Tires - Anyone tried Yokohama Avid V4s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Acura and BMW enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tires - Anyone tried Yokohama Avid V4s?

Anybody running these tires on their RDX? My stock Michelins are about shot with 25k. Michelin stated they would give me some "goodwill" towards a new set but I doubt it would be worth it since their offerings are so terrible in our wheel size (235/55/18)

Thanks for any feedback.

Brian
Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought about getting those but decided I wanted the Yokohama Parada Spec-X but since they are out of stock till the end of the month I went with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas instead. They worked out fine as I don't have any problems with them.

My tires wore out at 23K. The stock Michelins are very expensive and give the poor mileage I got out of them I decided to try a different brand.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:28 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bmduncan
Anybody running these tires on their RDX? My stock Michelins are about shot with 25k. Michelin stated they would give me some "goodwill" towards a new set but I doubt it would be worth it since their offerings are so terrible in our wheel size (235/55/18)

Thanks for any feedback.

Brian
I have them, they are okay, not exceptional in any way but do everything just fine...I got them last year for use during the winter, so I can't talk about longevity yet...

EDIT: the tires ride great, very comfortable and quiet....some people would say a little on the soft side...
Old 06-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Acura and BMW enthusiast

sj993 - I have the Alenza's on my wife's MDX but I worry about them not being performance oriented enough for the RDX. How's the grip/handling compared to stock? I do like that they appear to be aging gracefully on our MDX from a treadwear standpoint.

wrestrepo - How would you compare them to the stock Michelin's overall? Handling/grip - better or worse?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:45 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
My car had the 19" wheel package, so no Michelins....sorry...
Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Acura and BMW enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
My car had the 19" wheel package, so no Michelins....sorry...
Lucky bastard.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Advanced

sj993 - I have the Alenza's on my wife's MDX but I worry about them not being performance oriented enough for the RDX. How's the grip/handling compared to stock? I do like that they appear to be aging gracefully on our MDX from a treadwear standpoint.

wrestrepo - How would you compare them to the stock Michelin's overall? Handling/grip - better or worse?

Thanks guys.
from this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-tires-wheels-suspension-362/recommended-all-season-tires-rdx-699035/

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
Wondering if you picked one of the above tires? I'm looking at the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza or the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred. The Bridgestones are $180.00 less for the set of 4. Wondering if the bump in price is worth it for the Goodyears. FYI - not many glowing reviews on the OEM tires.
Originally Posted by Samdog-1
After plenty of research, we put on the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas about 20k miles ago. They are considered a highway tire, so are smoother and quieter than OEM. The Dueler does have a deep tread (11/32") so you can detect some tread squirm under hard driving, but overall the handling is quite acceptable; a little more flex than OEM but with a lot more grip.

The Dueler also has a long treadlife warranty, but based on the present wear at 20k I'm not confident that we will get the full 65k out of them.

I don't think the Goodyear is worth the additional $, but that's a personal decision.

We did seriously consider the Michelin Pilot Sports (per BleuM&M) but they are directional and must be dismounted to rotate left to right. Otherwise they stay on the same side of the car, and with AWD can develop uneven wear.

We are quite pleased with the Bridgestones, and if they don't make 65k we will take them down to 2/32" and get another set under warranty.
Originally Posted by Cobi
I live in Virginia but do need to deal with snow/ice now and then.
The Bridgestones did quite well in snow/ice this winter.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys.
They grip very well and the handling is also quite good. The ride is improved as well from the stock Michelins. One of the reasons I got them was because of the treadwear rating. So far I have no complaints.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Acura and BMW enthusiast

Good feedback - Thanks. Looking like the Avids or Alenzas.....
Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

Howdy, I don't know if it matters, but I ran these on my Element....I concur with the quite, nice ride, etc.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the Avid V4S on my RDX for about 3k now. After going through the stock Michelins and a set of Goodyear Comforttreads I believe these are a definite improvement. Quiet, smooth, excellent cornering grip. I just hope they wear better than the Michelins or Goodyears (around 18k for both).
Old 06-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I always wanted to try Pirelli, curious why is it too expensive...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Instructor

I have the avid v4s. after 25K miles on the stocks, the tires had plenty of tread left, but no traction in the snow. since it was winter, i bought the avids. they have been great in the snow and now in the rain. def. a good tire.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Sorry, but this is a little OT. I had the Michelin MXMs on my Honda Accord for years and recently switched to Avid W4S. It was like night and day. The grip with the Avids was phenomenal and it felt like my car was stuck to the asphalt. I'll definitely be looking at the Avids when the Michelins on my RDX wear out.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM
2008 Honda Civic Mugen Si

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats weird how some people are having wear problems on their stock Michelins. I finally changed my original Michelins at 47k miles. After searching around I decided on Yokohoma YK520 (same size 235/55-18 V-speed rating) available only at Discount Tire. They are $151 each with free shipping. Currently I've put on 2k miles on the new tires and so far it's an improvement over the Michelins. Not that I was unhappy with the Michelins, but it never have me any problems, decent noise (pretty quiet on asphalt - a bit noisy on concrete), track straight all the time, no flat spotting, decent wet traction, and it lasted close to 50k with the AWD RDX. However it did get a bit noisier towards the end, but maybe because I have a little bit left till the wear bar.

Anyways, the YK520 so far have been great. No flat spotting, track straight, much better wet traction (even compared to the new OEM Michelins), very very quiet (asphalt or concrete), much softer ride with no sacrifice on sidewall flex during spirited cornering, and better grip that leads all around better handling of the RDX. I am very happy with my decision so far, especially since the price is very reasonable. It supposed to have better tread wear rating than the OEM Michelins, but we shall see.