tire selection - Size: 235/55VR18

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire selection - Size: 235/55VR18

I just bought my RDX a few weeks ago but I'm already researching what would be a good replacement tire when the OEM ones wear out. I was doing this because on past cars I was able to get tremendous performance and ride improvements by paying for upgraded tires. I am also thinking that when i am done breaking my car in I will probably enjoy driving more "spirited" with the Turbo SH-AWD, VSC and other things to keep the car on the road and the tires will wear more quickly.

I was looking over tirerack and some other tire websites for the tires available in our size. I was disappointed by the selection of all season tires. There are some nice summer tires but living in Northern VA there is enough rain and cold conditions I think I need all season tires. After reading through dozens of reviews it sounds like our OEM tires are a good choice for our car. However, I am intrigued by the Yokohama Advan ST

http://preview..com/2tjxtt

I'm hoping as more crossover and other SUVs come out that feature 18 inch wheels the selection will increase and we can get some tires that really help the RDX reach it's full potential. It sounds like we ended up with a nice OEM tire though.

Just curious for any longtime RDX owners reading this thread, how much life have you gotten out of the OEM Michelin tires? How often did you rotate them?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Instructor

The stock tires definitely get a +1 in my book. They have tremendous grip and worked great this past winter in the snow/ice conditions. Even going through turns using the sh-awd, the tires just grip the road.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 AM
07 RDX w/Tech

Your link doesn't work...but this one does:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ADVAN+S.T.

Notice they say do not drive this is near freezing or snow...

Looks like they range from $170-200 per tire.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by optik_rdx
I just bought my RDX a few weeks ago but I'm already researching what would be a good replacement tire when the OEM ones wear out. I was doing this because on past cars I was able to get tremendous performance and ride improvements by paying for upgraded tires. I am also thinking that when i am done breaking my car in I will probably enjoy driving more "spirited" with the Turbo SH-AWD, VSC and other things to keep the car on the road and the tires will wear more quickly.

I was looking over tirerack and some other tire websites for the tires available in our size. I was disappointed by the selection of all season tires. There are some nice summer tires but living in Northern VA there is enough rain and cold conditions I think I need all season tires. After reading through dozens of reviews it sounds like our OEM tires are a good choice for our car. However, I am intrigued by the Yokohama Advan ST

http://preview..com/2tjxtt

I'm hoping as more crossover and other SUVs come out that feature 18 inch wheels the selection will increase and we can get some tires that really help the RDX reach it's full potential. It sounds like we ended up with a nice OEM tire though.

Just curious for any longtime RDX owners reading this thread, how much life have you gotten out of the OEM Michelin tires? How often did you rotate them?

Michelins tend to have pretty good tire tread life. They will probably go for about 40-50 k miles, depending on how you drive them. If you tend to ride them hard, lots of tire spinning will definitely wear them out faster.

You just bought your RDX a few weeks ago, and you are asking how long the tires will last you and wanting to potentially buy new ones soon???
I think they will last about 2 years at least for the typical driver. And if you rotate them regularly, every 7500 miles, you will definitely extend the life of the tires. Plus, if you have them balanced once a year, have your wheel alignment done once a year, you will maintain those tires for awhile...

Unless you intend to have a separate set of summer tires, I would say those michelins will be around for you at least for another 2 years...
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mav238
You just bought your RDX a few weeks ago, and you are asking how long the tires will last you and wanting to potentially buy new ones soon???
I think they will last about 2 years at least for the typical driver. And if you rotate them regularly, every 7500 miles, you will definitely extend the life of the tires. Plus, if you have them balanced once a year, have your wheel alignment done once a year, you will maintain those tires for awhile...

Unless you intend to have a separate set of summer tires, I would say those Michelin's will be around for you at least for another 2 years...
Good point about the rotation and wheel alignment, that is real important for even wear. I know it sounds crazy to be looking into the tires already but upgrading the tires on my past Acura (Bridgestone Turanza LS-H on an Acura CL upgraded from Michelin Energy) made a big improvement in grip in rainy conditions and shopping the different tires was fun. I'm just hoping our selection in 2 years is more varied but so far I'm pretty pleased with our OEM tires.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by porsherules911
The stock tires definitely get a +1 in my book. They have tremendous grip and worked great this past winter in the snow/ice conditions. Even going through turns using the sh-awd, the tires just grip the road.
I think the stock tires are GREAT! I took a tight radius on-ramp the other night faster than I ever have in my life and never heard a peep out of the tires. Understand, I'm not an aggressive driver so that may not say much, but the grip was so good, I could "feel" my stomach.

These are every bit as good as my Firehawk SZ50s I had on a previous car. Those were rated ultra-high performance tires. (Maybe it's just the car that's better )