Thoughts on wheel / tire combo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thoughts on wheel / tire combo?

Stock 18" Michelin MXM4 at 29 lbs + OEM 18" wheel at 26 lbs = combined weight 55 lbs.

Option under consideration:

Sport Edition CD Bright Satin w/Machined Lip $114 ea.
17x7.5, 20lbs.
Offset 48mm
Backspacing 6.14"

+

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo $156 ea.
235/65R17
28.5" diam., 31lbs ea.

Combined weight (tire + wheel) = 51 lbs.

I've had the Revo A/Ts on our Jeep and we think very highly of them.

Thoughts?

-john
Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For winter use? If so, it seems solid.

If not, you can just swap rims and save a few pounds per corner for less money without needing to downsize.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 AM
Advanced

I was wondering if someone could look at these rims and confirm the fit and that all the included bits are there:

Sport Edition CD (bright satin w/machined lip)
17x7.5
$114 ea
offset 48mm
backspacing 6.14"
bolt pattern: 5-114
weight: 20lbs

included:
(4) Sport Edition center cap
(4) required center ring
(20) required lugnuts
(4) retaining clip for AL-P ring +

-john
Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Dude, there was no need to create another thread....

Got the tire pressure monitors?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Sorry, was trying to have one thread about the generic computer effects and one about the specific combo, although things seem to be overlapping a bit.

Yah, am factoring in the sensors.

-john
Old 12-18-2008, 12:09 PM
StayAtHomeDad

hey no problem, I am not a moderator...
did you do a search about tires in this forum? we have discuss them at length in the past....do it and see what comes up..
Old 12-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I had the choice, I'd go with a 35-40 mm backspacing so the tire will stick out a bit further - but 48 will work fine (stock is 45).
Old 12-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
hey no problem, I am not a moderator...
did you do a search about tires in this forum? we have discuss them at length in the past....do it and see what comes up..
Indeed I did, although had a bit of trouble finding the specific info I was looking for. Note I did finally find the wheel wt. and posted a link to the previous post.

Originally Posted by cwepruk
If I had the choice, I'd go with a 35-40 mm backspacing so the tire will stick out a bit further - but 48 will work fine (stock is 45).
Thanks for the feedback.

-john
Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with a set of MSR 092 rims and Scorpion Snow & Ice. I've been a Blizzak user for the longest time until this year. The shop recommended the Pirelli and I'm so glad I listened to them. They're far better than the Blizzak WS-50 we had on our old CRV. They're even better than the LM-25 I have on my TL. The gas mileage improved. It's most likely because we're less aggressive on the gas in the bad weather. But the good news is that it didn't suffer horribly like the Blizzak on my TL. The best part is that you can't even tell you're on snow tires. They're insanely quiet. I am truly impress with Pirelli.

Two solid weeks of frozen snow & ice here in Vancouver and we've been flying through them. We took the car to go skiing, it left everything in the dust up the mountain.

The real test will be next year when they're no longer new. That's when I'll decide to still buy Bridgestone or try Pirelli from now on.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ccfoodog
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo $156 ea.
235/65R17
28.5" diam., 31lbs ea.

Combined weight (tire + wheel) = 51 lbs.
I pulled the trigger on the 17x7.5" satin/machined lip Sport Edition CE and the 235/65R17 Bridgestone Revo A/T.

Purchased (5) CEs via Tirerack with sensors installed. They came well boxed and with proper center hubs for the RDX and a set of lugs.

I purchased the Revo A/Ts via my local Discount Tire who matched the Tirerack price. They also noted they could have ordered the wheels from Tirerack at wholesale so I could have gotten everything from them.

They handle great. A bit more road noise, but not bad.

And I feel the CEs look nice too.

-john
Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Advanced

Oh, I should point out that it appears the Revo AT is being replaced by the Revo AT 2, which doesn't come in the same size selections. My approach was to buy 5 and basically be "self insured" in case one tire gets damaged beyond repair.

The way I figure it is that by the time I need new tires, either the Revo AT 2 will be available in this size, or I can select another tire. There are several reasonable alternatives in this size: Michelin LTX A/T 2, Pirelli Scorpion A/T and ATR, the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S and maybe the milder Bridgestone A/T D695.

-john
Old 10-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Some quick and dirty snapshots.

-john

[MORE PICS]
Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Well, it almost took you a year to buy them
Question, why did you go with the 17"?
These tires seem to have an aggressive traction pattern, was that the intent? mud and snow driving?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Well, it almost took you a year to buy them
Question, why did you go with the 17"?
These tires seem to have an aggressive traction pattern, was that the intent? mud and snow driving?
Details, details. :-)

I went with the 17" because you basically cannot get any aggressive tire to fit the RDX with the 18" wheels.

Yes, I was looking for a more aggressive tire, one that could handle snow better, but I didn't want to go to a dedicated snow tire.

Basically, I see this as sort of a more "super all season" tire.

I ran the Revo A/Ts on our Jeep (year round) for a number of years and thing they are very good at handling pretty much whatever you throw at it. I've found these are very popular with other Jeep Grand Cherokee owners based on tire discussions on the forums.

They have the dual compound rubber for better wet traction and are very resistant to hydroplaning, issues that are important here in the Pacific NW.

I've also found them good in the snow and good on the highway.

As always, YMMV.

From the product blurb:
"The Dueler A/T REVO is Bridgestone's first Off-Road All-Terrain light truck tire in America to feature UNI-T AQII Technology. It uses an advanced compound and construction features that enhance and preserve wet traction throughout the tire's life to better handle wet road conditions.

On the outside, the Dueler A/T REVO molds a Super Long Link Carbon Black, Dual Layer Tread II compound into an aggressive, all-terrain pattern of interlocking tread blocks to provide traction and handling on- and off-road. As the top layer of tread compound wears away, it reveals a second layer specifically developed to resist aging and remain pliable to retain more wet traction-even as it wears."

-john