQJetBZtMRc&NR
Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's all good. =)
Old 01-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
hmmm---what does he mean by "knowing how to drive the SH-AWD"
How exactly do you drive it ?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by SilverJ
hmmm---what does he mean by "knowing how to drive the SH-AWD"
How exactly do you drive it ?
The reviewer, while driving, kept stating to brake early before the corner and then roll into the corner and power thru the corner and staying on the power.

I believe this allows those outside wheels to become more active thru the SH-AWD system and start to correct the understeer.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripp11
The reviewer, while driving, kept stating to brake early before the corner and then roll into the corner and power thru the corner and staying on the power.

I believe this allows those outside wheels to become more active thru the SH-AWD system and start to correct the understeer.
yeah, just figured this out over the weekend. Usually break and go through turns a little slow, but you actually turn better and tighter with less horizontal pull while accelerating because you can actually feel the rear outside tire pushing you through. Great on windy roads and highway ramps.

Quite amazing actually, though I know I'll have to be careful when driving an ordinary SUV not to do the same thing.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, thanks for posting that, Tripp, that was an interesting vid. Looked like even though he was braking, he took quite a few of those turns at speed. I have a book called "Going Faster -- Mastering the Art of Race Driving" by the Skip Barber Racing School. The book advises the same style of driving for faster track times -- brake going into the turn, accelerate going out of it.

TOV has a few other RDX vids on youtube; all are worth watching. The one on the underside of RDX is pretty interesting. The reviewer made no bones about pointing out things Acura could improve upon...the smallish muffler chamber and he really griped about the narrow exhaust pipe leading to it.

He also said there's unnecessary drag that's created by not having sheathing under the front cowling, engine, and rear bumper. My guess is that Acura didn't want to create an unnecessary cost increase to go with that sheathing! Ha. Does anyone know if they feature this underbody sheathing on other Acuras? I don't recall my late wife's '99 TL having it.

I don't know much about the rear diffuser accessory -- does anyone know if this is indeed its function -- to create less drag? Or is it to ensure less dirt ends up on your tail?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Since I am an aero/mechanical engineer, let me pipe up here -- the TOV undercar video is not good. Without wind tunnel testing, or computational fluid dynamics analysis, or both, there is no way to tell what is needed and not needed under the car. I would bet that the Honda engineers figured it out and the RDX is fairly optimized for undercarriage drag and wind noise. I don't think the TOV guys have enough expertise in aerodynamics to really know what they're looking at, unfortunately. Even if they did, they would need aerodynamic analysis to really figure it out -- you can't do it walking around with a video camera!

Several of the things pointed out in the TOV video make me question their expertise in turbo powertrains (not surprising since Honda has not done a lot of turbos). Whenever they say something like "we'd like to see", it's my honest impression as an engineer that they do not understand what's going on. For instance, the way exhaust backpressure works on turbo motors is fundamentally different than normally aspirated engines, so their nit-picks about the exhaust plumbing are not even relevant. There were a couple other comments that were way off the mark. I imagine a Honda engineer could give us a very detailed and accurate undercar analysis, but the TOV one does not look to credible to me.

The RDX rear diffuser appears to be cosmetic, and simply tacks on to the rear bumper cover. A real diffuser would have a duct that extended under the car, and would generally be bolted to a hard point. Low pressure in the duct would increase downforce with a small drag penalty. Many racecars and high end sports cars use this arrangement. The RDX piece merely looks like the exit of a diffuser, but doesn't actually have a duct, and it's not structural, thus incapable of transmitting any sort of aerodynamic load.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by c_hunter
Since I am an aero/mechanical engineer, let me pipe up here -- the TOV undercar video is not good. Without wind tunnel testing, or computational fluid dynamics analysis, or both, there is no way to tell what is needed and not needed under the car. I would bet that the Honda engineers figured it out and the RDX is fairly optimized for undercarriage drag and wind noise. I don't think the TOV guys have enough expertise in aerodynamics to really know what they're looking at, unfortunately. Even if they did, they would need aerodynamic analysis to really figure it out -- you can't do it walking around with a video camera!

Several of the things pointed out in the TOV video make me question their expertise in turbo powertrains (not surprising since Honda has not done a lot of turbos). Whenever they say something like "we'd like to see", it's my honest impression as an engineer that they do not understand what's going on. For instance, the way exhaust backpressure works on turbo motors is fundamentally different than normally aspirated engines, so their nit-picks about the exhaust plumbing are not even relevant. There were a couple other comments that were way off the mark. I imagine a Honda engineer could give us a very detailed and accurate undercar analysis, but the TOV one does not look to credible to me.

The RDX rear diffuser appears to be cosmetic, and simply tacks on to the rear bumper cover. A real diffuser would have a duct that extended under the car, and would generally be bolted to a hard point. Low pressure in the duct would increase downforce with a small drag penalty. Many racecars and high end sports cars use this arrangement. The RDX piece merely looks like the exit of a diffuser, but doesn't actually have a duct, and it's not structural, thus incapable of transmitting any sort of aerodynamic load.
Do you work in the automotive industry by any chance? I'm a mechanical engineering co-op student and I would really like to work in the automotive industry one day.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
Do you work in the automotive industry by any chance? I'm a mechanical engineering co-op student and I would really like to work in the automotive industry one day.
Nope -- I am a NASA engineer primarily working aeronautics R&D, but I have worked on ground vehicle aerodynamics over the years.

I also wanted to work in the automotive industry when I was in college, until I got into aerospace R&D and found it to be more exciting for me. From what I hear, there are a lot of low-tech engineering jobs in the auto industry that are not real interesting, so you really have to look hard for one of the cool jobs. Plenty of automotive MEs spend their whole career designing mechanical parts, which may not be all that interesting.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

That is good to hear on the TOV undercarriage vid. I have to say that one put me off a bit! (Well, that and the jorts that guy wears. ) Thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Some of his comments about drving style are spot on.

I spent a few hours on Mulholland Hwy and Stunt Rd. this weekend and SH-AWD takes some getting used to! It's really strange coming from RWD - the only way I can describe it is that it feels like you are getting a little push from behind. Since my car was brand new (<200 mi) I did not get on it hard enough to get the a$$ end to come around, but I had not problem keeping up with the "weekend warrior" type motorcycle riders thru the twisties.

I'm gona need some more practice with the drving dynamics. When it's broken in, I'm going to WIllow Springs.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:55 AM
Instructor

This was useful information I can rationally apply. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Newbie for Life

Nice, informative post, c_hunter - thanks!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
nice post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Nope -- I am a NASA engineer primarily working aeronautics R&D, but I have worked on ground vehicle aerodynamics over the years.

I also wanted to work in the automotive industry when I was in college, until I got into aerospace R&D and found it to be more exciting for me. From what I hear, there are a lot of low-tech engineering jobs in the auto industry that are not real interesting, so you really have to look hard for one of the cool jobs. Plenty of automotive MEs spend their whole career designing mechanical parts, which may not be all that interesting.
The reason why I'm studying mechanical engineering is I want to work in the automotive field. In fact, I really want to be working at Honda or become a car designer. But from what you are saying, I guess it's not easy to find a job in that area...which is kind of depressing....
Old 01-04-2007, 01:33 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

The reason why I'm studying mechanical engineering is I want to work in the automotive field. In fact, I really want to be working at Honda or become a car designer. But from what you are saying, I guess it's not easy to find a job in that area...which is kind of depressing....
iforyou...hey, chin up, buddy. Just because it's not easy doesn't mean it's not doable. If it were easy, it wouldn't be a challenge, hence it wouldn't be any fun. Do what you want to do in life. Period. I have met too many people who took a job or career route just because it was "easy" for whatever reason -- easy money, easier to avoid their own interests and fears, etc.. These people were too scared to fight for what they believed in and/or what they wanted. Today they are mere shadows of their true selves and happiness constantly eludes them.

Don't be them. Be YOU. Make your dreams happen, visualize them and work toward them daily — I wish someone had told me that when I was still in school. Oh, wait a sec, someone did. She came along at just the right time when I was thinking of giving up on my dreams and settling for...I didn't even know what. All I knew was the thought of not doing what I wanted felt like pulling a thick black curtain around my existence.

I married that someone. And yeah, sometimes life IS depressing. But I keep at it, I keep following my dreams and trying to make life better because I know that the alternative would mean cheating myself out of something great. And I know certain people here and "not here" are counting on me to get the most out of it...to make my mark, and hopefully somehow make the world a better place.

And if I can keep at it, you can too, pally. So hang in there. Work a little harder if necessary. Or a lot harder. In the end, by persevering, you may be led to something even more fulfilling such as c_hunter has done with his aerospace career.

Regardless of what happens or where you end up, you will discover something truly great along the way...yourself.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Instructor

Anything of value worth doing is hard. But someone will be in that place you describe so why not you!

We all have our limits, and a few of them are real, but it is only the self-imposed ones that will cause us to "regret."
Old 01-04-2007, 09:48 AM

Well, I wasn't saying that so much as I was saying to look hard for one of the good jobs in the field. If you have good grades and a degree from a respected school, you can definitley land a job in the field. It will help to have an idea of what you want work on, and go for that. I guess my main point was to be careful of becoming compartmentalized into a boring job -- there is such a wide range of engineering that goes into the automotive field, there is a wide spectrum of jobs from lame to cool to glamorous. If you know what you want, go for it!

Within the automotive field, what sorts of things interest you?

PS: here is some of the work I have done on heavy trucks in recent years:

http://www.tecplot.com/showcase/cont.../article01.htm

This was some of my consulting work outside of my regular job. It was cool because it combined my interest in cars/trucks with my expertise in aerodynamics. I stopped working this particular project for Solus in August.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Wow, that is awesome, c_hunter. Very cool. I'd say you know a lot more than your share of vehicle aerodynamics!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:24 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Thanks guys. It's hard to not feel depressing from time to time, but I overcome these "depressions" most of the time.

I think I'm interested in exterior design of a car. Whenever I have time, I like to draw cars. Of course, my drawings are nowhere near "good" when compared to drawings of professional car designers. Sometimes I don't know if engineering is really right for me because I have very little mechanical knowledge. But I guess if I like to design cars, then it's important to have some mechanical engineering knowledge. I think it's important to design a car that's both beautiful and practical. Otherwise, you will come up with cars such as the Audi TT, which looks pretty, but obviously the designer doesn't know much about aerodynamics.

Anyways, I would like to type more, but I have to get up early in the morning for this new Co-op job I'm having since this tuesday.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 AM

Thanks guys. It's hard to not feel depressing from time to time, but I overcome these "depressions" most of the time.

I think I'm interested in exterior design of a car. Whenever I have time, I like to draw cars. Of course, my drawings are nowhere near "good" when compared to drawings of professional car designers. Sometimes I don't know if engineering is really right for me because I have very little mechanical knowledge. But I guess if I like to design cars, then it's important to have some mechanical engineering knowledge. I think it's important to design a car that's both beautiful and practical. Otherwise, you will come up with cars such as the Audi TT, which looks pretty, but obviously the designer doesn't know much about aerodynamics.

Anyways, I would like to type more, but I have to get up early in the morning for this new Co-op job I'm having since this tuesday.

You might also want to look into industrial design -- that's where a lot of car designers get their start (along with the guy at Apple -- Jonathan Ive -- who does a lot of cool computer/iPod designs). I have always thought that would be a cool area to work in, if I had more artistic talent!! I am strictly a mechanical drawing person though; as soon as I get away from straight edges, french curves, templates, and compasses, my drawing skills resemble a pre-schooler.

The TT has some interesting aerodynamic characteristics, unfortunately it resulted in a lot of instability at high speeds because flow was getting wierd at the back of the car and creating lift. They added the rear spoiler to cause flow to separate in a predictable location to enhance stability. I am sure they took a small hit in drag though.

One of the most interesting designs is the Prius -- it has what's called a "Kamm" back design. Looks like it would be lousy, but is actually quite efficient. The idea is to maintain favorable flow as far back as possible, then let it separate off the vehicle at the last minute. You end up with an overall decrease in drag, despite having a large base area. This is one of those aspects of aerodynamics that wouldn't make sense on a casual glance. The Honda CRX and Insight also used a Kamm back, as did some Shelby race cars in the 60s.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Instructor

At the risk of a cliche, I think you ought to follow your passion as I've found that people passionate about their craft are intoxicating to be around and sufficient money always follows.

I'm fortunate as I look forward every day towards my work. If I knew I was going to die two days from now, I would still go to work tomorrow.

I wish you a similar love of work. But you have to risk something.

I find this speech from Steve Jobs, "Stay Hungry Stay Foolish" most inspirational and the philosophy behind it is what guides my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60cDHb-tvMA
Old 01-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Racer

Iforyou,

There is nothing wrong with having a dream and pursuing it, but you have to be realistic.

I have an Industrial Design degree and once dreamed of being an automotive designer. But I quickly learned that any type of design job is pretty rare in comparison to the number of doctors, lawyers, and teachers in the world. When I was in school there was a study showing that there were 7 million working lawyers and 7,000 working designers. With auto design, you are limiting yourself to maybe 50 companies in the world at the very most (and that may be generous).

I went to school with some very talented people, and some went on to Art Center in Pasadena's auto design program. Out of 100 design students I knew of at that time, only 2 actually got internships with an auto maker, and only 1 actually got a real job at Ford. But he certainly wasn't doing anything glamorous and after a few years he quit to do product design.

I took my degree and became a software User Interface Designer and I enjoy it.

Don't give up, but realistically evaluate your chances and get as much info as possible before proceeding.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Photographer

i have pushed my RDX so that i could feel the SH AWD and all i have to say is WOW! no other feeling like it. I love my SH-AWD
Old 01-07-2007, 12:30 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

From what you guys are saying, it's safe to say that it's not easy to become a car designer even if you are very talented and artistic. I can't draw anything except cars. When it comes to drawing cars, all I can really do is....draw cars. What I mean is that I don't know how to do shading, coloring, and some other fancy things. I don't know, but it seems like I'm quite far away from being a car designer. But besides being a car designer, I can't really think of anything that really interests me. The other thing that I would like to be is a car engineer; but sadly, I also don't know much about cars. Well, I had another dream career in mind when I was younger, but then it's even more unrealistic than becoming a car designer. I wanted to become a race car driver. Soon enough, I found out that not only do you have to be extremely skillful, but you also need a lot of money to start a career in car racing.

Anyways, I will keep my dream of becoming a car designer for now and take a serious look at Industrial Design.